Author Topic: At what point do you send to a publisher?  (Read 5073 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: At what point do you send to a publisher?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »

I seem to remember an episode of some podcast (it may have been Writing Excuses) where someone talks of a short story they had written and put into a competition and some agent like basically attacked him asking for a manuscript of a book for it. lol.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »
george rr martin wrote somewhere that he recommends that people start with short stories for several years in order to build a reputation before looking for an agent.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
george rr martin wrote somewhere that he recommends that people start with short stories for several years in order to build a reputation before looking for an agent.

I disagree.  That may work for some people, but writing a good short story vs writing a good novel (in my opinion) are different skill sets.  I'd say write what you feel like writing, and try to sell it.  But don't feel like you need to follow a script.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »
martin's rationale was to make a name for yourself. this makes it more likely that someone will read your manuscript.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »
They're also good credits to put in your query letter, particularly if you land a sale with one of the big three publishers (Asimov, Analog, SF&F). But any agent will tell you that it's not necessary to have those credits. And yes, I agree with Steve. Short story and novel writing are related skill sets, but they are different skill sets.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
supposedly Baen online short stories pays the most. 25 cents/word. It is still chump change... so you are probably better off trying to get your story published in one of the big name short story magazines.

the thing is, I know alot of people who read sci-fi/fantasy. I don't know anyone who gets those magazines.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
supposedly Baen online short stories pays the most. 25 cents/word. It is still chump change... so you are probably better off trying to get your story published in one of the big name short story magazines.

the thing is, I know alot of people who read sci-fi/fantasy. I don't know anyone who gets those magazines.

Don't underestimate Baen.  They sell well, but they are mostly Military SF or Alternate History.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:56 AM »

I disagree.  That may work for some people, but writing a good short story vs writing a good novel (in my opinion) are different skill sets.  I'd say write what you feel like writing, and try to sell it.  But don't feel like you need to follow a script.

Exactly.  One time I was talking with Brandon and Eric James Stone.  Brandon had talked about how wonderful Eric is at writing short stories and how much he himself sucks at it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。