Author Topic: What should I read next?  (Read 5229 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: What should I read next?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
Bad A**
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
What!?  What's wrong with you people?  Nobody's plugged The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie?  Start with The Blade Itself.  Easily the best thing I've read in years...
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
I suggest going to the book review blog I run with my friend Nick.  We have several dozen books and series you should start reading.  And now that we are back--though a little bleary-eyed--from our individual vacations, we have an absurdly awesome selection of reviews coming up.  Go over to the "Books" forum where we always discuss the stuff on this thread.  I would link it, but I'm half-asleep...

And yes, Erikson is awesome.  He is even more awesome in person.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
What?!!!! I hate you Steve, you got to meet Erickson?!!!! Congrats.... and it's good your back
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

vegetathalas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • Jenn's World
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »
A finished series I like is the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes. Begins with "The Briar King".

It's like if George R.R. Martin and Robert Jordan had a baby.

Picture Elayne, from the WoT series, with no Rand to moon over, and she makes pacts with evil devil fairies for a superpowers and goes to train with a bunch of religious assassins. Meanwhile, she's on the run with a bunch of human-sacrifice loving villains who can possess other people's bodies.

I second Dave Farland and R. Scott Bakker. Although be warned that R. Scott Bakker is vulgar and explicit in deliciously evil ways. I don't like the second trilogy he's writing as much as the first.

BDagger

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Exodus
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »
I would second the Dresden Files motion but they're a totally different genre than the epic fantasy Brandon and Mr. Jordan have created.  But if you even remotely like Urban Fantasy then Dresden Files is a MUST!  Butcher's Alera series is . . . okay . . .  I wasn't thoroughly impressed with it.  But I must point out that the book I read right before the first Alera book was Hero of Ages.  Alera couldn't even come close.

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Well for a dare its very good.
Use 2 overused cliches and make an good book-series,
well its one overused cliche, I dont think pokemons came very often into fantasy books.

flyleaffan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 03:52:28 AM »
Another good author is L. E. Modesitt Jr.
His "Saga of Recluse" is good if you can handle weird writing techniques. When not narrating for the main character (1st person past tense), he writes in 3rd person present tense (He goes to the store and sees his friend there). It gets a little annoying but the magic system is pretty cool. It's based one the balance between order and chaos.

Also, Modesitt's "Imager" series is good. I'm in the middle of the first one, Imager, but it's still pretty good. a believable magic system.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 04:22:06 AM »
I am sorry, but I'll disagree. As far as worldbuilding goes, I think Modesitt is decent. However his writing style was absolutely horrid to me. I read the first two books, because a friend whose opinion I value a lot recommended them to me. I ended up in a situation where I would read, and read, and read, hoping that the writing will get better. It didn't.

It might be that I am overreacting, but there were times when I couldn't read more than 10 pages in one sitting.

Oh, and the sound effects. He wouldn't say that a horse whinnied. He would type the sound the horse would produce. It was extremely annoying to me...
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 05:58:18 AM »
Onimonapeas are a greater sin than Chaos worship! (you should worship me instead)

Skywalkered

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »
I know a lot of Fantasy lovers dislike him, but I suggest Terry Brooks and the Shannara Series. Did LotR influence his first book heavily, yes, but it's still a pretty good piece of work and he completely evolved the series from there into something entirely his own. "The Word and The Void" was a very dark and interesting read.
If you're looking for something way shorter I suggest C.S. Lewis. He's a great story teller and I enjoyed his books a lot. Or if you like "Alcatraz" you'll probably like Patricia C. Wrede and her "Enchanted forest Chronicles." They're hilarious!
Life can be a fairy tale. My life is an Autobiography on the worst seller list.

Tombstone0

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »
You should also check out Robin Hobb starting with The Farseer Trilogy. Those three are her first, and best, books.
The next two trilogies are set in the same world and are also very good (The Liveship Traders, and The Tawny Man).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
I've read a little of Hobb and it's not for everyone.... like those easily depressed