Author Topic: questions about brandon  (Read 21041 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: questions about brandon
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 05:50:40 AM »
i'm proud to say i am one of those 50 or so sit-ins. great class. i'm really enjoying it

It's true. It's been great so far. Can't wait for the next class, actually.

Mhm, I'm sure the o~nly reason you can't wait is for class. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 06:03:49 AM »
i'm proud to say i am one of those 50 or so sit-ins. great class. i'm really enjoying it

*Glare*
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 06:15:02 AM »

*Glare*

Why you glaring at me? D:
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 06:32:18 AM »

*Glare*

Why you glaring at me? D:

Feeling sarcastic much? *peace!*

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »

Oh OK. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 07:21:44 AM »
Okay, now *I* want to check out his class.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »
Oh ook, I love you in a very not scary way.

*laughs even more*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:35:13 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »
And why do we love Ook now?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
Because his comment made me laugh a ton.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 02:18:36 PM »
1. Why does Brandon use EUOL for his name? Most authors with sites use their own names. What does it stand for?

2. I am most of the way through the first mistborn book. I hope to finish it tonight (as I said, I don't have alot of time for reading right now so it takes me 2 weeks to finish a book). I don't recall seeing anything about the shard world info. I saw a post on the forum about how elantris, warbreaker, and mistborn are related as shardworld.

is that the atium? Does that appear in all the books? don't give away too much. I am at the beginning of the 5th part (I think).

3. when you publish a book. I am guessing that the commission on sales comes after it covers the advance right? So if you get an advance of $10,000 and you have a 10% commission (I have no idea what it is) on a hardcover. I would guess the publisher sells the hardcover to the bookstore for say $12/book?(how much do publishers sell books to bookstores for?) I am not sure. so you get $1.20/book, but you don't get any of the commission money until the first $10,000 is covered. Then 15% of that goes to the Agent.

4. I often see alot of bestsellers on mark down at bookstores. So they bought too many books. Do bookstores only pay full price for books they actually sell at full price? They always seem to buy too m any books so after a few months you can get a $20 book for $6.
I am also willing to bet that most authors don't sell enough to write full time.

5. Who are some of Brandons other favorite authors? I saw a presentation he did at Jordancon(it is on google video) where he mentioned the Thomas Covenant books. I have had those on a shelf for 10 years. He also liked the Dragonbone chair(I think I read part of this and didn't like it a long tiem ago_). For some reason he doesn't like Terry Goodkind personally (I read part of his first book and didn't like it). Who else does he like?

5. Is the Lord Ruler in part based on the Tyrant from Dune? This is the son of Paul Muadib. He is not in the movie and is only a child at the end of the Sci-Fi series. He is the tyrant in the 4th book. They are very similiar. Tyrants who don't raelly want to be tyrants, live along time, and are basically depressed about it all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:38:57 PM by Brenna »

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
2. I am most of the way through the first mistborn book. I hope to finish it tonight (as I said, I don't have alot of time for reading right now so it takes me 2 weeks to finish a book). I don't recall seeing anything about the shard world info. I saw a post on the forum about how elantris, warbreaker, and mistborn are related as shardworld.

is that the atium? Does that appear in all the books? don't give away too much. I am at the beginning of the 5th part (I think).
Atium has nothing to do with it.  Elantris, Warbreaker, and Mistborn are related in that they are all in the same universe with the same basic creation mythos.  This has consequences related to how the magic systems work, and there may eventually be some stories tying everything together.

Very minor spoiler about a minor character (copy and paste to rot13.com to read):
Gurer vf bar punenpgre gung nccrnef va nyy guerr frevrf.  Ur hfhnyyl tbrf ol gur anzr bs Ubvq, naq guvf unf orra pbasvezrq ol Oenaqba gb npghnyyl or gur fnzr vaqvivqhny, abg whfg crbcyr funevat n anzr.

Somewhat more major spoiler about the creation mythos/magic system thing (again, rot13.com):
Gurer vf fbzrguvat pnyyrq Nqbanyfvhz (vg'f zragvbarq va bar bs gur Ureb bs Ntrf puncgre rcvtencuf, ohg zvffcryyrq jvgubhg gur y) juvpu jnf, nf sne nf jr pna gryy, cebonoyl fbzrguvat nxva gb Tbq.  Nqbanyfvhz jnf oebxra sne va gur cnfg, naq vf abj va gur sbez bs znal qvfgvapg Funeqf, juvpu ner qvfgevohgrq npebff gur inevbhf jbeyqf va guvf svpgvbany havirefr.  Gur cbjref bs gur Funeqf bs Nqbanyfvhz ner erfcbafvoyr sbe gur angher naq inevrgl bs gur zntvp flfgrzf va gurfr obbxf.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:39:59 PM by Brenna »

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »
EUOL stands for Evil Undead Over Lord. I believe this was what Brandon was called back when he was the editor for The Leading Edge, BYU's sf&f magazine. Timewasters was started by a bunch of Leading Edge guys, before Brandon was published, so they used names from before. Similarly, Dan Wells is Fellfrosch.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
I have never heard of a college having a SFF magazine. Do they have an English degree for people who want to write this? Having so much SFF at a university that many of us percieve as being very religious is kind of odd. Does this ever come at odds with BYU administration?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
Not the administration. The English department did decide to stop sponsoring the magazine a couple years ago, because they are snobs and don't realize or don't care that the university's most successful writers have come through TLE, but the department of Linguistics and English Language (which has the editing & publishing degree) picked up sponsorship so things continued as normal. (At least one of the Linguistics professors also writes science fiction.) The magazine has now been around for 30 years, and I have not heard of any university-affiliated genre magazine with such a track record.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
I have never heard of a college having a SFF magazine. Do they have an English degree for people who want to write this? Having so much SFF at a university that many of us percieve as being very religious is kind of odd. Does this ever come at odds with BYU administration?
You don't just perceive it as being religious, it IS religious.  Fortunately, the religion in question happens to have a very favorable view of the arts, up to and including fantasy literature.  Brandon has his own little shelf in the bookstore. (Last I checked, they still have some signed WARBREAKER hardbacks, and a whole pile of TGS.)
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom