Author Topic: The Return of Bruno  (Read 11500 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
The Return of Bruno
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:14:46 PM »
ok, I was laid off a couple weeks ago. I've been through several gallons of Häagen-Dazs and cried sufficiently that I'm more or less over it. And I've put in several hundred resumes (ok, several dozen, but still) and that's getting pretty tedious. I'm pretty much moved beyond the other things that were keeping me busy in all my spare time (read: "I have escaped the succulent embrace of MMOs") and I need something productive to do that will throw me into some relief of my boredom. There are a few things this will consist of:

1) regular novel writing (you won't get to see this!)
2) revivification of The Fantastic Plastic Men
and... I wonder if anyone is interested in 3

3 is the renewal of TWG as more than a host site for author's forums. I am not in anyway suggesting that we will do anything at all to harm Sanderson's (or anyone else's) author sections. What I am suggesting is that we restart the regular features on the front page -- what this site used to be all about.

There are problems with that, however. First and foremost being that I no longer get any free stuff. Well, Loony Labs does. And I actually owe them two reviews. Soonish, so I can get a copy of Chrononauts without feeling guilty. I would need to branch into other areas. more on that below.

Secondly, this site NEVER worked when only one person was writing all the content. I will need volunteers who will be able to promise regular contributions. If I don't get enough, I won't try putting the effort back in as Editor (a title I still hold administratively and claim on my resumes).

So, what could you volunteer to do? I'm glad you asked!

• One of our most popular features, after the EUOLogies, was the Guide to being a Geek Girl. I'm not suggesting trying to take this over. After all, if MsFish wants it, I'm ecstatic to let her have it back. It'd be awesome. But you can become a columnist! something about sf, fantasy, horror, supers, games (video, card, rpg, or whatever). I believe we'd post these as "blogs" now, but same diff.
  • Reviews. Traditionally, video games and RPGs were our strongest draws. We had a really solid tradition of web comics for a while, and more recently, an excellent stream of movies. Book reviews got big too. We never had a lot of music, but I don't see why. Honestly, if it's related to entertainment, particularly entertainment of a geeky nature, we want it. Want to review a web site? That's what the Tower of Cheapness was for!
  • Commentary. Something of a nerdly persuasion that you need to point out? Well, we have a tradition of that too. I wrote a number of articles that were about idiosyncrasies of roleplaying that weren't part of a regular column. We do those too. And they can be on music, movies, games, whatever.
  • Amateur writer without aspirations to go pro? Have an idea for a web comic? If you're good, we'll run your short story or serial as a feature. Just remember that this site grew out of a literary magazine. In terms of fiction, we can be snobby. But I'm willing to consider it.

So, let me know. Who would be interested in a relaunch of this site? We won't destroy anything, we'll just start adding non-forum content again.  But only if ya'll are gonna read it and help us produce it.

Let me know!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: The Return of Bruno
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »
while i would love to be able to volunteer and contribute, I unfortunately do not have A) time, between work and i'm getting ready to go back to college soon, B) writing skills, unfortunately, while i love reading, writing and creativity is very much so a weak spot for me, and C) i couldn't think of a reason C, but it seemed silly to use this format if i didnt have at least 3, so i'll leave C with...uh....racecar.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »
I'd love to be involved. I can A) write semi-coherently about B) a range of topics and C) racecar. Also, I have D) time.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:02 PM »
I've also already got my sister to vaguely commit. Or perhaps I had her committed. I can't remember. Either way, three of us is a good start.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:40 AM »
I would also love to be involved, even if it's just little contributions with reviews or whatever. Or something more....I'm a decent writer and have plenty of time. I could also use some more productive activities, but...yeah. You don't need to know about my time-wasting skills. :P
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
I would totally be willing to contribute. I'd love to be a regular columnist, in fact. If you lock me in a schedule (ie: weekly) I can completely make those deadlines. Deadlines stop me from being lazy.

I don't know what I'd write a column on, but what I currently do on my blog is talk about my adventures writing my newest novel. You probably aren't interested in blathering like that, SE, but hey, if you are, here's some of my random rambling rants*: www.ericlake.net

(*Not as random as they used to be!)

And of course, I'll do reviews, but I don't consume as much media anymore.

I'll think about something neat and get back to you, SE.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23:47 AM »
I'll check it tomorrow.  Gonna try to write myself in my remaining conscious time tonight.  But yeah, get me a solid idea and we'll get you set up.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:24:16 AM »
I can start it off with a review of WtWTA, which I just caught a matinee of.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
do it and submit through the regular channel on the front page.
we have a few reviews in there from like, 6 months ago. I'm wondering if we should run them.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »
I'm still willing to do occasional reviews.  Palladium still sends Fell stuff so I know there's a few books around to review.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 06:34:24 AM »
I have a friend who expressed interest in running a column.  I think the subject was either going to be creating an RPG or GMing one.  He's busy in law school right now, so he wants to wait until Summer.

I'd be potentially interested in writing a column.

...I don't suppose you'd be up for a column on HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), would you?  (That's been my big hobby lately).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
write me a sample column and I'll let you know if I think it will fit. Your friend's column sounds good.

Fell thinks he'll be writing some occasional content, so I think we might have enough. I just need to figure out what I'm going to  be doing and organize myself so I can be sure we'll be updating. Then we're good to go.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
Look's like a new Order of the Stick book comes out on October 26th, or at least preorders. I'll review it when it comes out.

I'm still fermenting a good idea for my column. A few more days, I think, and I will have a breakthrough. Probably.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 02:07:45 AM »
ok, here's the thing. It's been a week. I have three people telling me they can provide occasional stuff, and one person thinking of a column subject. I don't think that's enough. I have no idea for what to do a column on. I can't buy comics enough to do Page 33 anymore. ... so... I'm not sure what I have to work on.

I mean, I could do serial fiction, but I can't promise it'll be any good.
There's the TW(i)G project. If there's anyone interested in that I could develop it further, if I had a clue on what direction people wanted.

So... uh... i'm still up for being the editor, but I don't have the resources to write content more than once every other week if it's game or movie related. Maybe if we got Jeffe back we could do a podcast. I still watch bad movies.

If people really want fiction, I have an idea for a radio play style podcast.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
I was going to throw down that review, but schoolwork and the Storm (and water damage, and the fans that are drying out the wet areas at the expense of my ears and sanity) hit in full force. I can still review it if you'd like.

Should we add content warnings? I really like Steve's book review site's format when it comes to objectionable content overview.

Chaos, you could do a college-related column with a math/science focus. I don't know what kind of direction is desired overall for the site though. If you just took things you think about and apply the idea into a larger setting than college, the audience would probably increase. Then again, some people like reading about college after they've left.

You could both write about a character that goes through similar things as you do. Fictionalized interpretations of your own lives, as 'twere. I don't know. These fans.... *headasplode*