Author Topic: When does the next Brandon Sanderson-book come out?  (Read 4861 times)

Ogge

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
When does the next Brandon Sanderson-book come out?
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
Any ideas?  ;D
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
Re: When does the next Brandon Sanderson-book come out?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
August 17.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:38:36 AM »
Way of Kings, I believe.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
If a firm release date is listed, does this mean the book is done? Is it in editing? I am just not sure how dates are set in publishing.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
I think he is done writing the book, but mostly the release date was just a guess as to when it would be ready for sell. It may even change, but I don't think it will.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:31:11 AM »
Brandon is still revising the book. Normally a book should be finished a year before it comes out, but Tor is making an exception here. Brandon will finish major revisions this month and probably finish final revisions in March. At that point it will go to ARC and will be copyedited. Usually the ARC is done after the copyedit but the schedule for this book is tight.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:13:43 AM »
What is ARC?
So the book has to be 100% done a year before it gets published? Does this include editing? Is that normal? Why?

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:31:00 AM »
An ARC, or Advanced Reader Copy (usually pronounced "ark") is a book that is sent out to people to review the book before it's actually released.  They are usually paperback versions of the novel, though not as nicely bound as the official paperback, and usually state on the cover something along the lines of "not the final version of the book, changes may be made".
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »
Copyediting, design, typesetting, proofreading, etc. may happen within the year.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 05:34:05 AM »
Why do books need to be done a year before they are released?

Who does the reviews? Where are they written? I would think only a small percentage of books get reviewed in the New York Times. What happens if a book gets bad reviews? Does it get pulled from release?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »
I don't know about some of that, but as for who does the reviews, it depends.  My uncle used to have a review website and he got quite a few books for review.  Steve I'm sure also gets a ton of ARCs for his reading pleasure (or displeasure).  I used to be part of a program for Harper Collins where I got a chance to review middle grade books for them.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:55 AM »
did BYU say why brandon can't post his class online? Are they afraid enrollment will drop? That certainly hasn't happened at MIT, University of Washington, or Berkeley.

With in 10 years some universities are going to have most of their classes broadcast online. Students still have to pay to get credit for the class and get work graded.

btw, what books does Brandon assign people to read? Do they do a term paper which is basically a sci-fi/fantasy short story?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
For class this year he waved the assign reading because he never actually reads them.  Last year (and I assume the years before) he would have the class suggest, and then vote on, books.  We chose three last year, and were assigned to read them.  (As I recall it was Elantris, Sabriel, and something wars.  It was a space opera.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
Yeah, Nick and I get a ton of ARCs.  It will be interesting to see if we get a WAY OF KINGS review copy.  I mean, I've already read it and all...

guessingo--Yeah, the book needs to be completely finished before it is published.  Publishing an unfinished book would be a bad thing...it would be like the movie Elf where the guy publishes a kids book without the last page.

As for reviews, if ARCS have been sent out, the book is going to be released 99% of the time.  If it gets bad reviews, it gets bad reviews.  Typically however, certain books will be sent to places where they get favorable reviews.  Brandon's novel will probably be sent to places that really like SF & F, and places that liked his prior novels.  His novel will probably be sent to people who will say, "This novel is what WoT fans should be reading with their Robert Jordan novels."  I got to be a reviewer because my good buddy Nick and I decided to start a review blog.  I then contacted all the industry contacts I had and told them what I was doing (they all jumped for joy and sent a bajillion ARCs).

As for Brandon's class at BYU, who the heck knows why they dont want the classes posted online.  It's really the University's business, and I can see possible motives.  For his class, Brandon usually has the class pick a few novels to read.  I've seen Elantris, Sabriel, Mistborn, Old Man's War, Name of the Wind, and some other random SF novels.  Usually the class picks novels that are important to the concepts Brandon wants to discuss in class.  If you want to know what he talks about, go to Writing Excuses where Brandon, Dan Wells and Howard Tayler podcast a bunch of writing tips and stuff.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
I would assume that if you give bad reviews you stop getting ARCs?