Author Topic: Fantasy girls, where are you?  (Read 28451 times)

Moggle

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy girls, where are you?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
Safety should always be the main concern.   :)

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
I agree. 

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
I just don't want anyone getting mentally hurt.

Good aspiration. :) In my experience, recommending books you enjoy doesn't hurt anyone, mentally or physically, especially when the person you're recommending the books to has asked for recommendations. If someone takes offense, that's their problem, not yours.

If she's isn't, then who is?  Kahlan is actually much better than the two others I mentioned. 

I'm unfamiliar with the other two books you mentioned, although I have been meaning to read The Hunger Games. However, if Kahlan is better than those other two, I'll have to make sure not to read it when I'm in the mood for a REAL female protagonist. The Sword of Truth doesn't have those. It has Richard. Everyone else is secondary....

And Kahlan IS a love interest. Sure, she has her own adventures, but the only reason she's in the story is because she is a love interest.

just be careful next time, you don't know who on here might mistakenly take you up on your recommendations :)

Just because you really disliked a book doesn't mean everyone else dislikes it. Obviously you like The Sword of Truth. Many people on here really DON'T like it. And I'm sure the 190 people on Amazon who reviewed The Blue Sword and gave it 5 stars disagree with you....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »
I believe that everyone is entitled to there own opinions and to me The Blue Sword is a good book(not the best but it is good).  Also you should read the Hunger Games they are a very good series.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

Good aspiration. :) In my experience, recommending books you enjoy doesn't hurt anyone, mentally or physically, especially when the person you're recommending the books to has asked for recommendations. If someone takes offense, that's their problem, not yours.

If she's isn't, then who is?  Kahlan is actually much better than the two others I mentioned. 

I'm unfamiliar with the other two books you mentioned, although I have been meaning to read The Hunger Games. However, if Kahlan is better than those other two, I'll have to make sure not to read it when I'm in the mood for a REAL female protagonist. The Sword of Truth doesn't have those. It has Richard. Everyone else is secondary....

And Kahlan IS a love interest. Sure, she has her own adventures, but the only reason she's in the story is because she is a love interest.

just be careful next time, you don't know who on here might mistakenly take you up on your recommendations :)

Just because you really disliked a book doesn't mean everyone else dislikes it. Obviously you like The Sword of Truth. Many people on here really DON'T like it. And I'm sure the 190 people on Amazon who reviewed The Blue Sword and gave it 5 stars disagree with you....

Dont even get me started on Terry Badkind.  How many trees lost their lives printing that rubbish?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:17 AM »
Dont even get me started on Terry Badkind.  How many trees lost their lives printing that rubbish?

Haha. Precisely.

Also, I was waiting for you to come around here and see the topic of conversation. I was looking forward to your response. You didn't disappoint. :P
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
   You might like Carol Berg's Bridge of D'Arnath series.  Son of Avonar comes first.  The last one of the five is the best, which is always nice.  Seri is a wonderful main character and Carol's writing is superb. 

Also, there are great female lead characters in abundance in Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy.  It is best to read The Farseer trilogy first, starting with Assassin's Apprentice which also boasts many strong women as side characters, but one can start out with Ship of Magic without losing too much context.

Pratchett's Tffany Aching books are YA, but oh so good.  Worth the fluff.  :)

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:28 AM »
I've noticed YA books are really the place to look if you want good, well written female protagonists. I am assuming the trend will push upward to the "adult" books. I hope it gets more girls to read SF/fantasy. I felt incredibly alone as a teenage female fantasy fan. Now there are legions of us and our numbers are growing. It makes me happy.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 01:56:52 AM »
More women read fantasy than men....we're more verbose about it.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »
I would have to agree (even though I'm a guy and a fantasy fan).  I can list ten girls off the top of my head who read fantasy for every one or two guys. 

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 05:09:53 AM »
I can't but surveys do prove it. I know of more guys than girls but that doesn't mean they don't, I just don't know (maybe they're embarresed of nerdom).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »

She's a main character that happens to also be the love interest for another character, but that's not all she is.  There's a huge difference between being a fully developed character with their own motivations and goals to a simple plot device.  You don't devote roughly half of each of your books to a character if that's all he or she is.  

If I can save one life it was worth it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Kahlan is nothing more than the archetype "damsel in perpetual distress."  She is there to serve as character conflict for Richard, nothing else.  If you want to consider that a female lead, OK, but she isn't a strong or even good lead.  Half of the problems Richard faces (and then solves on pure accident at the end of the novels--another issue entirely) are due to Kahlan being a complete moron.  As a general rule, I detest stories that rely on character stupidity to further the plot/conflict.  Goodkind has become a master of this avenue of story-telling, all-the-while coating it with a false, thin facade of intelligence by ripping off Ayn Rand.

But hey, some people like it.  More power to them.  If it gets them reading so they can be introduced to better authors like Erikson, Jones, Abercrombie, etc., then awesome.  All I have to say is each person likes different things.  Just because you don't like Blue Sword, doesn't mean others wont.  Just because I detest Goodkinds garbage, doesn't mean others wont think it's awesome.  But don't knock someone because they happened to like a novel and recommended it.  We aren't a fraking Hive Mind on book tastes.

That said, most of the novels I read have a ton of characters, both female and male.  I mean, Erikson, Abercrombie, Martin, Lloyd, Mieville, Barclay...they all have strong female characters in the series.  I think the best novels have a nice mix of male vs. female characters.  I do enjoy some novels that have mostly an all-male cast--usually they are balls-out action novels--but I cant really get into novels that are mostly female led.  Those novels usually have unicorns on the front (Mercedes Lackey anyone?). I just cant stomach that.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
Here's a statistic that may surprise you. Of the 3,500 people who have fanned Brandon's Facebook page, it's 67% male. That holds across most age ranges, and the biggest demographic—ages 25–34, is 72% male. (The smallest demographics, 45–54 and 55+ are evenly male/female to balance that out.)

This article says toward the end of 2007, Facebook was 2/3 female.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/21/facebook-is-almost-23-women-and-other-stats/
If that is still true, Brandon's readership may be even more skewed toward males than the Facebook fan page indicates.

This is a surprise to me. I expected the ratio to be much more even. Now, it has to be understood that the vast majority of Brandon's fans on Facebook are Wheel of Time fans—but that is another fandom that I expected to be more evenly split.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
Thank you Peter that really helps explain the issue on which gender readsmore fantasy or fantasy written by Brandon Sanderson.