Author Topic: February 8th - Shivertongue - Essence of Silence prologue (V)  (Read 1663 times)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
February 8th - Shivertongue - Essence of Silence prologue (V)
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:41:21 AM »
As stated, this is the prologue. I also have the first chapter finished, and desperately want to submit it as well.. but since I don't want things thrown at me, I'll hold back until Monday night to see if people object voraciously to the idea.

Anyway, the rating is for some mild violence. Enjoy!
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: February 8th - Shivertongue - Essence of Silence prologue (V)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
Dark woods, bad b-movie dialogue, and wild coincidences.  That is about the sum of the chapter.  dark woods are okay, coincidences are okay, b-movie dialogue . . . . okay that was annoying.

To be more serious (and useful) I shall start at the beginning.

It's actually really well written.  The spiffy prose (of which I envy) are the strongest point.  On top of that, I was terribly fond of the action (that is the running).  The principle character was easy to follow and empathize with.  I was perfectly aware of his fatigue.  When he dropped the baby off I was less impressed, however.

Once that happened the story became fairly predictable (which is funny to say about a prologue).  And by predictable I mean paint-by-numbers type plot twist.  The father drops the kid off, the other guys chase him.  He dies.  They give up looking for the baby (who is obviously significant).  Baby is raised in what I'm guessing will be a little village/farm town and learn magic.  Baby will then grow up, go on a quest (of sorts) beat the dark lord with her magic, and come home, tired of adventures and death.

Even if the story is about as much like that as sand is like water, that's how I feel when I read the chapter.  It's the story of Moses, Elaura Danan (from Willow), Shea Ompsford (The Sword of Shanara), Richard Rahl (The Sword of Truth), heck even my own story takes some elements from this (a note I should take to heart).

Now what I found amusing (and redeeming) was that this "perfect hiding spot," was the usual drop off for children.  That's funny in the coincidence but surprisingly believable in that no one else traveling in that hunting party had a clue what was going on.  This amusement (good amusement) fell on its face, however, when I read apprentice.  I . . .HATE . . . WIZARDS.  But as you can see that's just my personal opinion.  Alternatively, I will admit that seeing the pictures you drew makes me want to read more.  There were some unique points to them (at least from my fashion designing mind) that says "spiffy new world."

And that's I think the main weakness of the piece.  We are introduced to several cultural elements and weirdos (two thumbs = awesome) and yes everything around us rings of being stock photos.  Dark woods, fleeing father, baby left as a last hope.  Yet surprisingly having his wife's body show up made that less predictable and far more interesting.  But again, I think the pieces weakness is that we're first hit with the mundane and only catch glimpses of the interesting.  I realize its a prologue so I shouldn't think to learn everything so quick though why you need a prologue like this I don't understand.  Why can't we just start with Chapter 1?

Argas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:33:28 PM »
As cliche as it was, I found it to be an enjoyable if predictable read. While I agree that the prologue feels unnecessary, it might be helpful in the writing process. Plus, it's a small piece that can be dropped if he ultimately decides to. I'm not too fond of cliches myself but it's a rather short piece so I don't have any problems with the abundance of them so far. I agree that having the dead wife being presented is a nice change.

Like LTU said, it's well-written. It flows well, reads well, and well, that's good I'd say. I do wish to see more.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
Before begin a critique, one quick clarity note:  When the wife's head is thrown at your MC, I didn't understand what was going on.  I thought his wife had tackled him, that she was the bad guy.  It took a couple paragraphs for me to figure out that it was a severed head.  This is easily fixable, although you do realize that a severed head isn't so easily recognizable, right?  Especially in a dark forest.

As to a critique, yes, you are using a trope, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you do need to be careful.  Tropes only work if you can refresh them, give them an original twist.  It's a fine line to walk, but doable.  You have a decent start here, but you might look for a few ways to distance yourself a little further.

As to the coincidence, I think it's acceptable and I liked it, and it didn't conjure up pictures of a little girl being raised in a quaint village, which was good.  In fact, while I did read the "apprentice" bit, I interpreted it to mean mercenary/assassin, not wizard, both of which are possibilities that I can get excited about.  The little girl being raised to be a cold blooded killer=cool.

Anyway, all that being said, the prologue didn't intrigue me and I'm having a hard time pinning down the "why".  I think what threw me was the running part in the beginning.  Man running from bad guy with child in arms = cliche.  Your original elements are not introduced until later, so there was nothing shiny (metaphorically speaking) for me to be attracted to.  My suggestion would be to toss in something a little novel a bit earlier to hook your reader.

Best of luck.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »
Now that I think about it... I'm trying to remember why I have the prologue to begin with. It's been part of the outline for so long, I can't remember it's purpose other than to establish a few things that - now that I consider myself a better writer - can be established in the narrative of the actual story...

...uh, can I submit Chapter One and pretend this never went out?  :-[
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:36:20 AM »
I can sure pretend it never was sent out by simply not reading it, if that's what you desire! It makes it easier for me ;)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Can I send out the first chapter and have everyone pretend it was the only thing sent today? :P

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:53:16 AM »
Can I send out the first chapter and have everyone pretend it was the only thing sent today? :P

Sure, why not? It's still Monday. Maybe just make big disclaimers on the new email saying "Don't read the other email!!!! It sucks!!!"

Because, uh, exclamation marks make things more... emphatic.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:28 AM »
Always want more to read.  gimmiegimmiegimmie!