Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
V
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »
Did anyone else watch this? We just caught it on Hulu and will be watching more (if the first 4 episodes don't get good ratings, the general understanding is that they won't make more). Parts of it were predictable but the production values were high and the acting was good.

We rewatched the original series last year and though it started out well it just got worse and worse. My childhood memories were shattered like they'd never been shattered before. I hope this show doesn't veer off into stupid too quickly.

Though really I hope that they have a plan for it to go somewhere, anywhere, and not just make stuff up one week at a time. We're tired of those shows like Lost and Heroes.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: V
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
My mum found out it was on and freaked out.  So we downloaded it and watched it, which then prompted her to find and download the original miniseires and tv series.

I thought the old miniseries(es) were good.  The *spoiler*[hide]stupid looking alien baby[/hide] was just bad, but understandably nessary.  By the end of everything I just wanted to hug Willie.  He's so cute, and the actor did a really good job.  However, they should have just left it with the two miniseries.  The tv show was just plain bad.  My mum and me had more fun making fun of it, and pointing out the recycled scenes then we did watching.  Expecially when you consider that Star Trek, Star Wars, and the old Battlestar Galatica were all three out by this point, and all three were better then the tv series.

The actress who played Elizabeth should have gotten more limelight though.  She was good!  Too bad she never really went anywhere.

As for the new show, I'm waiting before I make a judgement.  From what I saw so far it was good.  A bit rushed, but good.  I just hope they don't try to copy the old show exactly plot wise.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
Yeah, when I was writing the post, Karen mentioned that at least the new show can be expected not to rely so highly on reused footage like the first series. ;) There was that one scene where a ship crashed and Lydia said "better luck next time" to Diana...and when they reused it they just ignored the fact that Lydia's uniform had changed by then. So so bad. Even I recognized that at 8 years old.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:42 AM »
I caught the first episode, but the second one was airing during some sort of maintenance, and that's all it was the whole slot... planning on catching it on Hulu when I have the time.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.