Author Topic: People who re-inforce stereotypes  (Read 10549 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
People who re-inforce stereotypes
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:58:42 AM »

Is it just me or is it extremely annoying when people seem extremely in  need of enforcing the stereotype of a group they belong to.

Examples:

Someone who shortly after coming out of the closet becomes that extremely bubbly "oh-mygaaawwwwwwwwssssh I totally love your haieeeeerrrr" type of gay guy.  Like they go out of their way to make gay comments or sound/act extremely gay.

The black person who dresses in absolutely obnoxious clothing and talks with a fake accent and acts like . . . . I dunno, just what you maybe expect to see in an older movie where they were making fun of black people.

The white person who feels the need to dress and act like a cowboy even though they grew up in the city.

I mean I'm not talking about the person that grew up in the way they are acting or the person who just is that way because slowly it just happened.

I'm talking about the people who fake it.  Like I remember my one friend, she was black and one year she acted just like any other person who had grown up in the same area we did.  Then after the summer she was that super stereo typical black person.

I just don't understand why people do those things.  I think it's annoying, because it's things like this that keep stereotypes floating around and gives them validity.

Anyone else have opinions on this topic?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: People who re-inforce stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
well, at least you cant fake nerd.....

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »
Oh yes you can, and I've seen people trying to do it.  Some of them it's very obvious what they're doing.  Others however are very good at it.  Either way, usually their reasons aren't too kind for the person they're targeting.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »
I grew up in the city and i where polished boots (3+ times a week gennerally b/c they are black and fit the uniform code) to work and own a straw hat for summer and a felt hat for fall and winter. I have a mild west texan accent though i've always lived in the Dallas area (north texas) and the vocabulary i use is larger than any hick's/ redneck's. So if it's honest to god you i have no problem with it. However, less than 1% of them have that personality and they behave that way because they wish to be accepted or some other pathetic reason. Weak willed people disturb & disgust me.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »

See Kaz, you lived that way though so it makes SENSE you have the accent and whatnot.

Now, imagine someone who grew up in Boston came down there and talked and acted extremely like they were those super Texas accented people who wore giant belt buckles and boots and 501's all the time.  Wouldn't that annoy you?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
What I meant was, you cant fake  it to fit in, you can fake it to make fun of someone, sure.

what about those of us who have lived all over?

I actually find myself slipping into the accent of whoever I am talking to. I live in the "Boston" area, so sometimes take on a Bostonian accent. I also spent alot of time in Eastern Pennsylvania - coal mining country and am able to easily slip into a "drawl" without a problem. I also lived in New York City, and can do fast-talk  and Brooklyn with the best of them.

none of those accents is fake, they are all mine.

I do not however, wear a clock around my neck when I visit the city, nor a Stetson hat when visiting the country.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »

See Kaz, you lived that way though so it makes SENSE you have the accent and whatnot.

Now, imagine someone who grew up in Boston came down there and talked and acted extremely like they were those super Texas accented people who wore giant belt buckles and boots and 501's all the time.  Wouldn't that annoy you?

Maybe they feel like assimilating?
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
Fake accents suck!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Chris Northern

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
What I meant was, you cant fake  it to fit in, you can fake it to make fun of someone, sure.

what about those of us who have lived all over?

I actually find myself slipping into the accent of whoever I am talking to. I live in the "Boston" area, so sometimes take on a Bostonian accent. I also spent alot of time in Eastern Pennsylvania - coal mining country and am able to easily slip into a "drawl" without a problem. I also lived in New York City, and can do fast-talk  and Brooklyn with the best of them.

none of those accents is fake, they are all mine.

I do not however, wear a clock around my neck when I visit the city, nor a Stetson hat when visiting the country.

Yeah, I do that. Worse, my accent slips when I'm not paying attention..

"Are you Australian? New Zealand? South Africa....?" Increasingly desperate guesses follow.

"No, no, I'm english, actually. see, I just used the word actually in natural conversation - what more proof do you want?" ;D

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
Hell I'm the grandson of a women who grew up on a tenet farm, & I use actually fairly frequently.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:19:49 AM »
I think "actually" is used frequently in the US.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:08 AM »

I don't think I use it very often.  I think I say "really" a lot more.  Or "For really".
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
I think every other word out of my son's mouth is "actually"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Brandon uses it all the time in his annotations, but I've edited a lot of them out.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
I use actually way too much.
~금강산도 식후경~