Author Topic: Is there a market for an all Sci-Fi bookstore?  (Read 2076 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Is there a market for an all Sci-Fi bookstore?
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:29 AM »
Yeah i know that the TWG community would be all for one, but please refrain from commenting if you aren't associated with the book industry or somehow in the know.
     I was thinking of, after i graduate, opening a bookstore that sold primarily used books, most being rare and/or out of print, I would of course have a display for new MAJOR releases, and possibly a small case of limited edition materials... the leatherbound releases ect. also in that display case would be signed copies. Well is there a significant market, in a metropolitan area, to make a decent profit?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a market for an all Sci-Fi bookstore?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »
from my own store ownership experience (not books) I can positively say that it is very difficult for new, niche market businesses to start up, and especially, to survive. a Brick and Mortar store is no longer a good situation for niche materials, regardless of the medium. Online and ebay are clearly the way to go unless you are dealing with items so expensive, you can pay all your overhead from just one sale.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:59 AM »
Yes, the question is, why limit yourself to just that little bit?

Now, if you combined Spec Fic. in a bookstore combined with a game store, that might possibly work out...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »
Ew. I don't think so.  The "SciFi" fans that would want scifi only are not readers.  Most people who read speculative fiction, are readers and have some breadth to their taste.  That's just an opinion, no studies behind it.  I wouldn't trade with a store that only sold specufic, anymore than I would a store that only carried travel-guides.  Over specialization is as much a mind killer as being too broad, or being under-stocked.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.