Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 10144 times)

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. ha ha.  I was beginning to think no one either got it or liked it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. ha ha.  I was beginning to think no one either got it or liked it.

I don't think I'm a fan of any one type of computer over another, really. I've only owned a Dell and a Gateway, though, and they've both worked wonderfully, so I've got no complaints. My grandfather owned a HP way back in the day though, and that thing must have been leprous. Things were practically falling out of the case within a few weeks.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
I am a fan of whoever makes good computers at any given time. Dell has been tops for about 5 years now, but only for desktops. Gateway, in my opinion, reigns supreme on the netbook side. IBM for laptops (Lenovo, really).

But each manufacturer has models to stay away from, of course, like with Dell, stay far far away from the Optiplex. But Inspirons are fantastic.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
mac......

I only say that because Customer Support is much much better than any Windows. But that's just my experience. And, truth be told, my Mac has had as many troubles as my Windows computers have had, only Mac was easier to fix.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »

There's also the fact that Mac can run twice as fast on half the hardware as a Windows machine.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
mac......

I only say that because Customer Support is much much better than any Windows. But that's just my experience. And, truth be told, my Mac has had as many troubles as my Windows computers have had, only Mac was easier to fix.

You must have called their tech support when I wasn't working there. :P

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »

There's also the fact that Mac can run twice as fast on half the hardware as a Windows machine.

Thats just hilarious! Macs are no faster, no sturdier, no safer, yet cost 4 times as much. The one thing MACs do better is video and 3D image resolution. And that is pretty much it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »

Thats just hilarious! Macs are no faster, no sturdier, no safer, yet cost 4 times as much. The one thing MACs do better is video and 3D image resolution. And that is pretty much it.

I've ran a fresh install of a Windows machine and a Mac machine with pretty close to the same software, the Windows machine had a bit better of a graphics card.  The Mac machine ran everything faster.

Mac doesn't run 10 million background programs that are necessary like Windows does, it IS faster.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
I promise you, I can get them equal. windows does not need all those background programs either, they are dunped on their by the specific manufacturer. I can actually get an OLDER WinXP machine to perform better (not graphics) than a brand new Snow Leopard Mac.

I support, in a corporate environment, 15,000 PCs running XP, and 1,000 Macs (split between Leopard and Snow Leopard). On average, I get more Mac calls than PC calls. And I would say 50% of the Mac calls, the OS has to be reinstalled. and sadly, the Mac users are more saavy than the PC users, so it is rare for a Mac user to call up with a simple reboot issue.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »

I never said it wasn't possible, I'm just saying out of the box Mac runs faster. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
well, again, that is assuming you are comparing it to a specific manufacturer and they have the same specs, which is pretty much impossible. My 1 year old "Out of the box" Dell here at work (a crappy Optiplex) completely blows away my brand new "out of the box" Snow Leopard machine. the specs are close, the Mac processor is slightly "faster". But download speeds? The Dell by a mile, internet page loading? With java: Dell, without Java: Mac. Zipping files: Dell. Saving to network: Dell. completely useless applications: Mac wins every time. Word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, and anything else useful: Dell.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
well, again, that is assuming you are comparing it to a specific manufacturer and they have the same specs, which is pretty much impossible. My 1 year old "Out of the box" Dell here at work (a crappy Optiplex) completely blows away my brand new "out of the box" Snow Leopard machine. the specs are close, the Mac processor is slightly "faster". But download speeds? The Dell by a mile, internet page loading? With java: Dell, without Java: Mac. Zipping files: Dell. Saving to network: Dell. completely useless applications: Mac wins every time. Word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, and anything else useful: Dell.

Yeah, it's been my experience that "what's better, windows or mac" is a hit and miss sort of scenario. Lots of variable factors that make each experience different.

Though, i do find most of apple's claims in their ads to be rather...false. Especially the "Just works" ones. Every experience i've had with someone having a mac, it seems like they've had way more problems than a windows PC (except, of course, when windows ME was the big thing, then windows had way way WAYYY more problems.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
well, Me was an incredible bomb, far beyond what Vista was. At least Vista worked. ME didnt work for anything lol. But I would put XP or 7 up against Leopard and Snow Leopard any day of the week. Plus, you also have to consider cost.

My Dell Inspiron at home is a fantastic computer, barely 2 years old now, and cost me only $500 flat out. A new Mac woul d have cost at least $1500 at that time.

5 weeks ago, I bought my wife a Gateway mini-netbook for $350 2.6ghz processor, 4gb SD ram, 250 GB hard drive. A Mac-mini starts at $600 with about half those specs. to match the specs, you need to spring $800. (yes, i did a straigtht up camparison on the Apple site).

Plus, windows is hardware portable, Mac OS is not. I can load windows on a Mac machine, but cannot load MAC on a windows machine (at least, not easily).

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
well, Me was an incredible bomb, far beyond what Vista was. At least Vista worked. ME didnt work for anything lol. But I would put XP or 7 up against Leopard and Snow Leopard any day of the week. Plus, you also have to consider cost.

Oh yeah, you don't have to tell me that twice. I had ME for four years before i finally broke down and picked up XP

My Dell Inspiron at home is a fantastic computer, barely 2 years old now, and cost me only $500 flat out. A new Mac woul d have cost at least $1500 at that time.

5 weeks ago, I bought my wife a Gateway mini-netbook for $350 2.6ghz processor, 4gb SD ram, 250 GB hard drive. A Mac-mini starts at $600 with about half those specs. to match the specs, you need to spring $800. (yes, i did a straigtht up camparison on the Apple site).

Plus, windows is hardware portable, Mac OS is not. I can load windows on a Mac machine, but cannot load MAC on a windows machine (at least, not easily).

I saw an article a while back, just before 7 released, talking about PC cost vs. Mac Costs, and apparently mac, just the OS, comes out to costing more over time because of the constant stream of upgraded versions compared to windows. Because windows versions are fewer and far between, but cost quite a bit more.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.