Author Topic: The Arena of Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Fans *some book spoilers*  (Read 11610 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Arena of Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Fans *some book spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »
I've driven more than anyone to visit his signings and release events (or so he wrote in my Warbreaker copy). 

I've purchased well over 70 copies of his books and personally convinced about 50 people to read his books. (only one of those wasn't blown away by them, and he really just hasn't gotten around to finishing Mistborn yet)

He once compared me to a "drug pusher" of his writing :)

I pretty much try and be a fan by sharing with others.

Edit:  I also set out in August 2008 to start reading the Wheel of Time series with the purpose of being able to read Brandon's contribution to the series.  On Saturday I finally finished Knife of Dreams and started the new one.  That's over a year (14-15 months) of all my precious reading time (minus a break for Warbreaker and Alcatraz) spent reading a series (and about it's 1880 characters) just so I could read Brandon's new book in context (not that I haven't enjoyed it).

Edit 2: The universe recognizes my level of fandom which has lead to both times Brandon has raffled out a Mistborn 3 manuscript at a signing/release (WoA and Warbreaker) someone who came with me has won it.  That plus the ARC Brandon gave me personally when he came to Denver for a signing (several months before the official release) means that I think our group has more 'generations' of Hero of Ages than anyone else except for Brandon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:17:06 PM by Phaz »

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
I, too, probably demonstrate my Superfan nature by recommending Sanderson books to others. I've worn out my paperback copies lending them out to people. 

However, I would put forward the fact that Brandon Sanderson popped into my head at a particularly important moment as evidence of my Superfan-ness:

I was deep in the analytical writing section of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination, for those who don't know, the test most graduate programs require) and the topic I was supposed to be dissecting was perseverance, can practice really make perfect or something like that (you only have 45 minutes to write the essay, so it's now sort of a blur). I'd argued the counterpoint and was trying to conjure examples and the first one that sprang to mind was how Brandon Sanderson wrote more than a dozen novels before he was published, etc. And so I proceeded to rattle on for a couple of paragraphs about "Brandon Sanderson, the well-known fantasy novelist, blah blah blah..."

Anyway, I got a perfect score on that essay, which I was totally not expecting, and I must credit the greatest of the example for it.

Who else but a true Superfan would think of that at such a high pressure "my whole future might depend on this" type of moment?

I rest my case.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »

*cough cough cough*  Now that I have all your attention.

1 - I vote for Peter.

2 - Jordan (Brandon's brother) recognizes me and waves before I even realize he is in the area.

3 - Brandon recognized me by screen name when I made a comment during the EUOL V. Jason Magic match in the chat and said, "Oh hey that's a friend of mine."

4 - I can nearly draw a 9 point defense freehand. (Though I still struggle making the circle perfect.)

5 - I have a defense (Not sure if it will ever actually be used, but none the less) named after me

6 - I at one point had at least 3 (maybe 4 I can't remember for sure) different email addresses for Brandon.

7 - I have FOUR that's 1, 2, 3, 4! number ones. (Japanese copies of:  Elantris vols. 1 and 2.  The Final Empire vols. 1 and 2.)

8 - I once waited in line for over 24 hours for Warbreaker.

9 - I am not a palm tree.

10 - I know the Mistborn Llama story.

11 - I went to a signing before Brandon was married.

12 - I made one of those English teachers who hate fantasy fall in love with EUOL

13 - I am co-founder of the official Brandon Sanderson fan site

14 - I know off hand who took the pictures of Brandon and Jordan that are used most often.

15 - I should stop before I hurt myself.

16stars - Yup,  I'm done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:05:48 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 07:03:01 AM »
Mistborn Llama Story?! Do tell! ;D
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
Mistborn Llama Story?! Do tell! ;D

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »

*cough cough cough*  Now that I have all your attention.

1 - I vote for Peter.

2 - Jordan (Brandon's brother) recognizes me and waves before I even realize he is in the area.

3 - Brandon recognized me by screen name when I made a comment during the EUOL V. Jason Magic match in the chat and said, "Oh hey that's a friend of mine."

4 - I can nearly draw a 9 point defense freehand. (Though I still struggle making the circle perfect.)

5 - I have a defense (Not sure if it will ever actually be used, but none the less) named after me

6 - I at one point had at least 3 (maybe 4 I can't remember for sure) different email addresses for Brandon.

7 - I have FOUR that's 1, 2, 3, 4! number ones. (Japanese copies of:  Elantris vols. 1 and 2.  The Final Empire vols. 1 and 2.)

8 - I once waited in line for over 24 hours for Warbreaker.

9 - I am not a palm tree.

10 - I know the Mistborn Llama story.

11 - I went to a signing before Brandon was married.

12 - I made one of those English teachers who hate fantasy fall in love with EUOL

13 - I am co-founder of the official Brandon Sanderson fan site

14 - I know off hand who took the pictures of Brandon and Jordan that are used most often.

15 - I should stop before I hurt myself.

16stars - Yup,  I'm done.

My Personal Rebuttal -

1 - Participant is ineligible, while I do agree with you.

2 - FRR says that the reason for that is because of the Rifftrax party

3 - If EUOL referred to you as friend, that totally counts

4 - I'll get back to you once I finish Scribbler.

5 - You have said defense thanks to the fact that I had a camera on me. You're welcome, BTW.

6 - Superfan or creepy stalker?

7 - wow.

8 - Okay.

9 - That's right. You're a SWORD.

10 - So do I.

11 - Shows how long you've been a fan, not level of fanhood.

12 - Impressive feat, in and of itself.

13 - I'm contributing, as soon as I get to TGS

14 - We'll make that a valid point.

15 - You used that to make sure you got to sixteen

16stars - I'm the reason we have that. Again, you're welcome

All in fun, mate *Peace!*
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:32:24 AM by Mr. J »
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »

I'll give you 15, 11, 5, and 2. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 07:43:49 AM »

I'll give you 15, 11, 5, and 2. ;)

I insist on having 16 and 1 as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:50:13 AM by Mr. J »
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:25 AM »
I can't really hold a candle to most people in this thread, but I'll go on regardless:

1) I once spent an entire bored, empty Sunday rehearsing and recording a voiceover of Kwaan's steel plate. With the original lines and Ruin-corrupted lines.
2) I also figured out that Clod is Arsteel, but meh.
3) I know far too much stuff about the expanded BS universe than a Californian high school student should. I've never even been to Utah, let alone BYU, though this will probably be remedied when I start doing college visits this summer.
4) I once sent the Warbreaker PDF to no less than eleven people I had made the recommendation to. Nine of those asked where they could buy Elantris within a week, and are now fervently awaiting ToW and WoK.
5) I convinced my sophomore English teacher that a creative writing class would be a really neat thing for the school to have - based on the sort of work creative writing can produce, like, hey, Mistborn.
6) I have most, if not every, unpublished work EUOL has put up for download saved on their own USB stick, should those download links ever stop working.
7) Out of sheer boredom, I once tried to figure out why each metal corresponded to its particular ability. I got some pretty beastly explanations written up, but they're all probably way off the mark.
8) I just realized an eight and a closed parenthesis make that little emoticon with the sunglasses.

You used that to make sure you got to sixteen
Of course. The number of universal power ensures his victory. : p
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:55:34 AM by TPaS »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »
6) I have most, if not every, unpublished work EUOL has put up for download saved on their own USB stick, should those download links ever stop working.
7) Out of sheer boredom, I once tried to figure out why each metal corresponded to its particular ability. I got some pretty beastly explanations written up, but they're all probably way off the mark.
You used that to make sure you got to sixteen
Of course. The number of universal power ensures his victory. : p

6 - Which ones do you have?
7 - I'd like to see that, you should post it for fun in it's own topic

There is much more than you and I have any idea about, I'm pretty sure J and I are talking about something you aren't aware of though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Which ones do you have?
Uh, the first few chapters of Liar of Partinel and Scribbler, and all the old versions of Warbreaker, that I can recall in specific. There are probably others, but I'd have to go across a city to a public storage facility to get that flash drive.

EDIT: Oh, and the Elantris short story. And Defending Elysium.

...I don't think Firstborn counts, since it's up on the Tor website.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:11:25 AM by TPaS »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »

I see.

J, you can have 16 and 1 I guess.  ;)

* Miyabi resists posting numerous other things I can think of.
[/color]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: The Arena of Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Fans
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
And I asked the question that gave us the planets names

Actually, I asked that question on the Barnes & Nobles Q&A, because I had gotten sick of calling Elantris's world Opelon. Feel free to falsify me if I'm misremembering, or you asked before me. But I was fairly certain that once I asked that question, he listed a bunch of names of worlds that were new to us.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
i think he gave us about 6 worlds including Scardiel
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:10 PM »
i just read the words "Axehound and Sky Eel" and i am now even more anxious to read WoK.

now for my fandomness...
I have signed copies of all of Brandon's books other than the GS, which i'm still working my way up the series for.
I was the first person (on this forum at least) to theorize figure out that Vin's earring was a spike.
I've read Aether of Night and Dragonsteel, along with everything posted on his website
I have brought over twenty people to the knowledge and fandom of Brandon
My copy of mistborn is falling apart from being loaned so many times.
I have Brandon's cell phone number (yeah, i know that sounds stalker-like. oh well)
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.