Author Topic: Anyone watch Caprica?  (Read 2984 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone watch Caprica?
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »
It is a prequel to battlestar galactica. I do not like the whole "robots that look like people" thing since that has been done in the Matrix and the Terminator. I really like the way they use Sci-fi, but then make the world alot like Earth. I think it is interesting.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone watch Caprica?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
No one likes Battlestar Galactica? And you guys are sci-fi/fantasy fans.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:15:49 AM »
BSG, especially the first season, had some great moments.  I personally feel the latter seasons were hurt by trying to make a fairly abstract religion feel concrete.  Instead, it just became convoluted. I don't think even the writers knew what the hell the religion was all about.

As for Caprica, I have it DVRed.  I will watch it eventually, but I'm busy catching up on 87 bajillion other shows.  It looks interesting.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:45:07 AM »
   I was so let-down by all the religious teasing in Battlestar.  What a huge disappointment.  I won't read Guy Gavriel Kay again, either, for similar reasons, namely such a poor ending to Tigana.  I have been watching Caprica, but bristle at the believers in the One True God being portrayed as terrorists and cultists.  And we all know where it will end, in confusion and one big ambiguous mess ultimately.  But I will watch for now.  Not sure why.  Keeps me on the stationary bike an extra 15 minutes.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »
I don't like the robots that look like people. Been done. they should have come up with a better alien enemy. I also don't like the genious kid who invites the Cylon. We have already seen the lone genious before and it is kind of been done.

The one true god vs. multiple gods really is not a knock on christianity. They are just trying to twist things up and play it backwards. Remember in the series that the president was pro-choice, but out-lawed abortion? You can't have abortion when there are only 50,000 people left. I like complex twists like that.

I am kind of bored with Caprica. I have it recorded. I couldn't watch it all the way through. It is kind of dull and I really don't like the "genious kid invites the cylons". Come on. Real science doesn't work that way.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
I tried to watch Caprica, but it's awful--really and truly just a slow, horrible mess of a show. And this is coming from a guy loved BSG so much, I even loved the ending. I tried to like Caprica, and I gave it three weeks, but I just can't.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »
I tried to watch Caprica, but it's awful--really and truly just a slow, horrible mess of a show. And this is coming from a guy loved BSG so much, I even loved the ending. I tried to like Caprica, and I gave it three weeks, but I just can't.

Agree. The characters were just...odd. Motivations weren't always clear. The story either was too convoluted or uninteresting. Too bad the concept was cool, but they didn't have anywhere to take it.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »
I tries to watch Ep. 1 last night.  It was so blah.  I was bored to death.  And it didn't give be any hooks to keep watching.  Oh well, that will free up 5% of the space on my DVR...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

MaeLavanya

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Adonalsium.net
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
I'm a huge fan of BSG... And as such I had to watch Caprica too, of course :p. I really like it though but I understand where you all are coming from. It can be rather slow. But I hope they will reinvent it for the second season. The ending of the first season sure was promising enough!
You know you want to join us at Adonalsium.net!