Author Topic: Fantasy girls, where are you?  (Read 24238 times)

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy girls, where are you?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:42 AM »
As for the WoT using a lot of clichés: who do you think started most of those? That's almost (but not quite) like saying the Lord of the Rings uses a lot of fantasy clichés. It does...but that's not Tolkien's fault. The blame for that lies in his imitators.

I have to agree that you can't blame the cliches on the original but on the imitators.  Such as Wheel of Time and The Lord of the Rings made the fantasy cliches.  Anyway back to suggesting books.  There are some young adult books I read way back when and they were actually okay.  Except for the fact that they are some of the stereotypical teen romance but one series really popped out for me to be other wise.  It's called the Wicked Lovely Series- by Melissa Marr.  Wicked Lovely is the first in the series.  Though this is third person the only viewpoint isn't a girl but the main protagonist is.

craigles

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:36 AM »
In that case I would highly recommend Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies as well as The Ruins of Ambrai. Although the latter is an incomplete trilogy and might never be finished.

Also Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages Series is well worth trying.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
Daughter of the Empire (and Mistress of the Empire and Servant of the Empire) by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. Mara is one of my favorite heroines ever.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »
It's very kiddie, but Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lionness series is really great for a female protag.  Um, I totally second the mortal instruments series (I CAN'T WAIT FOR CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS!).  I also second the Robin McKinley rec.  Specifically Beauty and Spindle's End.  Darkangel trilogy by Merideth Ann Pierce is old, but really good.  Anything by Mercades Lackey is really awesome too.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:20:59 AM »
(Lois is my favorite author, so I'd recommend almost any of her stuff, though the Sharing Knife series is best read in two-book clumps because each book is really half a book as far as plot sophistication goes.)

Lois is my favorite author too.   ;)

We enjoyed the Sharing Knife books.  Some of the intimate details were a little more detailed than I'm generally comfortable with (not like graphic eroticism or anything), but that was toned down more in the second set (the third and fourth books, that is).  It's an interesting setup and different from the traditional medieval fantasy.
~금강산도 식후경~

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
Wizard's First Rule
Hunger Games
Graceling

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
I second the Melanie Rawn  and Feist's "Mistress of Empire" books recommendation. Also, try Elizabeth Moon's "Deeds of Paksenarrion".  It's one of my favorite books that I go back and re read every so often.  Moon's other series--the Harris Serrano books--feature a strong female protagonist, but they are science fiction rather than fantasy.  If you do like science fiction, try the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
I would also recommend Terrier by Tamora Pierce. It is shelved as young adult but it had more of an adult feel to me.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Morandir

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
I would second the recommendation of the Empire Trilogy by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts.  Excellent series, and although it's helpful to have read at least the original Riftwar Saga it is by no means required.

Also I'd recommend the Dragon Ship Trilogy by Robin Hobb.  She's a great author who does a good job of making you care about her characters.  This trilogy takes place in the same world as her Assassin trilogy but only one character is present in both.  The Assassin trilogy also contains strong female characters but they aren't leading characters.

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »
I second (third?) the recommendation of Melanie Rawn.  Dragon Prince and the series following it are really, really good.  :)

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire have alot of female characters.

I second Song of Ice and Fire series

I feel obligated to give a little warning about A Song of Ice and Fire. Are the books awesome? YES!

BUT, don't expect the series to get finished. He's been working on the latest book for over 4 years. (More like 7 years because book 4 was split in publication.) Even after all that time there is still no clue when the next book will get finished. The last official update on his site is over 2 years old.

The existing books are great to read, but don't expect any closure to the story any time soon, if at all.

Those who like Robert Jordan understand that. He has written other stuff in the last few years. I think he has published 2 novels. He runs a shared world of short stories called Wild Cards. I heard they were good. He also has a 3rd book of short stories with alot of big named authors (called Warriors) out soon.

HBO filmed a pilot for his song of ice and fire books last fall. I think GRRM actually wrote the screenplay. He hinted at it on his website. If he is writing the screenplays for the hbo series, his books will take a long time to get done... that is really time consuming.

I like GRRMs blog. www.georgerrmartin.com

Gotta follow a fellow Giants and Jets fan! BTW, GRRM was friends with Robert Jordan.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »
It's very kiddie, but Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lionness series is really great for a female protag. Um, I totally second the mortal instruments series (I CAN'T WAIT FOR CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS!). I also second the Robin McKinley rec. Specifically Beauty and Spindle's End. Darkangel trilogy by Merideth Ann Pierce is old, but really good. Anything by Mercades Lackey is really awesome too.

I third (I'm not sure if that's possible) the Robin McKinley recommendation.  The books I would recommend though would be The Hero and The Crown also The Blue Sword (which is the sequel-ish book to The Hero and the Crown).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
Elitist Book Reviews bashed one of the Dragon Ship books by Hobb.... and Steve generally has good reason (though it may be lacking with WoT :P)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 01:04:37 AM »
I've been having the same problem for a while now - looking for a god fantasy novel or series (preferably the latter) with a STRONG female protagonist/main character/hero. I've found several, some in just the past few months - Diana Pharoah Francis' Path series; The Jewelfire Trilogy by Freda Warrington, and many others - but not near enough to sate my hunger. This thread has added several to my 'To Read' list.  ;D
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »
The Hobb books he was talking about were actually the Liveship books, not the later sequel that EBR bashed, Dragon Keeper. The Liveship books are my favorite of hers.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!