Author Topic: Heaven in a touch screen pad!  (Read 9496 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Heaven in a touch screen pad!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 08:29:55 PM »
Ugh. People with a little knowledge....

http://www.apple.com/server/

this is not a server. As much as they spin it.

windows can run on a Mac, sure. windows was made to run anywhere. But try connecting a Unix server to a Mac, or, god forbid, a Windows server to a Mac. Have fun kids.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
The company I worked for ran Apple XServes, running Mac OS X Server, and the Windows PCs in the office never had problems connecting to them in the 4 years I was there. And I worked on a Windows 2000 or XP machine connecting to those servers every day.

It's clear you've had a bad experience with Macs for a long time, but a lot of people and a lot of companies make it work.  Many of your statements sound prejudiced and downright ignorant. I think you've lost credibility with many people in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:43:18 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »
Yeah, mtlhddoc2, I'm getting tired of you making inaccurate claims as though they were fact, then, when called on it, redefining the world to fit your claims. I think I'm through here.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 02:30:09 AM »

Definition:
Server - a computer that makes services, as access to data files, programs, and peripheral devices, available to workstations on a network.

Computer - Also called  processor.  an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

So technically anything that processes data electronically that connects to other things is a server. . . . Whether you like it or not.

Also I have used things many times that go between Mac and Windows that work more than fine.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
Finally back. Super Bowl was pretty awesome, even if I did have to work in the belly of the stadium during it. Really sucked working it though, since it is a TV production, there was a lot of MAC crap that kept breaking down. But the two weeks off after the fact were really nice.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
I think I have figured out when mtlhddoc2 is happy.... the surest sign is that he is complaining about apple products.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
oh no, not even close. I am happiest when they work, because that means I dont have to fix them.

But you know what works really really well. the I-Pod touch. Never had a problem with mine. The zune sucks though. I always give credit where credit is due. If this was 1992, I would be praising Apple up and down and disparging IBM. As a matter of fact, I was very upset with my company at the time when they removed the old apples and Commodores and installed IBMs - took me months of programming to get them right. But slowly and surely, apple dropped itself into a pit of self-riteous indignation and they now make computer which may suit a complete moron just fine, but anyone that has any really working knowledge hates.

Pogi Dave

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »
I hate that everyone compares Windows to Apple.  Apple is a computer company, meaning it controls the hardware.  Windows is an operating system.   It has to deal with 1000's (or more) of different hardware configurations.

My experiences with Leopard and Snow Leopard (The two latest Apple OS's) are worse than my experiences with Windows. 

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 01:11:24 AM »
If the Ipad ran OS-X it would be worth the hype.  If it ran Windows 7 it would be equally cool.  The hardware is nice, but face it, Ipod OS is intended for smartphones.  It just isn't realistic for the Ipad niche.  EEE's new offering with Windows 7 or Ubuntu 4 is a better more cost effiective option in the same niche.

If PC-BSD didn't have to fight gnu just to get apps made available it would be a great option without the big corporate heavy trying to force you into a distributed computing model that loses you control over your data, apps and privacy.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 04:24:19 AM »

speaking of smart phones and Linux. Have you seen the ELSE?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
No.  Where cell phones are concerned, I'm abstaining because of GPS chips and texting.  One is just too much power for big brother and the other is just too much power for overly needy friends. :P  But what I meant was that the new Eee PC is a convertible netbook/tablet with the same screen realestate as an IPAD with a 60GB drive and Win7 or Ubuntu and a 5-8 hour battery life depending on usage.  The screen and the mouse pad both support gestures.

It's only about twice as thick as the Ipad and only about 2lbs.  It's more powerful, more economical and still gives you the ability to use it for EBooks.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.