Author Topic: The Arena of Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Fans *some book spoilers*  (Read 11611 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: The Arena of Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Fans *some book spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
You forgot to mention you have a beastly signature.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »
And I asked the question that gave us the planets names

Actually, I asked that question on the Barnes & Nobles Q&A, because I had gotten sick of calling Elantris's world Opelon. Feel free to falsify me if I'm misremembering, or you asked before me. But I was fairly certain that once I asked that question, he listed a bunch of names of worlds that were new to us.

You're right. Sorry!
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:01 AM »
I'm not even an option for winning this (I, in no way, know or have ever met Brandon - although I want to abduct him away to the frozen north and am seeding that thought in minds with accompanying novels in hands of people who can make plane tickets happen).

I'm simply enjoying the show.  Also, wishing that I lived some place where I could hang out with you guys.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Me, I'm just a basic fan.

Enjoying watching the competition among you loonies.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
And now, I join the fray.

For theory cred, I am the first one on the forum to discover Ruin's name. I posted that Ruin & Preservation topic way back when, before Mistborn 3. Before that, they called Ruin "The Evil Well Spirit of Doom". To be fair, in my original theory-ness, I called it the "Ruin Entity", which Peter helpfully corrected to simply "Ruin". You're welcome.

I've created the MB3 Countdown thread, where a good many things were guessed in those final days. In fact, I guessed that Ruin was after the atium.

My final Hero of Ages theories was the most massive of all the forums. It's somewhere around 8,000 words long. I'm harder-core when it comes to delving into Brandon's work than any of y'all :P

When I first read Hero of Ages, I took notes as I pieced things together. That document, in itself, is quite long.

Speaking of Hero of Ages, I own three hardcovers of the novel.

As for book-ownership goes, I have a signed hardback of Elantris, a signed paperback of Elantris, signed hardback of Mistborn, Well of Ascension, a signed numbered Hero of Ages, and Warbreaker. This christmas I got two box sets of the Mistborn trilogy. I also have another hardback of Well of Ascension. When the MB1 paperback was $5 I bought seven of them, giving rise to...

I've lent all of these MB1 books out to people. In fact, in my Honors Seminar, Texts & Critics, we had a day where we could bring in a book to share with people. I brought that stack of seven Mistborn's and lent them out there :)

I also own three Aon pendants.

All that stuff can be topped (Miyabi probably has, already). But. But. I have the #1 Table of Allomantic metals, which is now sitting on a wonderful frame above my computer. It is very pretty.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »

SEVEN copies of FE?  ha haha.  Nice.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
This does not count the ugly Vin FE paperback, which I lent out, to never be returned. Not that I'm complaining :P

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 06:59:14 AM »
Yeah, that cover left something to be desired... I need a copy with the new cover... my old one is worn out. I'll have to keep it though, as a holy relic of all the people I've converted to Sanderson fans with it.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »

SEVEN copies of FE?  ha haha.  Nice.

And that also had to do with the fact that I needed to buy enough to get Super Saving shipping off of Amazon :P

Yeah, that cover left something to be desired... I need a copy with the new cover... my old one is worn out. I'll have to keep it though, as a holy relic of all the people I've converted to Sanderson fans with it.

"Something left to be desired"... I'll say! But yeah, a holy relic is awesome. I'm just not careful with my copies that I lend out... they tend to disappear. Which is fine with me :P

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 02:50:20 AM »
You needed to spend more money on duplicate books to save money on shipping? How does that work? :)

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »
You needed to spend more money on duplicate books to save money on shipping? How does that work? :)

Generally they'll ship for free or reduced rates if you purchase enough from some online shops - I used to shop at one that would ship for free if I filled the shipping box fully and got the slowest shipping service they offered.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »
You gennerally spend more, but hey you are "saving". Just like you are "saving" money with a buy 1 get one free of some item you have no use for.

P.S. I'm guilty of this with amazon books too :-[
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »

Generally they'll ship for free or reduced rates if you purchase enough from some online shops - I used to shop at one that would ship for free if I filled the shipping box fully and got the slowest shipping service they offered.

Right, I'm familiar with these offers, although I usually buy things that I'm likely to use with them. Not sure I'd make use of seven copies of Mistborn, although I have been known to pick up seconds before.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »
I'll just throw out that I went out to dinner with Brandon and his wife :)
I remember way back when on the Hemalurgy thread me and someone (miyabi?) began to speculate that the placement of spikes had something to do with it
annnndddd come February I'll have a picture proving that I really just love his books WAY too much XD
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »

Right, I'm familiar with these offers, although I usually buy things that I'm likely to use with them. Not sure I'd make use of seven copies of Mistborn, although I have been known to pick up seconds before.

At the time I had lost my ugly Vin MB1 paperback and I wanted some more copies to lend out to people.