Author Topic: Avatar protest? Ranting  (Read 15429 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

OK.  So I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the movies section or here.  I decided here because it's mostly a rant.

So there is a group of people who are wanting to protest the Avatar in these ways for this reason:

On Friday, December 18, 2009 thousands of people will be protesting the release of the James Cameron movie, Avatar. The purpose of the protest is as follows:

1) To make all people aware that heterosexual arrogance, assumptions or exclusions of alternative sexualities in movies is no longer acceptable. Diversity and tolerance are human rights.

2) To speak out for all gay, bi-sexual, genderless and transgender people who are not represented by any character in Avatar.

3) To educate people about Evolution and humanity's transition to transgenderism.

All protests will be peaceful and non-confrontational. Suggested methods of protest:

* Stand outside of theaters with signs and pamphlets to express your views
    * Sit down in theater lobbies and do not move unless the police use force or violence upon you
    * Stand up during a viewing of Avatar and remain standing
    * Buy tickets to Avatar in bulk but do not attend showings. An empty theater sends a message
    * Bring your mate to the theater and show affection to each other.

Reminder: SILENCE = DEATH. We will be silent no more.

OK.  So

1) Pay attention to the previews.  In the previews they want to annihilate a group of people.  They send people in to try and coerce them into leaving or find out how to kill them or something along those lines.  THEN after they LISTEN they find out that they were WRONG ABOUT THEM and some want to help them.

So basically it's about taking the time to learn about someone or a group of people because you make a judgment about them. . .So how is this being overly heterosexually arrogant?  As far as I can see it's about accepting others and finding out the truth and not making assumptions which seems to be exactly the opposite of what this blog was saying.

2)Who cares!  Honestly, who's to say that one of the characters ISN'T les/gay/bi/trans.  Just because they don't openly go "OH HEY I'M THE GAY CHARACTER!" doesn't mean there isn't one there.  Also, how do you determine that from JUST the preview?  Dumb.  Also, why does it MATTER if there is a main lgbt character?

3)Uhm, what?  So you're saying that eventually ALL people will be born into the wrong gender?  Do you HONESTLY even know what the heck you're talking about?  Unless you meant androgyny, and you know, even so how do you KNOW that we will all move in that direction?  Granted there are more than there have been before, but that's because people have taken the time to LISTEN and LEARN before they make judgment which is what this movie seems to be about.

Truly, these people are faggots.  They don't deserve to be called lgbt.  They are straight up faggots.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Avatar protest? Ranting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
"Look everyone, here's a really huge movie! Let's go protest about the movie about things it isn't even about! It'll be awesome! ...Wait, what does Avatar have to do with any of this?"

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I agree, Miyabi.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
If evolution did anything to sexual orientation wouldn't it weed out homosexuality do to the fact that there are no offspring?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »
If evolution did anything to sexual orientation wouldn't it weed out homosexuality do to the fact that there are no offspring?

Clearly, Kaz, you don't know anything about evolution. Obviously evolution will turn it's back on current design, and restructure it so that Heterosexuals cannot reproduce, where as homosexuals can.

Also: their protest is bad, and they should feel bad.

Protesting a random piece of creative work simply because it doesn't contain what YOU want (and isn't opposed to it. I could understand if the movie was strongly about homosexuals being "bad", but as far as I'm aware, it isn't) does nothing for your cause, except making you look bad.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
Eerongal are you no longer unbannable?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
Protesting a random piece of creative work simply because it doesn't contain what YOU want (and isn't opposed to it. I could understand if the movie was strongly about homosexuals being "bad", but as far as I'm aware, it isn't) does nothing for your cause, except making you look bad.

Exactly.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
Homosexuality, in genetics, would be an "abnormality". No different than red hair or green eyes or left-handedness. And would not be weeded out because although SOME homosexual people do not reproduce, it does not mean they all do not. homosexual behavior is evident in history as far back as ancient Egypt, proving that the gene has stood the test of time. In ancient times, it was thought that left-handed people were devil spawn. so, they should have been weeded out as well, since most of them were murdered immediately. Even the latin word for left is "sinister" (which is also where we get the word sinister from.

But, i am in agreement. There is no need to make a big deal of a person's sexuality in shows and movies where the sexual orientation or behavior is not a focus of the show.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Eerongal are you no longer unbannable?

I have traded in my unbannable status for a significant increase in my moxie and pizzazz.

Edit: also, kaz, your santa avatar looks like the kind of santa who brings people presents. Except instead of gifts, the boxes are filled with murder.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:42:51 PM by DeckTheEerongals »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Well I am the Antagonist of the Ages... and "Black Santa" is the evil shadow of Santa in German Folklore who kidnaps bad children and throws them in a burlap sack into the Rhine river...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »
From reading the posts at http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com I am convinced the whole "protest" is an elaborate satire.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:43 AM »
We should start a protest for copying Brandon Sanderson! How dare they make blue people!  ;)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »
From reading the posts at http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com I am convinced the whole "protest" is an elaborate satire.

I never considered that.

If it is, I was successfully trolled.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:20 AM »
I'm not convinced that it's an elaborate satire... but it is pretty lame.

Homosexuals need to understand that homosexuality, inasmuch as 98% (give or take) of the population do not engage in it, will never be mainstream.

It's one thing to expect blacks or hispanics to show up in the media.  It's another to expect mainstream television shows to include Tajiks because they simply happen to be a minority.  Assuming alternative sexualities are as innate as ethnicity (a much debated issue), whining about lack of representation seems just as silly.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
2%? Really?

there is actually at least as large of a percentage of the US population that is gay or lesbian than those that are black. Yet "black" activities are now considered "mainstream".

I dont necessarily disagree with the point, but slinging numbers around like they are fact hurts the discussion.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
2%? Really?

there is actually at least as large of a percentage of the US population that is gay or lesbian than those that are black. Yet "black" activities are now considered "mainstream".

I dont necessarily disagree with the point, but slinging numbers around like they are fact hurts the discussion.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but surveys ranging from the mid 90's to current day put the gay and lesbian (and usually bisexual lumped in) at around 4-7% of americans. The 2000 census clocked african americans in at 12.3%
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard