Author Topic: So There is Going to be a Mistborn Flick....  (Read 12969 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: So There is Going to be a Mistborn Flick....
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
Hey man, don't judge it before you see it.  At least wait to see if it actually gets off the ground.  When everyone here has seen a trailer, if you still don't like it, then you can complain.  Also, (while I'm being bossy) let's avoid saying that the movie somehow has the power to ruin the books forever.  The quality of the books is independent of the movie.  Plus I don't like it when people say, "Ruined Forever!" >:(

Okay, I'm good now. :)
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
But I've already made my proclaimation already.  I can't take it back even if I wanted to.   In any case you'll be changing your tune soon enough once you see Brendan Fraser playing one of the lead characters in the film.

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
Can we get the Department of Redundancy Department, please?  Thanks.  Sorry, the opportunity was too perfect.  I'm done now.  Oh, and it's entirely possible to edit previous posts.  So, technically, you CAN take it back.  ... I don't see anything wrong with Fraser.  He doesn't seem to fit any of the characters really well, but his involvement doesn't automatically make something bad.  In any case, Brandon trusts these people to make a good movie.  Have a little faith Moggle! ;D
-Peter Ahlstrom

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 09:11:30 AM »
But I've already made my proclaimation already. I can't take it back even if I wanted to. In any case you'll be changing your tune soon enough once you see Brendan Fraser playing one of the lead characters in the film.

There's always that edit button!

Jude Law would make a good Lord Ruler...i liked him alot in Road to Perdition, and now that I mentioned that movie i think Tom Hanks would be an awesome Dockson or Kel (they are both middle aged aren't they?) Though like I said big names aren't whats going to make this movie... good acting and special effects are a must but no names work with me.

Oddly, I can kinda see Jude Law pulling that one off.

But if I had to choose (which I think is sort of pointless, because there would probably be lesser known actors), Nathan Fillion for Kelsier, Summer Glau for Vin.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
I had pictured Christopher Heyerdahl as Sazed when i saw this promo pic of him from Sanctuary:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1585157120/nm0382216

Fantastic actor, looks great with a shaved head, and has the height (6'4") and slim build I'd picked Sazed as having.

That's like exactly how I pictured him!

And Sandra Bullock is WAY kick ass.  Like she already played a similar role as The Final Empire would be when she played in Miss Congeniality.  Gang - FBI, Beauty Pageant - Becoming Lady Renoux, Keeping going after the whole group leaves her behind - Kel dies.

xD

I kind of always imagined a young Sandra Bullock as Vin.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »
But I've already made my proclaimation already.  I can't take it back even if I wanted to.   In any case you'll be changing your tune soon enough once you see Brendan Fraser playing one of the lead characters in the film.

Brendan Fraser makes me laugh. Um. There's not actually a lot of comedy in Mistborn, so he'd probably ruin everything, but I'd still laugh while I cried.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
I'm hopeful that, unlike Terry Goodkind, Brandon would not allow a project to go forward without making sure it seemed to be a good fit with the story. But (not to be a spoil sport) there is a good chance we won't have to worrry about this for a while.

Books get optioned all the time, and almost never does anything come of it.

I maintain the website of an author friend of mine who has been publishing books for around 30 years ... in that time he has had dozens of options on dozens of books. So far only one has ever come to anything. (Though we're currently hopeful for a project MTV has optioned.)

The same thing that makes Brandon happy with the production company probably makes it a little harder for that production company to sell the picture to a studio.

On the other hand, maybe this will hit a lucky streak, everything will work out, and we'll get to see a good treatment of Mistborn in the theaters! Would be nice ... here's hoping.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
You're all nuts. You need Jeeja Yanin (or someone like her), the recent star of Chocolate and Raging Phoenix. She's got the right build, the right hair, and she can totally move in a way that can't be faked without the best CG (and even then, not so well).

Chocolate trailer

Raging Phoenix trailer

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
@Batchman: once you license your story to someone you lose all control. They pay for the rights to do what they want. There is nothing Terry Goodkind can do about what was produced. If he opens his mouth and tells people not to watch then he loses his licensing money. He also may open himself up to a lawsuit, but I am not sure about that.

I am not an Ursula K Leguin fan, but SciFi did a mini-series on one of her books and she said she hated it. She had NO control. You can't even force people to move forward once they option it. They can just sit on the option. I was on Joe Haldeman's forum recent(he is a GREAT Sci-fi writer) and he posted that he hopes Ridley Scott(he made gladiator and the first alien movie) will move forward with making The Forever War after seeing how great avatar was. He said he wants the money while he is still young. I believe the Wheel of Time was optioned in the 1990s and just got sat on. 

btw, the Forever War is a GREAT Sci-Fi novel. Joe has a very short and concise writing style that is fun to read. Te book is great and has some very ironic and funny parts.

What I think movie industry people want to do is to buy up an option, which is a small investment to them, then make another small investment to turn it into a script and then look at the script, the market, who they can get to direct and decide to move forward. They seem to option far more books than ever get made into movies or TV shows.

It is stilnot guaranteed that George RR Martins HBO series will go beyond the pilot. A decision will be madein march.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »

It is stilnot guaranteed that George RR Martins HBO series will go beyond the pilot. A decision will be madein march.

Speaking of that...Whomever did the casting for that should do the casting for the Mistborn movie:

Eddard Stark - Sean Bean
Tyrion Lannister- Peter Dinklage
Cersei Lannister- Leana Headey

To name a few. I say job well done.

Damn. Now I have to get HBO.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:23:03 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
You're all nuts. You need Jeeja Yanin (or someone like her), the recent star of Chocolate and Raging Phoenix. She's got the right build, the right hair, and she can totally move in a way that can't be faked without the best CG (and even then, not so well).

Chocolate trailer

Raging Phoenix trailer

She has some sweet moves, and I can totally see her as Vin. Her hair, face, figure, size ... all remind me of Vin. But, can she speak english?

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
"Ruined Forever!" >:(

I think if anything, the quality of the BOOKS dictates how crappy the movie will be. Of course that's not the case for every book turned movie franchise, but it's probably a good rule of thumb for most.

But if I had to choose (which I think is sort of pointless, because there would probably be lesser known actors), Nathan Fillion for Kelsier, Summer Glau for Vin.

I could DEFINITELY see Summer as Vin, she has the right stature and looks young enough to play Vin without being a horrible (which most of the time comes with younger actors).

I can see Nathan playing Kelsier, he has the right personality.. lighthearted and fun but serious when it calls for it.

Good picks Chaos, and might I add.. I do believe you are a little bit of a fellow Firefly geek.  :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
Chocolate trailer
Raging Phoenix trailer
It's hilarious that the production company is called >Baa-Ram-Ewe<.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 08:04:15 PM »
Chocolate trailer
Raging Phoenix trailer
It's hilarious that the production company is called >Baa-Ram-Ewe<.

Something tells me they are fans of BABE. Ha.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »

I think if anything, the quality of the BOOKS dictates how crappy the movie will be. Of course that's not the case for every book turned movie franchise, but it's probably a good rule of thumb for most.

So, wait.  The better the book, the worse the movie?   ??? Maybe it's possible to make a good movie from a bad book by changing things around so that it is unrecognizable, and to make a bad movie from a good book by doing the same thing, but if the major themes are intact, and the details are good, there's no reason an excellent book can't be made into an excellent movie.  Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you.   ???  So much confusion!  ... Really, after typing all that, now I'm starting to think you were agreeing with me.  Aghh!  These forums are Ruined Forever! :P
-Peter Ahlstrom