Author Topic: When does the next Brandon Sanderson-book come out?  (Read 4862 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: When does the next Brandon Sanderson-book come out?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
Brandon has made significant changes to the book even since you read it, BSG, so you probably shouldn't write a review just based on what you read.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Good.  Then I won't feel bad asking Dot for an ARC.  It makes sense that he changes some stuff.  There were some rough areas in that early draft. 

guess--giving bad reviews hasn't stopped me from getting ARCs yet.  In fact I think Nick and I are getting more due to people respecting our honesty.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
is the review public or do you just give it to the author and they decide to release it? If sales are based on your reviews, why would they want honesty if you say you don't like it?

How are first time authors marketed? Is it basically "lets hope people like my cover so they give my book a try" and maybe I can get a few quotes.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
The reviews on Elitist Book Reviews are public.  Reviews of ARCs are typically released withing a week of the book coming out at the publisher's request.  And it's not like people all over the country are saying "OMG!  That one review site said the book was icky!  No one buy it!"  The site Nick and I run is just one opinion out of many.  Personally, I think that by being honest, it gives weight to our reviews.  We don't like everything, but neither to we hate everything. 

Most of the places that send us ARCs know what we like.  As I mentioned before, we get sent things that have a good chance of pleasing us. 

New authors are marketed in various ways.  As I recall, Brandon has little to no advance marketing for Elantris.  However, on the shelves his book had a nice cover, and good cover-quotes.  This made it an attractive book to pick up and read, and then as a bookstore guy, sell.  The marketing is different for every author.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »
I just wanted to jump on and agree with what BSG has said about writing excuses.  A lot of the stuff that is covered in class is covered in writing excuses.  But there's also a ton that isn't covered in class that has been tackled in WE.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »
Brandon said the class is Writing Excuses with a chalkboard. (Well, it also has built-in writing groups. Then again, Writing Excuses has Reading Excuses.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!