Author Topic: I need ugly sounds!  (Read 2304 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
I need ugly sounds!
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:17:28 AM »
I need to think of things that sound really ugly. That make you cover your ears and go "oooo, that's ugly."
That's the kind of ugly I'm talking about.
If it has anything to do with electricty or mechanics or automobiles, or pretty much anything invented after 1900, I can't use it.

It's for a book, by the way. Ah prologues can be so cruel.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: I need ugly sounds!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »
Read China Mieville.  He can give you an idea of ugly sounds (and other things) that are done perfectly.  His descriptions are very visceral.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:28:09 AM »
I've heard the sound of a horse screaming is rather ugly and gut-wrenching. I couldn't describe it in detail, having never heard it, so not sure how much that helps..

Everything else I'm currently able to think of requires electricity or technology, so I'm just gonna second the China Mieville suggestion.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »
Would an ugly sound be someone screaming or  someone dropping a pot and making a really loud noise?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
The ugliest noise I've ever heard that has nothing to do with technology came out of a pig's mouth. Agitated pigs make a lot of noise, and it's horrifying. It sounds stupid to say it's horrifying to hear a pig squeal, but wait 'till you hear it. It's so loud, and visceral, and just ugly. It sounds like something is getting tortured.

In Nicaragua (where I served an LDS mission), people just randomly keep pigs. Oftentimes they butcher their own pigs. When those pigs know the knife is coming…when the squeal crescendos, then sharply cuts off…sheesh, I'm creeping myself out. It's almost worse to write about it than it was to be there.

Or, how about a man's angry scream, followed by running footsteps and the sound of something repeatedly striking flesh? Heard that in Nicaragua too, sitting in someone's (fenced-in) yard. By the time we got to the gate, there was a crowd in the street but we didn't see anyone hurt. I still don't know what happened. Not a happy moment, that.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »
Thank you!
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »
The ugliest sound I have ever heard was my friends nose breaking. It was a mix between a crunch, wet soudning squish, and thnd