Author Topic: Avatar protest? Ranting  (Read 15419 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar protest? Ranting
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »
I would put money on you finding more autistic charachters in TV and movies than gay charachters. There were entire shows and movies, mainstream ones, which focused on autistic chatachters. Rarely do you find a gay lead. You find more pedophiles in TV and movies than gay people, and i would hazard a guess that less people are pedophiles than are autistic.

There have been a lot of mainstreme gay characters on tv for quite a while from shows like Rosanne to Will and Grace. And a lot of other shows such ER. Brothers and Sisters.  united states of Tara and a bunch of movies. Sorry abot weird caps I'm on my phone.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
I wouldnt call that "alot" maybe what, two dozen? And how many of those mainstream shows had a gay lead charachter?

Yes, I remember Martin Mull's charachter on Roseanne, and Will & Grace (Dual lead, and it could be argued that "Will" was still a secondary charachter to Grace)

but autism is featured regularly in various forms. Mary McDonnell's Aspergers charachter on Grey's Anatomy, to Corky from Life Goes On and Dustin Hoffman's Rainman charachter. Even "Tropic Thunder" featured Ben Stiller acting out autistic parts (even if it was somewhat distasteful).

Chris Northern

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
If evolution did anything to sexual orientation wouldn't it weed out homosexuality do to the fact that there are no offspring?

Clearly, Kaz, you don't know anything about evolution. Obviously evolution will turn it's back on current design, and restructure it so that Heterosexuals cannot reproduce, where as homosexuals can.

Also: their protest is bad, and they should feel bad.

Protesting a random piece of creative work simply because it doesn't contain what YOU want (and isn't opposed to it. I could understand if the movie was strongly about homosexuals being "bad", but as far as I'm aware, it isn't) does nothing for your cause, except making you look bad.

If it isn't illegal, it's obligatory. *sigh* Liberalism, a form of compensate for the western world as it commits suicide. "I leberal as long as you agree with me - and I mean ACTIVELY agree with me." Gits.

I hadn't noticed any of this - but look who else caved to this pressure... "Dumbaldore is gay"  What?! I read the books, girl! If he was gay you should have mentioned it somewhere!?! Oh, right, you caved.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
I forgot about that comment.... and i don't remember making a rebuttal so here is my delayed rebuttal; Homosexuality has become more or less excepted through out American Society. Due to this fact you would normally expect less people to come out of the closet every year, the opposite is the reality. I never specified when it would be weeded out only that there would be signs of it doing so.
On a related note, genes must encode something (pseudo-genes aren't genes and don't encode but genes by definition must encode one or more traits, that doesn't mean several genes can't be used to make up a singular trait) so new genes are VERY rare (alleles are a different story and are variations of a gene i.e. eye color). Let's assume their is indeed a sexual orientation gene with 2 alleles, 1 gay 1 straight, it would most likely be a relatively new gene due to the fact that if it developed in our early history we would have had too few mating pairs to survive all the plagues, famines, predators, ect. However that can't be the case b/c every ancient civilization has some form of homosexuality, Athens is a prime example but if you look at the Native Americans (& there was barely 100 people who crossed the land-bridge 17k years ago, limiting the time span of said mutation much less likely both forwards and backwards) they had men called Berdaches, or the third gender. So technically there could be said gene, though the likelihood is exceptionally small. Also, why can't they find it?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
Also, why can't they find it?

My guess would be because we still don't fully understand the human genome :D

I mean, seriously, dude, that's a whole lot of data to parse through and solve its function. We didn't just figure out how DNA works and go "Annnnnnnddd....now we know everything about ours."

Honestly, though, i really don't care which it is. I really could care less if homosexuality is a choice, genetic disorder, mental disorder, or a bathtub. It doesn't concern me either way, i'm not homosexual, and don't plan on it anytime soon, and those who are will likely be so regardless of why science determines why they are.

Also: a lot of posts have gone on since i last posted in this topic, and i don't think we're quite on the same subject i last posted about. I also don't remember what I was posting about, but I vaguely remember contesting some points someone made. I don't feel like going back to read whatever it was (i'm lazy, and currently uninterested in whatever it was), so i'm just gonna go ahead and issue a general "Nu uh!" at everyone who has posted since then as my rebuttal in case their statements were directed towards me.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
We don't understand the human genome but we have mapped it... meaning there should be strong evidence of it's existence... if not an exact location (we know over 1/5 of the genes functions)

Edit: The reasons matter b/c of ethics, not that I care b/c you can't convince anyone of anything on those grounds b/c as a race we are pig-headed fools who stick (primarily) to what moral code we learned as children... I'm just highly competitive
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:25:07 PM by Six More Weeks of Kaz »
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:26 AM »
I should have also mentioned, since I did reference Tropic Thunder, that they had the rapper charachter wind up being gay as well....  so it kind of moots the Tropic Thunder argument I guess, or not. Just wanted to make sure that was in there :)

funny thing is though, most of the gay people i know (and i know alot of them) are deeply religious people, I find it highly ironic.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 06:24:21 AM »
funny thing is though, most of the gay people i know (and i know alot of them) are deeply religious people, I find it highly ironic.

Why?  Over 90% of the world is religious; why should gays inherently be at a polar opposite?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
I would put money on you finding more autistic charachters in TV and movies than gay charachters. There were entire shows and movies, mainstream ones, which focused on autistic chatachters. Rarely do you find a gay lead. You find more pedophiles in TV and movies than gay people, and i would hazard a guess that less people are pedophiles than are autistic.

You'd lose that money.  Bigtime.

Netflix has listed 509 specific shows/movies with a particularly strong gay/lesbian theme.  This does not even include shows where gay characters are featured, but which are not a primary part of the plot.

You really think there are many more than 500 TV series and movies highlighting Autism?

(And realize, this is only the stuff they stock—I'm sure there's lots more of smaller & foreign stuff out there that Netflix doesn't have listed.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:04 AM »

Exactly!  There are TONS of them.  Granted there tend to be a lot more foreign films from countries which are more accepting of these types of things.

I remember watching a documentary once on  the 'five genders' and there is one country (I can't remember, but it's a small one) that readily accepts all genders as if there is nothing different about it.  (Granted this has more to do with genderism than sexuality). 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 01:42:56 PM »

Why?  Over 90% of the world is religious; why should gays inherently be at a polar opposite?

Because all of the major religions call it a perversion. and when I say "deeply" I mean "deeply" - most people I know are not deeply religious. the gay people, by and large, are much more relgious than the straight ones.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »

You'd lose that money.  Bigtime.

Netflix has listed 509 specific shows/movies with a particularly strong gay/lesbian theme.  This does not even include shows where gay characters are featured, but which are not a primary part of the plot.

You really think there are many more than 500 TV series and movies highlighting Autism?

(And realize, this is only the stuff they stock—I'm sure there's lots more of smaller & foreign stuff out there that Netflix doesn't have listed.)

Where are these shows/movies on Television? What theaters are they playing at?

Netflix has a large gay film library. That doesnt mean each of them was on NBC or shown at your local cineplex. Even the gay people that are on TV are not playing gay charachters. Wanda Sykes, Neil Patrick Harris, just to name two very much out of the closet gay people playing straight charachters.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
Huh, i thought I posted in here just a bit ago, but I guess not. Oh well, I probably accidentally hit to go to the main page instead of post.

Anyways:

Exactly!  There are TONS of them.  Granted there tend to be a lot more foreign films from countries which are more accepting of these types of things.

I remember watching a documentary once on  the 'five genders' and there is one country (I can't remember, but it's a small one) that readily accepts all genders as if there is nothing different about it.  (Granted this has more to do with genderism than sexuality). 

5 *genders*? I suppose if you count hermaphrodites, and sterile people as gender neutral, that gets 4. What's the 5th? Intersexuals? That's the right word, isn't it? Ya know, people who are the "I'm an X in a Y's body".
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

They define genders as male, female, transgendered-male, transgendered-female, and hermaphrodites.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »

They define genders as male, female, transgendered-male, transgendered-female, and hermaphrodites.

Hrm....those middle two, in my opinion, seem more like social roles than *GENDERS*, since a "woman in a man's body" still has the male dangly-bits, so to speak.

Hemaphrodites i suppose i can see a case for, though humans technically can't be a TRUE hemaphrodite, and most hemaphrodites are actually pseudo-hemaphrodites (males/females with deformed genetailia that gives the physical appearance of both sexes, or those who undergo surgery for it), and those born with both X and Y choromosomes (called Klinefelter's syndrome) are usually sterile or less fertile, and usually have testicles but not ovaries, not filling the condition of being able to sexually reproduce as both male and female.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard