Author Topic: Where can i buy a phone w/o having to buy service?  (Read 2828 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Where can i buy a phone w/o having to buy service?
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »
My phone was sucked into another dimension after 3 years (and it was almost as old as texting and refused to break...pure awesomeness) I have Sprint service through my father (living at home and attending school has to have SOME perks right?) and refuse to buy a new plan. So does anyone know where i can get a rather inexpensive phone on the Sprint network?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Where can i buy a phone w/o having to buy service?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:12:11 AM »
Well, a lot of manufacturers sell their phones unsubsidized and unlocked, but this is rather expensive, you can always try ebay, which can get you mixed results.

In all, you need to look for an unlocked (or sprint) CDMA phone. Since sprint is CDMA, you will have to call them and talk with them to get it up and working on their network. Note that they can always tell you no to doing this, but I have never HEARD of that happening. They might also charge you an activation fee.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
Thanks...I'm checking ebay out right now. I'm going to try to find some old phone still in the box.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:17:44 AM »

You can buy iPhones from the Apple Store with no service.  They can be unlocked pretty easily.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:32:51 AM »
I'm cheap....$100.00 on a phone isn't going to happen. I spent all day looking a leather jackets and i found one 65% and only $90.00 (Burlington Coat Factory if you were curious) so yeah if i want something badly i get it but i look around before i buy. GO STINGY PEOPLE!!!!! :P

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:21:05 AM »

You can buy iPhones from the Apple Store with no service.  They can be unlocked pretty easily.

Iphones are GSM and won't work on sprint :P

Also, any unlocked/non-subsidized smart phone is really gonna hurt the wallet.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Ran across this and thought it might interest you, kaz. Heard it advertised on the radio around here.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx

It's a government run program that gives you a free phone and minutes per month without a contract if you qualify, though you have to basically be eligible for it, depending on how much money you make.

Dunno how much you make, but if just use a simple phone for calling and such, and if you qualify (like a working student or something maybe, dunno where you work or anything) seems like it might be a good deal for ya.

Also, dunno how you feel about using government aid simply because you qualify (which is kinda a problem with the welfare system.....)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
Yeah my pride won't allow me to ever use a government program I don't specifically pay for in advance i.e. unemployment, SSI, etc., and I have a phone identical to my old one!!!! Yay for me!!!

Edit: I'm a full time student at University of Texas at Dallas and work about 12-20 hours at Brookstone as the Head Sales-Associate.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:45:56 PM by Six More Weeks of Kaz »

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »
Oh dude.  I so miss Los Lupes in Carrollton.  If you get the chance, go there and order the quail and a great big glass of Tamarindo!  :)

For that matter I miss La Madeleine, the Panera and the mall in Flower Mound.  Ah well. We live, and move, and have being.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »
I have a Texan ring from puretexan.com instead of a class ring so i love DFW. Though i rarely go to Denton county and the Flower Mound area.....