9 (39.1%)
Good
5 (21.7%)
Fair
2 (8.7%)
Poor (you have no taste)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 18712 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
They expanded to 10 best picture nominations. They did this so films could advertise to push DVD sales.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2010, 06:54:16 AM »
FINALLY saw this. It's about time. :)

The visuals really were off the charts. I like spectacle films, so I would have enjoyed it even if it had had a Jackie Chan plot. The best and most original (non-visual) part of the film was the networked, mentally aware biosphere. That was just awesome. As for the plot, well, I expected to have to turn my brain off to enjoy it (like most dumb action/spectacle films), but I didn't. Even if it was very predictable, I still had a great time.

I didn't really get the humans' thinking. First of all, I would expect a lot more than three scientists to be on an alien world with sentient life. I would expect people to actually listen to them. I don't know why a people who had developed interstellar travel had to resort to strip mining, and why they were so tied to that one spot. It felt like the writers were trying to force the "evil alien conquerors" theme without making it deep enough to stick.

Still, great flick.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
I don't know why a people who had developed interstellar travel had to resort to strip mining, and why they were so tied to that one spot. It felt like the writers were trying to force the "evil alien conquerors" theme without making it deep enough to stick.

Pandora was the only place with that mineral, and earth is becoming a toxic wasteland (visuals of earth are in the Director's Cut).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »
I think the spot ryos was referring to was the ore deposit under the Navi home-tree, and I have to agree that it seemed awfully contrived that they couldn't find another place or another way to get the ore.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »
They talked about this.  The richest deposit was under the tree.  There is ore elsewhere on the planet, but the richest deposit was under what could be considered the oldest tree.  Since we don't know how the mineral is formed, who is to say that there wasn't a logical reason in the original script explaining why it is there (just like there are explanations as to why the mountains float, or why the air is poisonous).  I'm just saying, it really wasn't contrived.  The richest deposit under one of the oldest areas of the planet?  Doesn't sound like a stretch to me.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2010, 05:38:43 AM »
   Has anyone yet mentioned the only cringe moment for me in Avatar?  The name of the mineral: unobtainium.  I think that was it.  Oh, brother.

Other than that, I liked the movie in a slightly-detached manner.  Mostly because of the tiresome anti-big business, anti-military themes.  And the voodoo-like religious thing.  But I cried at least twice and thereby increased my younger kids' enjoyment incrementally.  Someone had warned me about the long, long ending battle scene and that it was, for her, "Fern Gully on steroids" so my expectations were mercifully low. 

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »
Interesting,,, I thought AVATAR was really pretty terrible.

It had superb visuals, some decent acting, and a plot that could have been mildly interesting, but... Man... the dialog was SOOOO bad.  I basically think of it of a film with the budget of an epic along the lines of Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur, but the script of a Lifetime flick.  For me, gorgeous visuals are simply not enough, though I would still recommend people to see it, to see how far CGI has really come.

Honestly, if this film hadn't had such gorgeous CG, it would have been a colossal failure.  It seems that they spent so much money on the visuals, that they didn't have enough to actually pay someone to edit the script. 

Also, Mtbikemom, in what way was it anti- big business?  Maybe anti-"Military-industrial complex".  Very anti-government.  But not so much big business... unless you're only referring to the military-industrial complex.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:29 AM »

Because they weren't technically military, they were mercenaries hired by a large corporation.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »
Jexral, the plot was so forgettable, I hardly remember.  Wasn't there a profit motive behind obtaining (ugh) unobtainium?  And if so, the military would not logically profit.  I thought the militaristic thugs were hired mercenaries, but like I said, I hardly remember.  That kinda says it all.

Oh, Miyabi posted only seconds before this.  Guess my memory is not completely gone yet.  :)  Tx!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
It comes out on DVD EARTH DAY!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
I never really understood why people complained about the term unobtainium.  It's been used term since the 1950s.  It's not like they just made it up for the movie.  It may sound a tad silly, but it is an actual term.

That said, I think I'll wait until a nifty extended edition is released on blu ray to pick it up.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »

@BookstoreGuy - I really want to see that too.  I wonder what they left out.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »

@BookstoreGuy - I really want to see that too.  I wonder what they left out.

The rest of the movie, obviously. It will now take over 24 hours to watch from beginning to end!

also: This scene (slightly NSFW, but all hilarious)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.