Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 6201 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
The loyalty thing was made too easy though.  I do 1 quest, and they love me forever?  No matter how big of an ass I am?  Seriously, some of these characters should tell me to F off.

This is one area, in my opinion, where Dragon Age is superior. In that game, when you did a character's particular quest, it made them like you more, but it wasn't the end-all for everything. Here in Mass Effect 2, it felt slightly off, not to mention formulaic
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:40:59 AM »
I'm now playing through the game as a female adept, and having a blast at it. I think you don't really get used to Mass Effect's interface until you use a biotic. My soldier just shot stuff. Now I'm actually using all my team's powers all the time. It's great fun.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Argas

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »
Well, I decided to play ME2 for a bit instead of writing this week but here are my thoughts.

Gameplay-wise, massive improvement. I did not miss the clunky inventory interface as well as the piles of guns you sold every time you went to the shop. I did miss the upgrade system with guns but it's mostly replaced with ammo powers and a simpler upgrade system. The gunplay feels much better and thermal clips force you to switch between guns when/if they run low.

Story-wise, it's quite an improvement. Plot-wise however, it feels more clunky but that's due to the mission structure which really annoys me. It streamlines things and puts it all together, but at the cost of being able to do whatever the hell you wanted. Furthermore, plot progression really hampers things. You get an optional character to recruit near the end of the game but due to the way the progression is set up, you can only get one mission done with him without negative plot consequences.

Love the conversations as well as the Paragon/Renegade interrupt that should have been in the first game.

Altogether, a great improvement but it has its disappointing moments from streamlining.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
I am having a hard time finding motivation to keep playing this.  See, because every time I start to get into the thin story, I need to scan planets to improve my stuff.  And scanning planets is horribly done.  All it does is add false time to the game.  Sure, I could spend a lot of time in a row just getting scanning done, but that will drive me to murder. 

Heavy Rain is coming in the mail any day now, at which point I will be switching games until I can work up the drive to play through the rest of ME2.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:16:05 PM by Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/