Author Topic: SG-U  (Read 3132 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
SG-U
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »

So I've been watching this one since it started showing.  I was wondering if anyone else is watching it?  I think Peter is, but I just wanted to know other people's opinions of it.

I personally really like it.  Though, I admit, it will be nice when they get the stupid ship fixed and like . . . that's not the focus of most episodes.

(It seems kinda ripped off Atlantis, but then again it's also the same type of situation.  Old something left out nowhere, but I am enjoying it so far. . . )

Also, we need a good enemy . . . . . . There isn't one so far.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: SG-U
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
I've been watching this.  The first episodes really suffered from a BSG comparison, but it isn't like they were bad.  The Ice Planet episode "Water" was the weakest.  However, the 2 most current episodes were really good.  If the show continues as it is right now, it will be quite excellent.

I would say that they need to start fixing the ship as well, but they haven't had a ton of time.  Also, my personal theory is that the ship is all effed up for a reason.  I think it is a giant test for the humans.  To see if they are worthy and the like.

And yes, some actual real bad guys would be nice other than Lou Diamond Phillips (who I really hate as an actor).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »

I think he's a decent actor, I just HATE his character.  Seriously, want him to just die in a car wreck.

It's funny because I hated Dr. Macay in Atlantis, but I love Dr. Rush, even though they are very similar character archetypes.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »
I don't see McKay and Rush as similar at all. McKay is hilarious, and Rush is the antithesis of hilarious.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »

They're like both super geniuses who always tell everyone else they are wrong and they should listen to them.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
Ah, but McKay would have sat in the chair with no hesitation.

I think that Rush is one of the worst kinds of coward—thinks he himself is too important to risk but thinks everyone else is below him and so has no trouble risking other people's lives. It does make him an interesting character, but I have a lot of trouble standing the guy.

McKay has a high opinion of himself though he can be insecure in action situations, but when it comes down to it he does what needs to be done. And he's his own best guinea pig.

If I had to trust my life to one of them I'd take McKay over Rush any day.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »
Ah, but McKay would have sat in the chair with no hesitation.

I think that Rush is one of the worst kinds of coward—thinks he himself is too important to risk but thinks everyone else is below him and so has no trouble risking other people's lives. It does make him an interesting character, but I have a lot of trouble standing the guy.

McKay has a high opinion of himself though he can be insecure in action situations, but when it comes down to it he does what needs to be done. And he's his own best guinea pig.

If I had to trust my life to one of them I'd take McKay over Rush any day.

Well said Peter.

I have to say, I'm sick of the alien communication stones being used for conjugal visits (not to mention them being used in general for "awwww" moments).  I don't buy it, and they are ignoring the moral issues here (hello, rape anyone?).

Greer is becoming my fav character.  Every episode, they reveal a little bit more about his past and character, and it is always riveting stuff--the really short psych-eval session he had was perfect.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:03:34 PM »

Yeah, I guess you're right.  Though I fully understand why Rush doesn't want to sit in the chair.  It would be scary!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:37 AM »
I agree that the body snatching sex is really really weird. and the people they are hooking up with just buy into it immediately. Frankly, that would never happen because part of human relationships is physical attraction. Plus, the whole "im gonna use your body to have sex with my wife" - well, what would happen if she got pregnant? Or is safe sex just assumed?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »

Yeah it is very weird.  I would never be able to do that.  It would just be way too . . . . awkward. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »
I would have to insist that the next time, my wife switched bodies with a bikini  model.