Author Topic: Jan 18, Recovering Cynic, Discharge First Complete Draft L, V  (Read 1973 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Jan 18, Recovering Cynic, Discharge First Complete Draft L, V
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:42 AM »
Sorry this is so late guys.  So here is the completed version of the short story I began writing awhile back.  When you review it, there are certain things I’d like you to critique specifically, but like always, all comments are welcome. 

Anyway, as a tool, here is the basic outline of a short story:

1) The opening reveals the characters, the conflicts, and the milieu. It carries us to a major turning point where the protagonist's world changes dramatically and irreparably.

2) The middle can best be put into three parts―a first attempt that the protagonists makes to resolve a problem.

3) After the first attempt, the problem typically broadens or deepens, and the protagonist struggles to resolve the problem a second time by bringing greater resources to bear.

4) Again the problem deepens or broadens, and the protagonist struggles once again to overcome his challenge. This third attempt often ends in near failure―but the protagonist find a way despite all obstacles.

5) Last of all the story is wrapped up in a final scene where some sort of stable new order comes to bear. The final scene, or denouement, signals to the audience that the story is indeed over.

Now, I have had people comment that my story’s arc is a little off, meaning that it’s failing in part of the above outline.  Any help in figuring out where it’s failing and how would be appreciated.  Heck, if you could diagram the story (say which part fits which number), I’d really appreciate that.

Also, I’ve been told that my character doesn’t have much of an arc either.  Any suggestions or feedback in that area would be nice too.

Lastly, I’ve had comments that my setting is too uninteresting and in many ways the story is repetitive (in the same way that real life is often repetitive).  I think this has to do with the fact that my main character is rescuing hostages in a building, so you’re only going to get so much variation in setting.  If you all can help me fix that (i.e. give me ideas for alternate settings or ways to shake up the current setting), I will love you all forever.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 18, Recovering Cynic, Discharge First Complete Draft L, V
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
Well I enjoyed the story a lot.  Actually a lot a lot.  It was cool, stuff blew up, bullets are flying everywhere.   but aside from fulfilling my action movie fetish, I was really interested and felt genuinely bad that people were dying.  All of the characters were likable in their own little ways, or big explody ways, or whatever.

I thought the characters had quite a few arcs.  he goes from hating wiping, to wanting to be wiped.  He goes from kinda looking down on it to understanding why someone would want to do that.  There's a lot of motion in Happyman through out the piece.  I was less hapy with him getting traqed when he did because it just seemed like it got chucked in there when he'd been disobeying orders and generally ignoring his arbiter for a good number of pages.  Still feels like a chapter 1 to me.

My only dissatisfaction was the ending.  There's no hint of mystery, though I was expecting a twist.  When the twist came all I could say was, "That's it?"  We had some awesome action, lots of emotional character arcs, high tension, wonderful visuals, and we get  . . .  Jimmy . . . really?  I was half expecting the arbiter to be the true villian, or the Union itself.  Or to never learn the whole of the story to be swept away at the brink of learning (like I said it feels like a chapter 1).  But we  got . . . Jimmy. . . . yay . . . or something like that.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
Good point.  I had a friend read read it today, and he told me that I should play up the incident in Philadelphia more so that the ending has more power (and you care more that it's . . . Jimmy :)).  Would a fix like that help with your concern, or do you think it needs something more?
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
I was just more surprised at the simplicity of it.  Or more appropriately, I was expecting more.  Jimmy + greed = ending?  I guess I was in the mood for more conspiracy.  But then this is a short story not a novel so I can see playing up Philly to be a much more gratifying part of the ending.  I really don't have a specific answer (sure wish I did) as to what I think would "fix" the problem.  I'm more up for "let's see what other people say."  I will admit I didn't see it coming.

nikitakit

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:34 AM »
Great story! I feel hesitant giving advice considering how I would never have written something this interesting.

A few things confused me in the story during the first read. These are almost certainly my fault because of reading too fast, but I think I'll mention them anyway
1. The spook talking: on first read, I got confused and thought that was the pilot, still speaking. I guess this is because I did't know the word "spook" and much of the other military jargon.
2. I don't quite understand Breaching, besides the fact that they break into a building(?). The description of what is outside could probably be more detailed. Right now I only see three sentences with some repetition: "Banks of windows whipped by interspersed by short bursts of darkness. ...  Each building whipping by was a self-contained city."
3. Somehow I had forgotten about the two mentions of wiping by the end of the story

As for the outline, I think your story fits rather well. The only possible incongruity would be at the very end of the story, up to the point he gets tranqed. It seems to be going along a little too smoothly to count as near failure. You could maybe add a sense of worry about possible traps (unless Escobar doesn't feel any fear or worry).  Another suggestion would be to have Walken constantly nagging at him throughout the scene, providing a distraction. Maybe have the two involved in a continuing argument about something. If she yells at him when Grease dies, he will still be mad when he fires at the hostages. You can also leave his realization that he shot innocent people until after he wakes up, making the reader feel betrayed at him having been stopped just as he was about to kill the villain.

I can't give any constructive comments on the ending, besides saying that I had expected something more dramatic. I did come up with a complete redo of the ending, not that it's any better: Jimmy was not wounded fatally, he urges Escobar to continue disobeying his commands and takes the helmet, then reinforcements arrive and take care of Jimmy, and Escobar is deeply shocked by the way the reinforcements kill his friend.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
I liked the story, it’s fast paced, the characters are an interesting bunch, and they interact well together.  The back and forth between Escobar and Walken for instance.

I can see that there’s a character arc problem, because there isn’t one. At the start Escobar gets doped with a lot of stuff. He has no fear and no emotional attachments to speak of. So he goes through the story as a robot. He sees things, he notes them, but because his emotions are dampened they have no effect until the very end when the stuff wears off.

When the stuff finally does wear off it’s the emotional discharge talking and not really him. He probably thought similar after the Philadelphia incident, an augmented survivor’s guilt.

The end is also a bit of an anti-climax. After all that’s happened Escobar finds the enemy leader and it’s Jimmy. Who is Jimmy and why should we care? Other than a few tidbits of something bad happening in Philadelphia we know nothing of Jimmy except that he’s believed to have died there (in fact, before the ‘big reveal’ he’s only mentioned in two sentences).

Jimmy does things for greed, because he needs more suits. They must be worth an awful lot, because staging such an operation can’t be cheap. Where does the money come from, and the troops? Aren’t there other ways to get them? And why won’t the customer take the suits he can get and just pay for those? A few suits are better than none at all.

In all I was expecting more and the enemy being Jimmy didn’t do it for me. There was no real emotional connection to that character. It also ended rather abruptly, Jimmy’s already as good as dead when Escobar realizes it’s him. There is no conflict (loyalties, friendship, the thermite) because his gun already took care of it, so he can only complete the mission and be done with it. 

As for the setting, you mention that: “The tenements were mile-square buildings, each their own little community, with banks, grocery stores, schools, churches, and everything else inside.  Each building whipping by was a self-contained city.”

I’m not getting the sense of the building being all that large once they are in. It also reads like a pretty generic office-type skyscraper. Where are the homes, the stores, the churches? If they are self-contained where are the food production facilities?

In the beginning there are a few hallways, then the hospital, and more hallways and stairwells. You can spice it up by showing more of the ‘self-contained city’.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
I thought the beginning felt rockier than it did last time I read it. Did you change it, or was it just my mood that changed?

In any case, the action was even better-done this time, and I thought you did a good job playing up the deadhead. I still think that's your strongest element, besides the great action.

I did think Escobar had an arc, but it was improperly resolved. Actually, the ending confused me. Was Jimmy the guy named "Black", or wasn't he? That was ambiguous. The paragraph giving me the most trouble is this:

The pieces fell into place in Escobar’s mind.  Jimmy had been a leacher in Philly.  He must have leached Black’s suit, even his implant, stolen the suit, then blew some thermite to cover the theft.

So Black wasn't Jimmy? Jimmy was working for someone else, and stole the suits that Black had already acquired? Or what? It's not really clear.

As to the effectiveness of the resolution, I can't really say for sure since I didn't quite understand what was supposed to be happening. And beyond that, most of the comments I might make would just be line edits (for example, the past tense of shine is shone, not shown. I think you used that one twice). Really good job on this one. Clean up the language, smooth the beginning and end, fix some minor issues, and send it off somewhere. :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »
So Black wasn't Jimmy? Jimmy was working for someone else, and stole the suits that Black had already acquired? Or what? It's not really clear.

The way I read it Black was the commander in Philly and Jimmy was that team's leacher. Then Jimmy betrayed the whole team, leached Black while he should've been leaching the enemy, and took off with a number of suits.

Really good job on this one. Clean up the language, smooth the beginning and end, fix some minor issues, and send it off somewhere.

I agree, clarify why Philadelphia was so important and why we should care about Jimmy, and you're pretty much all set.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »

The way I read it Black was the commander in Philly and Jimmy was that team's leacher. Then Jimmy betrayed the whole team, leached Black while he should've been leaching the enemy, and took off with a number of suits.

Then who's the Black that's been ordering the perps about?
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »
That Black is just an alias Jimmy used. After killing his commander and taking his suit Jimmy also took his name; he wouldn't want to advertise his own name when hiring thugs and 'Black' sounds more ominous than 'Jimmy' anyway.