Author Topic: Mistborn: The Soundtrack (Forum Game)  (Read 2552 times)

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
Mistborn: The Soundtrack (Forum Game)
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:28 AM »
RULES:

1) Every post you make in this topic must either nominate a song to be the "theme" of a character or scene in the Mistborn Trilogy, or challenge a previous nomination.

2) There are no restrictions on music genre. If you think a certain hardstyle techno song really fits Yeden, then go for it.

3) Song nominations will be added to the Unoffical Soundtrack Songlist below. Only one song can occupy a subject at a time (i.e. there cannot be two "Theme of Vin" choices).

4) If you wish to challenge a nomination on the Songlist, provide a counter-nomination and get two members to "ratify" it. Thereafter, it will occupy its respective subject until it is challenged.

5) Song nominations made for subjects that are not yet on the Songlist do not require ratification.

I've added a handful of songs to the list already. Now have at it!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:19:52 AM by TPaS »

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: The Soundtrack (Forum Game)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »
I know there was a topic about this once upon a time, but after I didn't see it in the first few pages, I thought I'd create a new one.  Necro-posting is bad, after all.

I've found a few songs that remind me of particular scenes of Sanderson books (all of them, in my case, are Mistborn related, but I think that speaks more to my music tastes than anything else).  So here's what we do... we list the book, the song, and then the scene the song reminds us of (or not, if it's just the book or characters in general).

The most glaring one for me is: (SPOILERS!  READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ MISTBORN 3!)

Mistborn: Hero of Ages, Welcome to the End by Celldweller - the scene this reminds me of is the end, when Vin is confronting Ruin, the atium Mistings are losing, and Elend is dying at the hands of Marsh.  Song link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFoyf59X-g

Mistborn: The Final Empire, Distraction by Apocalyptica - Kelsier's fight with the Inquisitor near the end.  Song link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVAExuB7tk

I had others, but I'm out at the moment.

Post yours!

Oddly enough, Vienna Teng's Feather Moon always makes me think of the Mistborn books in general - later in the series especially. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17wgj7fZgI 

You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »
Added.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:45:00 AM »
Vin racing to Luthadel with the Inquisitors mobilizing and chasing after her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzVps2JYzw
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:13:22 AM »
Added.

Also added my pick for Ruin's theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaUYcwEpSw
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:19:25 AM by TPaS »

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
I saw this as being the Kelsier versus Inquisitor fight and then carrying into his death at the hands of the Lord Ruler. It might fit somewhere else though. it's a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QTvgMzE4o
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:06 AM »
We already have Kelsier vs. Bendal, unfortunately. Would you like to challenge it, or just nominate that under "Rashek Kills Kelsier?"

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:08:34 AM »
What the heck, let's go for a challenge.  i thought it worked really well for this scene because u get the chaos of the battle and the inquisitor's killing everyone. then the awe of kelsier fighting and holding his own against what was thought was an immortal. the panic as the Lord Ruler arrives, awe again as Kelsier gives his speech and defies Rashek... and then sadness.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:44 AM »
but, honestly, i just think mistborn deserves its own original soundtrack.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:32:01 AM »
I second Plasman's nomination. That Lady in the Water song fits perfect with that whole scene.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »
What the heck, let's go for a challenge.  i thought it worked really well for this scene because u get the chaos of the battle and the inquisitor's killing everyone. then the awe of kelsier fighting and holding his own against what was thought was an immortal. the panic as the Lord Ruler arrives, awe again as Kelsier gives his speech and defies Rashek... and then sadness.

I'd like to defend my selection then by saying that in my opinion, the music of the Mistborn universe needs to be quite dark and needs to have edge, something that I believe my nomination holds over yours.  Your selection is very good, but I just don't get the right vibes for a battle in Mistborn from it.  I could see it working beautifully for Elantris or Warbreaker though.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Candor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
I think that Wolfstar's song selection is better for Kelsier vs. Bendal.  The Lady in the Water song is good, but it just doesn't feel right to me for the scene, personally.

And just throwing this out there, but when I listen to "The End is the Beginning is the End" by Smashing Pumpkins it reminds me so much of Mistborn in general.  I know there's already an all over theme for Mistborn (and I love it, btw), but this song is just awesome.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »
I think that Wolfstar's song selection is better for Kelsier vs. Bendal.  The Lady in the Water song is good, but it just doesn't feel right to me for the scene, personally.

And just throwing this out there, but when I listen to "The End is the Beginning is the End" by Smashing Pumpkins it reminds me so much of Mistborn in general.  I know there's already an all over theme for Mistborn (and I love it, btw), but this song is just awesome.

What about using that for the release of Ruin and the events at the WoA?

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
I think the Lady in the Water song is great, just not for that scene. I like the other one, it just seems better because its so hardcore, maybe? I don't know. I think it's great for WOA when ruin is realized, absolutely!
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY