Author Topic: At what point do you send to a publisher?  (Read 4437 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
At what point do you send to a publisher?
« on: November 25, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »

I have a question.

At what point (and what) do you send your novel or novel idea to a publisher?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: At what point do you send to a publisher?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:23:18 AM »
When your manuscript is done. Then it's time to start querying, unless you have a personal relationship with an editor.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:53 AM »
When your mauscript is done, and revised to the point where you don't think you can make it any better.

Also, these days you generally don't your manuscript to a publisher directly (unless, perhaps, you're targeting small presses). You send it to an agent, and if you find one willing to represent you, they'll approach publishers.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
yeah.  dont send it off before you are done.  I've heard so many people say "well, by the time I get a response, I will be done." the agent or editor could ask for a full manuscript the day after you send it.  it's happened.  then you will have blown your chance.  in addition, you don't know that you can finish a novel until you have actually finished it.

You send your manuscript to an agent first--though some cases it is ok to send to an editor first, it just makes it hard to get any sort of bargaining power on the contract that way.  If you don't personally know an agent or an editor, you send query letters, and then the manuscript when/if they ask for it.

If you feel comfortable that your manuscript is good enough, send it out.  It doesn't have to be perfect (thought the first 3 chapters/30 pages should be as close to perfect as possible).  I've read manuscript submissions that were given to Brandon's agent Joshua, and they were rough.  If there is a glimmer of writing there, and a fantastic idea and story, you have a shot.  If you feel like you are just tinkering, stop wasting your time and send your query/manuscript out while you work on your next project.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »

Thanks guys.

bookstore - What would be included in a query letter?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »
Typically a paragraph about yourself (including past professional sales in the market--short stories, etc, and perhaps a bit about how your influences coincide with the Agent's client list), and a paragraph about the book.  Don't write it so it can be read with the movie-
trailer guy's voice ("In a WORLD where cotton candy is POISON...").

For Example:

"My novel, THE PINK BUNNIES, is a historical fantasy about Playboy Bunnies being transported to Victorian England where they start an interstellar brothel. "  Then add some stuff that highlights why it is different from all the other Playboy Bunny stories.  Cool magic.  Neat Setting.  Whatever.

You can probably do an internet search on query letters to get some decent examples.  Some agents even post the text of the queries they liked.

This is all the query advice I can give, since the two agents I know just want the manuscript to my novel when it is done, skipping the query phase and partial manuscript phase completely.  Hope I helped a tad.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »

Yes you did.  Thanks a ton. =]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »
Well, nobody's addressed this, so I'll pipe up.  This is what I'd do if I were you (and I hope to be you--meaning finished my first draft--at some point in the not-to-distant-future):

1) Finish 1st draft
2) Revise entire book focusing exclusively on plot holes
3) Revise entire book focusing exclusively on character development
4) Revise entire book focusing exclusively on setting/description
5) Grammar Nazi time

You can re-arrange steps 2 through 4 depending on where you think your book's weakest spot is, but to my thinking, if your plot has holes, well, those need to be fixed first.

Anyway, the above is my plan of attack, and I think it's pretty good, but if anyone would feel free to disagree...
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
Well, were I to submit a manuscript, I would have to go through all of those steps before I could call it "done", in my mind. As Steve said, there is a point where there is too much revision and you're just tinkering, but there's no reason to simply let obvious flaws tarnish the submission. Make it as good as you can get it.

Before submitting, I'd do one good revision of the manuscript after pushing it through a writing group or alpha readers to get some perspective on it. One revision can go a world of good, and if you're like me and make typos fairly frequently (or missing words, in my case), a final readthrough for polish would be effective. At the very least, read through the first three chapters and make sure there's no flaws.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »

It's not completely done.  It feels very promising though.  I think I have a decently original concept and my outline is quite filled out and the writing is coming along really well. 

And yes, I was actually going to do my own revisions.  Give it to a certain few friends I know would be good at editing, then ask someone I know who is a professional editor how much they charge and pay them to look it over, then send it in.

Thanks Cynic. =]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:53 PM »
Exactly--make the first three chapters as polished as possible.  There comes a point where it's not worth putting any more effort into unless you know it's getting picked up.  It's like when new writers try to write  a huge series.  Why would you keep writing sequels in the series if you aren't sure the first book is going to sell?

I wouldn't give it to a professional editor and pay them to look at it.  Once again, why pay when you aren't sure the book will get picked up.  That's a needless expense.  A good agent will see promise in you novel if there is promise to be had.  Paying an editor before you get an agent and a REAL editor feels like you are submitting to a scam.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
It's like when new writers try to write  a huge series.  Why would you keep writing sequels in the series if you aren't sure the first book is going to sell?

Definitely. It's much better to keep moving on to new things until you get an IP that someone wants.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »

I've probably learned more here, in less than a page, than I have anywhere else. =]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »
how do you get the names and contacts of agents to send manuscripts to?

do any people start with short stories then get agents contacting them if they get a reputation?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 02:50:25 AM »
Guessingo: These days, the Internet is a great way to start. Checking the acknowledgement pages of the books you read is also not a bad way to procure agent names.

As far as agents (or editors, for that matter) contacting authors themselves: As far as I know, it does happen, but it's rare.