Author Topic: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*  (Read 55600 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:48 AM »
Their conversations around each other were much to guarded to me, even at the beginning.
Most of their interactions were likely to be overheard by others, as we never saw them just wandering around the fields shooting the breeze. I think. I'm a fair distance out from EotW.

Besides, all of them were pretty scared and not wanting to show it about the Myrddraal. Acting tough around each other or whatever. They were teenagers, after all. :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:54:31 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
Well, that's all true.  But it went deeper than that.  It was how they thought about each other.  None of it seemed very... friendly.  I think we're both uplaying this example due to it being the chief one I gave, but I merely meant it as part of an overall problem.  Bear in mind I don't think this is as huge a problem as this discussion may be making it seem.  I do love the series, and I absolutely cannot wait for the next two books.  It's just that I think characters in this series are to harsh to each other, and don't talk and share information enough.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »
Agreed. :)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »
Just finished the book!

It was well worth the waiting, hats off for Robert Jordan and Brandon.

PS. Did anyone else notice that Rand seem to have regained he's hand when he sists down ontop of the dragon mount to think? (last page of the chapter)
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 03:32:41 PM »
I see nothing about a hand...

Perhaps you can quote?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
Chapter 49
Last page: 754

"Then he rested his elbows on his knees and his head on his HANDS  stairing at the diminutive statue of the man with the globe."
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
I loved the book. It had a fantastic ending. Overall, I think Brandon did a great job writing the characters. They weren't quite how RJ would have written them, but I enjoyed Brandon's rendition of them. Rand, Elayne, Min, Cadsuane, Egwene, etc... all seemed like the same characters we've been reading for years. The only character that didn't work in this book was Mat. I love his character, but Brandon didn't quite get it right. Mat came across as TRYING to be funny. That's not who Mat is. Mat often makes us laugh by the situations he's in and how he responds to them, but he came across in TGS as trying to be a comedian. The things that Mat did and said in TGS were funny, but they weren't things that Mat would say or do. That's why his character felt "off". It almost seemed like Brandon had taken Topaz (or another funny character from his other books) and tried to apply his personality to Mat. It didn't work.

I've read many people's opinion about the book on these forums and others. Many people have the same feeling I do about Mat's character in TGS. It seems to be the only recurring complaint about the book. How can we make sure Brandon gets this feedback? Hopefully he can address the issue in ToM.

I think Brandon knocked it out of the park with TGS. Mat's story line will be a major part of ToM, so I'm a little worried if Brandon doesn't modify his rendition of Mat. If Brandon can portray Mat a little more accurately I think ToM won't just be a home run, it will be a grand slam.

Thanks Brandon!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:13:01 PM by Vatdoro »

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
"Then he rested his elbows on his knees and his head on his HANDS  stairing at the diminutive statue of the man with the globe."

Wow, I didn't catch that. I'm assuming it was a typo, but we may have to wait a year to find out for sure.

Graendal - I'm pretty sure she's toast. I believe the people who thinks she somehow lived through the book are over-thinking it. I don't think that whole scene was designed just to fool all of us into thinking Rand got her. If she pops up again in the series I will be EXTREMELY surprised.

Rand channeling the TP - I believe Rand was only able to channel the TP because of his connection (merging) with Moridin. Rand seeing the blurry face (Moridin) right before channeling the TP is evidence of this. I don't see any evidence of the DO suddenly giving Rand access to the TP. That doesn't make much sense. Rand and Moridin are merging together as a result of their crossed balefire. I believe this is also the meaning of Min's viewing - "I saw you and another man. I couldn't make out either face, but I knew one was you. You touched, and seemed to merge into one another, and....one of you dies, and one doesn't."

I think Rand having access to the TP (through Moridin) is going to be the key to him defeating the DO. Using his own power against him kind of thing. This idea clicked for me as soon as Rand started channeling the TP. Anyone else get the same vibe?

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
I noticed a difference in Mat, however I think too much is being made of it considering the changes he has gone through during the series. Let's run down some of what we know about him.

He lost parts of his memory because of the taint from the dagger, gets these holes filled with memories from historical military heroes, dies and is reborn, gets the tables turned on him by Tylin and courts and eventually marries Tuon. Reading through the series, Mat's character has changed dramatically through each incident, it's no suprise that marriage would lead to another change.

I don't think I changed much when I got married, but I have a bunch of friends that are night and day different than when they were single. I've known guys that cussed up a storm, farted during normal conversation and peed in sink so they wouldn't miss a NFL play before they got married and now never utter a single 4 letter word or break wind in public. But really, come on guys, have you heard of a DVR?

On top of all the circumstances Mat went through, we don't know what RJ had already written and we don't know where Mat's character arc is supposed to end up so I'm not worried in the least.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 07:43:13 PM »
Quote from: Vatdoro
I don't see any evidence of the DO suddenly giving Rand access to the TP.

As pointed above, the TP is very closely related to the DO himself. It might be his essence even. And it's known to corrupt. Put that together with the fact that in the beginning of the book it didn't seem like Semirhage was going anywhere, and the DO's sadistic sense of mercy, and you can get a picture where the DO decided to free Semirhage and see if she handles Rand "properly". If she did as the DO wanted, he would let her live and serve. If she deviated from his plans, he would let Rand touch the TP, balefiring two birds with one stone (Rand starts walking the path of corruption that ultimately leads to the DO, and Semirhage the disobedient servant is disposed of).

And speaking of Rand and corruption, there is something else I noticed. Is Rand the one that causes the food to go bad? Before, his ta'veren nature would manifest itself in balance - equal quantity of good and bad things of equal quality would happen. But in this book, now that he has access to the TP*, more bad events seem to be occurring when he is around. As if the probability has shifted in a bad direction.

And another note on the corrupting nature of the TP. Did the rooms going slightly darker around Rand result from him embracing this new Source? I am almost positive that this was the case, but often times things one finds obvious are far from logical to his peers.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
Mat tried to be funny? huh? He was worried out the *explictive* about Tuon! Combine that with moving an army and he didn't have the time to be funny... there was no such attempt made! and is the above quote real and if so please refrain from trying to critic anything further b/c the use of critical thinking skills gives reason to believe the DO meant Rand to have access to it....or at the very least a possibility to ignore the possibility is a farce.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 03:42:10 AM »
Kaz, you completely lost me.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 05:27:34 AM »
Vatdoro's quote about the True Power is asinine.... and when someone says something stupid you should say so (& yes that applies to me)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
My impressions:

I felt like I totally lost Rand as a character for a while, with no longer being able to relate to him, but that has been a feeling growing inside me for several books now.  This has nothing to do with Sanderson... it has been a steady progression of me going from feeling a bit like Rand from Eye of the World to not really seeing eye to eye with him.  His last scene, however, fills me with hope.

The True Source incident... I literally jumped out of my seat.  So FREAKING AWESOME how that worked.  But now I want to understand why he was able to use it (not to mention, I want to find out if my guess about Rand using the True Source to seal the Dark One this time around is accurate...).

Verin's scene... interesting, as I've thought before that she seemed like she was up to something, and interesting because she found her own way to try and make amends.  Very good twist, whichever one of our master storytellers conjured that one.

Mat, who has long been a favorite of mine, seemed even better in this book, for some reason.  He was funnier (especially with Talmanes, haha, great stuff... those two had some good scenes in this one!), and I like the 'married man' motif going on there.  I hope his arc with the Tower of Genjei are in the next one!

Speaking of towers... The Tower Stands!

Only thing I would have liked to see in here that we didn't really get is I want to know what's going on with Taim.  And I'm starting to wonder if we're going to be rid of Fain by the time the series is over as well.  He's really seemed to be a chaos factor this whole time... what if he doesn't get destroyed?
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »
Oh, something I just thought of. Or recalled rather.

Egwene's speech from the last (?) chapter felt a little out of character for her I think. I am by no means an expert, but to me it felt like the speech was coming from somebody far more forceful, willful, even manful than Egwene. I realize her words were supposed to be as I describe them - forceful, willful - but I think it was too much of those things.

It might be just me, of course. But I think words like this would come from someone like Mat, when he gets carried away by his instinctual memories (e.g. when he came up with a battle plan against Shaido in minutes, while Lan & co. too hours).