Author Topic: Most people say Kelsier wrong  (Read 15790 times)

Ari54

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: Most people say Kelsier wrong
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 03:06:31 AM »
For me it's always the vowels.  Talking about Warbreaker with my dad, he just laughed at me when I pronounced Vasher's name as VAW-sher, with a long a.  Is it the 'a' in 'hat', or the 'a' in 'wash'?

And Voldemort's name is also pronounced incorrectly.  The 't' is silent, like the French.

Darn those French people and their funny words!

The 'A' in "wash" is normally associated with the letter 'O', by the way, like in "cosh", or "pot". ;) The other common 'A' sound is the one in "father".

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 05:08:05 AM »
My version of English uses the same a for wash and father: a as in the Spanish/Italian/most-of-the-world a. The other common a's are the so-called short a (IPA symbol [æ] ) in hat and the so-called long a (IPA symbol [eɪ] ) in hate.

The a in Vasher is the [æ] sound as in hat.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:12:30 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2009, 07:21:51 AM »
Thank you!  Apparently I've been saying Vasher properly all along but doubting myself.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:52 AM »
My version of English uses the same a for wash and father: a as in the Spanish/Italian/most-of-the-world a. The other common a's are the so-called short a (IPA symbol [æ] ) in hat and the so-called long a (IPA symbol [eɪ] ) in hate.

The a in Vasher is the [æ] sound as in hat.

Wait, so wash almost* rhymes with harsh? Cool!

The pronunciation of Vasher seems pretty intuitive, Peter. Good to know. :)

* depending on whether you pronounce the 'R'.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 06:00:32 AM »
I'm not aware of dialects where wash and harsh are pronounced the same. Usually dialects where wash is pronounced with an r in it, wash rhymes with horse (with an sh sound at the end). And dialects where the r in harsh is not pronounced use a more back a that is lengthened.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:15 AM »
and if it's like a soft a hat sounds like hot Peter.... anyways i don't discuss these books with many people and we all butcher them in different ways so i really care less when i'm mistaken (and b/c it is so inconsequential irked when corrected by some smart as)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 04:40:58 AM »
I'm not aware of dialects where wash and harsh are pronounced the same. Usually dialects where wash is pronounced with an r in it, wash rhymes with horse (with an sh sound at the end). And dialects where the r in harsh is not pronounced use a more back a that is lengthened.

Okay, I'm just mystified as to how you pronounce "father" now, because now I'm imagining it rhyming with "border". :D

I'm more talking about vowel sounds than consonants so I wasn't really paying attention. Harsh was the easiest thing to come up with after having decimated my vocabulary earlier in the day. :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »

I say things like area'r' and idea'r', and then things like ca' and pa'k.  ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
Okay, I'm just mystified as to how you pronounce "father" now, because now I'm imagining it rhyming with "border". :D
I didn't say I pronounced wash with an r sound in it. I don't.

I pronounce father like in Merriam-Webster. Click on the little sound icon to hear it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/father

I pronounce wash like either the first or second pronunciation on Merriam-Webster.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wash
I can tell the difference between the two, though they are very similar. (The third pronunciation listed has the r sound, and that's not the way I say it. Nor is it the version that rhymes with horse...) But both of them sound just fine to me—which of them is actually the way I say it would have to be determined from listening to a recording of my voice when I wasn't paying attention to how I said it. It's possible I use both pronunciations at different times.

Neither one of them is close to the a in hat.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hat

Nick_Narcotic

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »
I just completely decided against reading the word and prnounce it Kelsirm but it would be rude to begin pronouncing it corectly now surely?

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
Wait I am confused.
Is it Sahz -ed?
or Sayz - ed?

I say the first one.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
Say Zed. And his nickname Saze rhymes with daze/haze/maze.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:44 AM »
The Kel-sea-ay thing is way too weird for me. Luckily, after long debates, it turns out I've been saying Sazed right.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
The French don't particularly like ending consonants for syllables, do they?  I'm a choir guy, and am currently working on a french song and my teacher really emphasizes that.  I'm also semi-familiar with IPA. :D
I prefer Sahz-ed, myself.  And Kel-sea-ay, sounds wimpy, just like its french origins.  *evil grin*
Cheers.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Being raised in a house where French was spoken on a regular basis, I don't think that Kelsier sounds wimpy. It certainly sounds less wimpy than a kell-seer or Kelsey-er. Actually, the French pronunciation sounds pretty bad[butt] to me. *shrugs*

As for Sazed, Sah-zed and Saze'd work for me.

I never tried to pronounce Vin as Van (French for 20), as it's missing a few superfluous consonants, but you could always do that if you wanted to.

Valette? Now there's a name that's sure to have many mispronunciations.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie