9 (39.1%)
Good
5 (21.7%)
Fair
2 (8.7%)
Poor (you have no taste)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 19968 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:44 AM »
Well, I did find one person who loved it. But he also though Star Wars Episode 1 was the greatest movie ever, so......

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 01:45:29 AM »
Just got back from seeing it in 3D. I thought it was great, and the visuals, IMO were quite stunning. Best animation I'd seen in any movie I can remember.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
The visuals of this movie were fantastic.  There aren't any better at the moment.  Not just the motion capture, but the Pandora visuals were incredible.  The story?  Well, it could have been better.  It's just Dances With Wolves...In Space.  It was executed well enough, but I don't like predicting every plot point.

But hey, this is James Cameron.  He likes to push the visual envelope.  He did it with T2, and now again with Avatar.  Most of the people I've talked to that said the visuals were crap, well, they just didn't like the look of the aliens.  But really, judging visuals based on a few commercials?  Come on now.  Go see the movie before you judge it and say "anyone with a 10 year old Mac" can do this.  That's just absurd.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »
But the concept of an "Avatar" is pretty cool and while yes the next 5-10 minutes were almost always predictable, you gennerally needed something to pull you "out" of the story long enough to think about it. I liked the story as well as the visuals....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »
well, apparently,m you have to watch it in "3d" which pretty much tells anyone who wears glasses to "prepare to be incredibly uncomfortable for the next 3 hours."

More and more, I read bloggers and have friends tell me not to waste my time. That in fact, the graphics are...  a cartoon! Well, gee, Polar Express used the EXACT same technology. Exactly. As did disney's new "Christmas Carol" - push the edge? no, not really, he will tell everyone that he did though, even though it's already been done.

I already downloaded the movie, will probably throw it in this weekend, but really, I have very low expectations. Looks like "Ice Pirates" all over again to me.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
well, apparently,m you have to watch it in "3d" which pretty much tells anyone who wears glasses to "prepare to be incredibly uncomfortable for the next 3 hours."

I take it you've never seen a movie in 3D, then?

I wear glasses 24/7 (well, not when sleeping, obviously) and the 3D glasses don't bother me at all. They fit OVER your normal glasses.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
yeah, they dont fit over mine

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
mtlhddoc2, Polar Express did not use the exact same technology. That movie looked hideous. The aliens in Avatar, on the other hand, look no worse than Star Trek aliens played by people with makeup, if not better.

However, personally, I liked the movie a lot in SPITE of having to watch through 3D glasses. I'm done with this iteration of 3D technology; it just isn't a good viewing experience for me. I'll watch a 3D movie next when a new technology comes around. I almost want to go see Avatar again in 2D so I don't have the distraction of the glasses.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 04:22:53 AM »
It's awesome in 2D...

P.S. Is it weird that I've never wanted and so never have watched a movie in 3D (Imax is a different story and the dome is awesome...& a curved screen is a waste of money)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:12 AM »

I don't mind wearing glasses, but I would like to see it being 3D without glasses.  (My uncle was at one point testing a laptop that did that for Pfizer. It was fantastic.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »
Peter, it is the exact same technology, just with added bells and whistles. If you upgrade the stereo in your Buick, you still have a buick.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
Are you judging the sound quality or the driving? Or the upholstery? You may as well say movies are the same technology as cave paintings. They're both pictures on flat surfaces, after all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »

I seriously lol'd.  My sister looked at me funny and asked what I was laughing at.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
I just can't get into this movie, no matter how great the visuals are supposed to be. The plot is nothing more than "Dances With Wolves" meeting science fiction... One friend also described it to me as "Pocahontas with blue people."

Is it really worth seeing even though the plot is tenuously interesting?
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:53 AM »

Yes
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。