Author Topic: Thanks, Brandon...  (Read 2775 times)

rayonnair

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Thanks, Brandon...
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
...for giving up the opportunity to read A Memory of Light so that we could.

(*goes back to eating up TGS*)

vernhebert

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks, Brandon...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
Rayonair may have beat me to it, but I'd like to say thank you to as well.

It's been a long time coming and was worth the wait.    The book was very well written and the story was masterful as always.  I appreciate the effort and look forward to reading the final two installments.

Fodder

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Space Commentary
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
Ditto.  It is going to be a long year.  But better that than a long two years.  Looking forward to way of kings as well. 
My glorious introduction can be found on this forum at http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.285

cultjam

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »
Thank you very much for finishing Robert Jordan's book, The Gathering Storm.

I was never into the science fiction books until I picked up a book in the breakroom at work and it was one of Robert Jordan's wheel of time books. I was hooked!! I ended up buying all of the books and read them. I then gave the collection to a co-worker. A year later, I started buying the collection again and re-read all the books. I had been waiting a year for the rest of books to come out and finally did a search on the internet last year and found out that Robert Jordan had passed away. I was deeply saddened by this loss of such an excellent author. Mind you, I have read several books thru the years and never really remembered the author. Until I started reading Robort Jordans series of the wheel of time books. I will never forget him.
 I selfishly was excited when I read about his wife was going to have someone finish this series. So, I had been waiting a very long time for the ending of the The Wheel of Time Series. I am a member of the science fiction book club and when I seen this book was out, I was all geeked up, very excited and ordered it. I didnt care how much it cost. When I received it Thursday, I immediately started reading it. I could not put the book down until I finished it today, Sunday!!
You did an awesome job putting this book together from Robert Jordans materials!!
Now take your time finishing the other 2 books, but have them put out quickly:) You are doing an awesome job finishing the series!! Keep up the awesome work Brandon.

Caseus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
I started reading TGS this morning. I'm on page 274, and after a particularly brilliant scene (no spoilers) I just had to say thank you so much. You're an amazing writer and a perfect choice to wrap up this epic fantasy series.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »
Brandon appreciate thread, eh? :)

Let me join the crowd then. I am really happy with how TGS turned out to be. The book kept its WoT spirit - characters' voices mostly, I think - but it also had some Brandon elements. Namely a few avalanches, and the significantly darker setting. I might be influenced by Elantris and Mistborn, but I see Brandon as slightly darker author, and I find myself enjoying that a lot. Warbreaker was a brilliant novel, but it just didn't feel as good as the Mistborn trilogy or Elantris. *shrug* It might be just me.

But back to WoT. It was wonderful. It's no secret that the last few WoT books' story was dragging. Some of Perrin's chapters felt like they could summarized as "And he rode... and rode... and rode... and rode... and rode...". Yes, some chapters were really interesting, but the majority of the last... maybe 3 books (KoD excluded) were going down a slippery slope. And then TGS came, and it was just as good as the first WoT books - the ones almost everybody agrees were the best. I honestly expect ToM and AMoL to be even better, as Brandon grows more familiar with Jordan's style and world.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
I haven't finished yet, but should be there soon and I agree with the sentiments. Thank you

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »
I want to add my thanks. The series will never be the same without Robert Jordan to finish them, but I don't know of any other author who can do the series justice.

Thank you, Brandon R. R. Sanderson.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
Brandon, I would not be exaggerating in the least if I said that you are my hero.  Your work in TGS was mind-blowing.  Your solo novels have all inspired me to work harder.  Your role in Writing Excuses has given me some of the tools I need to do so.

If we have a Grandpa Tolkien, Robert Jordan is undoubtedly the uncle in our fantasy author family, and you, Brandon Sanderson, are the older Brother.

Thank you for everything you have given us so far.  I'll be along for the ride as long as you keep at it.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
Everyone calls Jordan the crazed/ fun uncle so who's pop?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
+1 fu**ing to this thread.

I already had an high opinion of Mr. Branderson. But after TGS this opionion got multiplied a few times.

Great book!

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:27:26 AM »
I can't wait to read the series again as a whole after it's finished.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?