General > Rants and Stuff

People who re-inforce stereotypes

(1/6) > >>

Miyabi:

Is it just me or is it extremely annoying when people seem extremely in  need of enforcing the stereotype of a group they belong to.

Examples:

Someone who shortly after coming out of the closet becomes that extremely bubbly "oh-mygaaawwwwwwwwssssh I totally love your haieeeeerrrr" type of gay guy.  Like they go out of their way to make gay comments or sound/act extremely gay.

The black person who dresses in absolutely obnoxious clothing and talks with a fake accent and acts like . . . . I dunno, just what you maybe expect to see in an older movie where they were making fun of black people.

The white person who feels the need to dress and act like a cowboy even though they grew up in the city.

I mean I'm not talking about the person that grew up in the way they are acting or the person who just is that way because slowly it just happened.

I'm talking about the people who fake it.  Like I remember my one friend, she was black and one year she acted just like any other person who had grown up in the same area we did.  Then after the summer she was that super stereo typical black person.

I just don't understand why people do those things.  I think it's annoying, because it's things like this that keep stereotypes floating around and gives them validity.

Anyone else have opinions on this topic?

mtlhddoc2:
well, at least you cant fake nerd.....

firstRainbowRose:
Oh yes you can, and I've seen people trying to do it.  Some of them it's very obvious what they're doing.  Others however are very good at it.  Either way, usually their reasons aren't too kind for the person they're targeting.

Patriotic Kaz:
I grew up in the city and i where polished boots (3+ times a week gennerally b/c they are black and fit the uniform code) to work and own a straw hat for summer and a felt hat for fall and winter. I have a mild west texan accent though i've always lived in the Dallas area (north texas) and the vocabulary i use is larger than any hick's/ redneck's. So if it's honest to god you i have no problem with it. However, less than 1% of them have that personality and they behave that way because they wish to be accepted or some other pathetic reason. Weak willed people disturb & disgust me.

Miyabi:

See Kaz, you lived that way though so it makes SENSE you have the accent and whatnot.

Now, imagine someone who grew up in Boston came down there and talked and acted extremely like they were those super Texas accented people who wore giant belt buckles and boots and 501's all the time.  Wouldn't that annoy you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version