Author Topic: Coolest movie scenes of all time  (Read 12257 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest movie scenes of all time
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »
No one has mentioned the bank robbery scene from Heat? I'm a little disappointed in you all. That scene is chilling, and even more so when a similar shoot-out happens in real life soon after the movie is released. Geez, the moment where Val Kilmer coldly drops the duffel-bag and begins shooting anything that moves...

How about the opening D-Day scene of Saving Private Ryan (or that horrific scene where the guy is slowly stabbed *shudder*).

I'm also a sucker for the ending of Man on Fire.

If I'm feeling nostalgic, the first time I remember seeing a Star Destroyer pass in Star Wars...

And, lastly, King Kong on the ice.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »
I 100% agree with you on the D-Day scene of Saving Private Ryan. You can pretty much cut away any scene from that movie and add it to this thread.

I'll also throw in the scene from The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford(Yah way too long of a movie title) where Robert Ford...well...assassinates Jesse James. It's one of the most intense scenes I've ever watched. The way the scene builds is just brilliant.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
But which scene(s)? (Note thread title.)
Oh, when I said that UHF had most of the classics, I meant the scenes. It quotes and misquotes quite a few.

Blade Runner's cat and mouse scenes.

Some good non-action scenes:
A good and famous one is the rollerskating scene from Shall We Dance (1937). "You say potato," etc.

De Boeldieu and von Rauffenstein's scenes from La Grande Illusion.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:08:11 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
GI Joe was, on the whole, the stupidest movie I've seen in years, but there were lots of entertaining scenes. The Accelerator Suit chase scene, in particular, was awesome. I dare say it was worth sitting through the whole movie for that one scene.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
3:10 to Yuma: the end scene where Russel Crow kills his posse. Absolutely awesome and shocking.... But like Private Ryan, you can add almost the entire movie to this "greatest scene" thread.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 03:18:51 AM »
Matrix number uno when they go to save Morphious!!! or Neo's fight with Agent Smith
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »
Because I am watching it right now....

Star Wars V - Empire strikes back
Just before Han Solo gets frozen in carbonite.

Leia: Han, I Love you!
Han: I know.

So simple, so good.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
The scene in The Dark Knight, where the semi-trailer flips over....I also rather like the part where the criminal throws the detonator out the window. And the whole Harvey Dent/Rachel Dawes in the warehouses part. And the press conference where Batman is going to turn himself in, and Harvey tries to convince everyone it's not a good idea. "The night is darkest just before the dawn, but I promise you, the dawn is coming."...There are some really good lines in that movie. And scenes....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Catcha

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 04:59:08 AM »
I actually love the scene in The Neverending Story (the first one of course, none of the others were worth watching) when Atreyu has to run between those sphinx things and see the oracle.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 05:40:33 AM »
Tombstone in which Wyit Erp yells no and kills everyone.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 04:58:16 AM »
Sean Connery's death scene in the Untouchables.

The final starship battle scene from Wrath of Kahn.

The Normandy scene from Private Ryan is even more chilling when your Grandfather, who was there, tells you it really was that horrific. (that slow stabbing scene really gets me too.  Good call BG)

The Climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »
One of my favorite scenes of all time is in Scream, when the movie geek watches a killer sneak up on a girl in a movie, while a newsman is watching a killer sneak up on the movie geek through a hidden camera, while we in the audience watch a killer sneak up on the newsman. Absolutely brilliant.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
There's a scene in Unforgiven where Eastwood is talking to Freeman about the "old days," and Freeman says something along the lines of "Man, and you took out those 3 guys--" and Eastwood says in this perfect humble and uncomfortable tone (so you know he's just telling you like it is), "There were 4 guys...and yeah, I killed em all."  The quotes aren't exact, but the feeling it left was awesome.  So often the legends of gunfighters are overblown--in this case they were undercut.  Such a great and subtle scene.

There is a scene in Deadwood (overall a meh series), where Swearengen kills the priest out of mercy.  One of the most humanizing and heart-wrenching scenes I've ever seen.  No words are spoken, yet in that 2 minute scene, we get more true character development of a character (Swearengen) than most movies and tv shows manage over hours and hours of film.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/