9 (39.1%)
Good
5 (21.7%)
Fair
2 (8.7%)
Poor (you have no taste)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 17793 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
Outstanding plot, above par acting, and good special effects combined with it's raw originiallity was just mind blowing! This thread is for all things Avatar!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »

I was depressed that I couldn't sit through it a second time right after I finished it the first time.

It was SOOO amazing!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »
I just saw it. I went with my sister who had already seen it. We have similar tastes so I was ready to love it too, and there were tons of things I liked, but I ended up having a lot of mixed feelings about it. To avoid spoilers I'll just say that while there were many things I liked, I doubt this will be a movie I would want to buy or see too many times after this.

Maybe it was just too cool for me.  :-\
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:40:59 AM »
I really, really liked it. However, that's because I read reviews, and I knew what to expect. With the right expectations I really enjoyed it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:11:01 AM »

You should PM me and tell me what things in particular Frog.  I'm interested to hear.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:13:55 AM »
I never even saw the extended trailer... but maybe it just struck a chord with me in some way due to my background, I don't know. This movie is on my top 10 movie list along with Gladiator, Tombstone, & Dead-Poets Society
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:27:40 AM »
I saw this in 3D, and was absolutely amazed.  Cameron used 3D to give depth, to immerse rather than to impress.  I imagine it must be similar to the experience of the people who watched color films or talkies for the first time (I've seen people who despised the story recommend it to other people who would despise the story simply for the visuals).

Now, elsewhere on the internet I've seen people complain that the story was trite, cliched, and unoriginal.  My counter to that accusation is that an old, simple story told well is much better than a new and complex story told poorly.  And James Cameron told his story very well indeed.

It wasn't as good as District 9, but it was up there with it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 12:57:53 AM »
I liked it a lot. It wasn't original, but it was well executed. Nothing was over the top for me, and I bought the whole thing.

The 3D didn't work well for me. I forgot my glasses so that may have been an issue but I haven't yet had a great 3D experience. The 3D did work for Karen and she feels it contributed to the movie, but now she's had a headache for hours.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:16:14 AM »
I had never seen the idea of "beaming the self" into some other body so i called it original (though on a tangent i don't agree with the concept of originality b/c everything man has done was just a newer version of something much older including war) However I heard a story about James Cameron being an arse to a guy who told him he worked 2 minimum wage jobs and saved up to go to the movies with his family and if he would just sign a poster for him... James Cameron told him to f off. James Cameron was this guy's hero how the hell can you do something like that?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 05:38:46 AM »

Everything I've seen about Cameron has been good, especially when it comes to fans, so I looked up the incident you were talking about.

I found this.  It seems that he was ambushed at an airport after a long flight and there was a lot of fishy run abouts from TMZ about it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
I saw it, and I have to agree with Frog.  It was good, but it didn't exactly blow me away.  I mean, I enjoyed it, and (had I paid) it would have been worth the money, but it seemed to lack something.  I'm not sure what it is that it lacked, but for me there just was something missing that allowed me to really connect with it.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:37 AM »
I saw a different article and no photage... that one wouldn't play for me anyways

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »

It linked to this and this one.

Notice in the second one before he actual says it there is a skip in the video.  That's what the article was talking about.  And listen to the stuff the guy keeps saying.  He basically sounds like a troll.  Seems to me like his whole purpose was to get the reaction he got.

Also note:  The guy makes $15 an hour.  Not two min wage jobs.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:15:03 AM by May-A-Be it's Kwanzaa »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 08:07:06 AM »
I definitely thought the 3-D added to the experience, though I did get a headache. There may have been mitigating factors, however. I will see it in IMAX 3D in a few days and we'll see if that gives me a headache, too.

Now, elsewhere on the internet I've seen people complain that the story was trite, cliched, and unoriginal.  My counter to that accusation is that an old, simple story told well is much better than a new and complex story told poorly.  And James Cameron told his story very well indeed.

It wasn't as good as District 9, but it was up there with it.

Meh, I'd argue that Avatar was a superior film to District 9. The more I think about District 9, the more disappointed I am with that third act. I felt it needed a big reveal when there was none. The first two thirds of District 9 were excellent, however, but that ending... It's not something I really want to see again. But I digress :P

Avatar executed what it did so incredibly well that I can't complain at all. I seriously loved every minute of it. Totally engrossing.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »
This is not the thread for a debate about District 9.  The important part is that you agree with me on Avatar: that it was an excellently told story. 

Even the detractors seem to agree that the visuals were amazing.