Author Topic: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*  (Read 51509 times)

Wolfstar

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »
Oh, something I just thought of. Or recalled rather.

Egwene's speech from the last (?) chapter felt a little out of character for her I think. I am by no means an expert, but to me it felt like the speech was coming from somebody far more forceful, willful, even manful than Egwene. I realize her words were supposed to be as I describe them - forceful, willful - but I think it was too much of those things.

It might be just me, of course. But I think words like this would come from someone like Mat, when he gets carried away by his instinctual memories (e.g. when he came up with a battle plan against Shaido in minutes, while Lan & co. too hours).

Keep in mind, we spent this book watching Egwene grow into her Amyrlin shawl.  She had been raised by the rebels, but she didn't really learn what it meant to be Amyrlin until she was captured by Elaida's group.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »
Yes, I am well aware of this. But her conversations with the Novices in the Tower, with the other Aes Sedai, with Elaida and Meidani, and even with Siuan - none of them portrayed her as forceful as she seemed in that last speech. And that is not necessarily a bad thing - it might be intended, to show growth and all that.

I recall Brandon, Dan and Howard discussing writing groups in one of their Writing Excuses podcasts, and one of the things mentioned there was that one of the best critiques an author can receive is one that tells him how the reader felt, not what he thought. Well, I am just trying to explain how I felt about Egwene there at the end - I felt that she was a little off :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Squeakle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 01:32:22 AM »
The Semirhage scene seems to be one of the most popular topics here, here are my two theories regarding it.

a) Semirhage was released as the DO wanted her punished, knowing what would happen. Aside from the fact that she was recently "broken" by Cadsuane and might be spilling secrets, it would not seem out of character for the DO.

b) The true power is not actually the power of the DO. The DO's prison was created from it (as has been stipulated before) and as such, it has become tainted by proximity (similar vein to filling hole with Saidin) to such a point that he can manipulate it (and hence 'control' it). Rand is so ta'veren maybe the control slipped. This may also fit with the theory that Lanfear did not 'knowingly' bore open the DO's prison, but this was only my impression from reading it.

These theories do seem kind of contradictory. If the DO didn't control, why release Semi with the collars as punishment (although there is the other reason of Cadsuane)?

Thoughts?

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2009, 01:52:10 AM »
But her conversations with the Novices in the Tower, with the other Aes Sedai, with Elaida and Meidani, and even with Siuan - none of them portrayed her as forceful as she seemed in that last speech. And that is not necessarily a bad thing - it might be intended, to show growth and all that.

I think people fail to realize just how much of a change a person can go through after experiencing difficult or extraordinary circumstances. I would hope after almost single-handedly repelling a Seanchan raid, ordering the execution of over 50 Black Ajah, mere seconds from ordering an attack on the White Tower itself and raised as the rightfull Amyrlin seat all within a 48 hour period of time, that she had experienced some growth or at the very least a loss of composure when speaking in front of the remaining Aes Sedai.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:55:32 AM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 02:11:47 AM »
You all jump on me like Aes Sedai on a fox-head medallion :)

Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 02:32:15 AM »
And you have only one of the people that aren't newbs here on your butt! Just wait were like wolves, first we circle our prey THEN go for the kill. VegasDev likes to play with his food though. :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »
*stares defiantly*

Inde muaghde Aes Sedai misain ye!

I appreciate a challenge!

However, going back to the topic at hand - I have no issues with Egwene growing. Light knows, it was about time she really took control over her supporters, instead of just letting them scheme.  But such a drastic change... And even assuming she was capable of changing so much, the voice in that speech wasn't hers. I did not hear Egwene speak - at least not most of the time. Her comments about shame and duty were alright. But the rest really felt - to me - like something one of Sanderson's male leaders would say (e.g. Raoden, Kelsier, Elend).

tann|design

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:05 AM »
So much awesomeness  * moment of silence and contemplation*

First of all I have to say I loved Matt!  I wish he had been this funny throughout the whole series.  I was laughing out loud with the whole "great aunt scene"  Hilarious.

Rand...rand rand rand.  You worried me there for a minute, but glad to see you worked it all out.

Egwene just rocks.  The end.  Although I am concerned that she may have outgrown Gawyn now.  She has matured so much and really grown into her role, that Gawyn seems kind of left behind in High School.

Thank you Brandon Sanderson for sharing your talents with us and honoring Robert Jordan so well.

Whatever_man

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
Brandon,

I'd have to say amazing job with this book. I loved it, one of the best ones of the series.
I think everyone has mentioned the matt over the top issue, but to be honest I chortled all the way through those sections. Its bad because you immediately think this is not how Jordan would have done it but at the same time you felt like you were listening to a "whose on first?" slapstick comedy somehow being oddly fit into the world of WOT.
So bottom line if you want to bring the RJ back into the next book will you tweak the matt character? I hope you'll give use some feed back on this. Or keep the comical Matt. Either way I enjoyed it.

SPOILER ALERT!
 Written just like Jordan, drawing out these inner turmoils until somebody burst in the end.  Rand's struggle, becoming this monster who was basically a stone cold killer and every book that had developed all this love and friend relationships with him seemed to be about to crumble. But then to finally reunite him with his father which set up the emotional conflict was so well done.  The final realization that Rand and Lus make together of the Why question being to love again really hit home. So it was hard to read up to the end of the book with Rands story but the ending totally makes up for all the heartache.  I do wish there would have been a better one liner said by rand when he offed Graendal. Oh and Egwaynes story was so compelling. Awesome edition to the WOT series

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 11:07:13 AM »
Just registered.

I can only say. Great book.
Brings back memories from the first 3 books.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
Just finished it  ;D Overall, I thought Brandon did an amazing job. There were a few things that seemed a little out of place for me (esp. Mat), but most of the time I was just wrapped up in the story. I'm guessing that he didn't spend too much time on the Mat chapters as I noticed a couple of typos, so hopefully Mat will be a little more back to normal in the next book. I thought the Egwene chapters and the Rand chapters were both really well written. The Rand chapters were pretty painful to read and the Egwene chapters were just awesome. I loved the "Brandon avalanche" at the end. It's so great to read a WOT book where stuff actually happens again :) 

Regarding the hands thing, I would guess that it was either accidental, or it just sounded better than "Rand rested his head on his hand and his nub." That would kind of kill the moment.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
Or he fufilled the kingfisher prophecy and has his hand and sight back.... though this is VERY doubtful
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
I personally thought Nynaeve was portrayed the most differently between RJ and Sanderson.  Her opinion of Moraine has always been annoyingly idiotic as in blaming her for everything that happened to the boys and Lan.  I much prefer this portrayal where she wishes Moraine was present.  Sanderson made her far less annoying.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 01:44:29 AM »
it makes me wonder if Brandon thinks balefire destroys souls. I hope not. (Balefire interfears with the method the Dark One uses to resurrect dead Forsaken, but that's specific. It doesn't destroy souls or prevent rebirth.)

Um... that's exactly what it does? By definition it burns one's thread from the Pattern. They disappear completely, utterly, and with finality.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2009, 01:52:32 AM »
it makes me wonder if Brandon thinks balefire destroys souls. I hope not. (Balefire interfears with the method the Dark One uses to resurrect dead Forsaken, but that's specific. It doesn't destroy souls or prevent rebirth.)

Um... that's exactly what it does? By definition it burns one's thread from the Pattern. They disappear completely, utterly, and with finality.

No, someone killed with balefire can reincarnate. 

http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/2_nondark/2.3_one-power/2.3.07_balefire.html

Edit: And Balefire doesn't undo all of your actions, only some, depending on the strength of the Balefire.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:02:24 AM by Aranfan »