Author Topic: What should I read next?  (Read 5189 times)

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
What should I read next?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author and I have read all of his books.  I have also read all of the WoT.

I used to like George Martin until he gave up writing books.

After Sanderson and Jordan, my next favorites are Rothfuss, Jennifer Fallon, and Brent Weeks.

But after those great authors, so many fantasy authors just can't seem to compare.  Is there a great author out there I've missed?  I never even heard of Sanderson until he was picked for WoT, but I'm so glad I know of him now.  It just made me realize I could be missing someone else.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Re: What should I read next?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:10 AM »
I actually asked Brandon this, and he told me that since I enjoyed Alcatraz (his YA books) so much, that I should try Terry Pratchett, and start with either the Truth, or Men at Arms. I actually think this was asked online before, so let me see if I can find it....
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:59:45 AM »
Pratchett is always a good choice. I've enjoyed Raymond Feist quite a lot, and he was my favorite author before I got my hands on Elantris and Mistborn. Start off with the Riftwar Saga (Magician, Master Magician, Darkness at Sethanon), and then just see what's next chronologically - there are quite a few books. The story might get a little repetitive after a while, but the language is beautiful enough to make up for it, I think. Language and characters. Oh, and cosmology. And a few other things I can't think of right now...

Another option would be Steven Eddings (sp?) and his Malazan Book of the Fallen. I've said it before, and I'll repeat - I think Brandon's style is somewhat dark, which is something I completely adore. Well, Eddings's style is horribly morbid at times. I think he is very much like Martin in some ways - killing his old characters off, because they are getting old, and then introducing new ones, and killing them too, because they are too new. Funstuff. If you do decide to go with Eddings, keep in mind that usually the first half of each book will look boring and alien, because all of this knowledge about the world is being dumped down on you, and there is very little explanation. And then the second half will make your jaw drop every second page.

And another option would be David Farland's Runelords. I really don't have a whole lot to say about them (because I rarely remember much of a book after I've read it only once), but they are good in pretty much every aspect of the fantasy literature.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:47:31 AM »
ArgentSun, i believe u are confusing two different authors.  Steven Erikson is the name of the author who writes the Malazan books, and David Eddings is another author whom Brandon has also suggested at some point.

I would also try Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and i am currently reading a book by another new Utah author named John Brown called Servant of a Dark God which so far is very good.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:30:14 AM »
Stay away form the other Terry's b/c as Steve puts it they are terribad!!!! Read Glen Cook's Black Company...it's an easy read and fun (dark fantasy)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

BloodlessVictory

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Portalstones.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:06 AM »
Recommending...

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series

S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire series (has in-character homages to Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time)

Don't expect them to be as smashing as Mistborn or Wheel of Time, they're more on the order of Brent Weeks - well-done and very fun.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 07:21:39 AM »
Seconding The Black Company. They're such great books! Also try The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
Everything by David Gemmell is pretty good. I would recommend starting with 'Legend' which is Gemmell's first book, or his Troy trilogy which begins with 'Lord of the Silverbow'.

I think David Gemmell was one of Brandon Sanderson's influences, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he named a character Gemmell in one of his books as a tribute to him.

Other books that I would suggest is Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and the Warded Man by Peter V. Brett

Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
ArgentSun, i believe u are confusing two different authors.  Steven Erikson is the name of the author who writes the Malazan books, and David Eddings is another author whom Brandon has also suggested at some point

Right. I was in the train this morning, thinking "Crap, I wrote Eddings instead of Erikson!". Unfortunately you caught me before I could fix it :)

David Eddings had... Belgariad? I can't remember the names, but they were also splendid books. More humorous than the epic fantasy I like, but good nonetheless. Mostly.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
Erickson = uber Eddings = good....bad mix up! Eddings isn't even in the same league as Erickson!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
Both of them start with an 'E'!

Have a little mercy for the poor foreigner :(

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
I think David Gemmell was one of Brandon Sanderson's influences, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he named a character Gemmell in one of his books as a tribute to him.

That's correct. Kelsier's mentor in Mistborn was named Gemmell, though he was never seen on-screen.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
i just couldn't deal with the fact that Erikson seemed not to care if his readers had any clue what was going on or not and so couldn't finish Gardens of the Moon the first time i tried.  maybe i'll have to give it another try...
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
Andrew, Steve, and I all concur that the Malazan series is BA

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
Whats BA?

Regardless, Steven Erickson is one of the Great Ones.
(And I have to say after WoT 12, Sanderson is one too).

One not mentioned in this thread: R. Scott Bakker

[edit:]
Almost forgot:
Jim Butcher
He has two series on "classic" fantasy (Alera books), another urban fantasy (Harry Dresden books).
If you dont want to wait for new books I would recommend his Alera books (the last on comes out next(?) month.
If you want more to read take his Harry Dresden books.

[second edit:]
There are sample chapters of his books on his Homepage.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:00:31 PM by Korwin »