Author Topic: Oct 12 - Bravesamwise - Four Points of View (Writing Prompt)  (Read 1797 times)

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Oct 12 - Bravesamwise - Four Points of View (Writing Prompt)
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:57 AM »
Woot!

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Re: Oct 12 - Bravesamwise - Four Points of View (Writing Prompt)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
I really liked this piece.  I would have liked it to be a little longer, and see where it went, but I thought it was pretty great for what it was, especially the fish part.  I'm very glad that Sheen didn't get heroned <grin>.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
Much of this is probably due to the shortness of the submission, but I found it hard to get a feeling for the setting. Fishing, to me, suggests people with fishing rods. An apprentice suggests fantasy (because they aren't on a trawler), whereas the clock you mention doesn't realy fit in with the fantasy world.

I also thought the boy read as if he were older than nine.

On the upside, you made something as banal as fishing seem interesting and even somewhat exciting when the boy flounders (pun intended) through the river. The middle two POVs are a bit weaker, mostly because their connection to the first one isn't readily apparent (they concern themselves with a minor detail in the first POV, not with something prominent), but you end strongly with the fish, which was unexpected and strange, but could easily have gone on for a few more pages.

By the way, no need to resort to footnotes. The text was clear enough by itself, and wasn't nearly as weak and unclear as it would have had to be for a footnote to be necessary. Quite the opposite.

Now, enough with these writing prompts. Give me the first chapter of a novel about a claustrophobic fish living underground!

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 01:44:31 AM »
I've got family visiting this week, so look for a critique from me next week. :)
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:27 AM »
Funny you should mention - I'm getting my novel ready for Nanowrimo, so while I work on worldbuilding and story structure, I'm keeping myself fresh with writing prompts in the mean time ^^ Look forward to a first chapter submission for that soon.  ;D

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:15:47 AM »
Thoughts While Reading:
Dago was bored.
I would rethink that as a hook. You're telling me I am going to be bored reading this section, and I don't like being bored. :(

The tourist/traveler said something to Elder Taor, which distracted Dago
You could show this easily... and that is just one example. Not a lot of showing in these sections :(

Footnote is not necessary and kills the illusion.

Overall impression:
Well... it read like a writing prompt. The fish was probably my favorite one and the old man just confused me....I wouldn't expect it to be part of a story because it was choppy and some of the povs were unnecessary, but since that was the goal, I guess that is the way it has to be.... You could work on showing more though.

Sorry, but I think you filled your quota on prompts. Keep writing them if they help you, but unless they build to something with story potential I don't know how helpful it will be for us to continue to critique them. I'll look forward to seeing your Nano story. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:14:00 PM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
MMm... I'll continue writing prompts because they help me practice. Besides, I still am trying to fix certain bad habits, like not showing things, or repeating myself. Transparent prose seems difficult to me too, I sense a bit of Douglas Adamsness coming out when I write.

Like I already promised though the first few chapters will be on their way soon but I'm still working on outlining the story and I'm just focused on getting the story to write by November, and in the mean time, prompts are keeping me from getting rusty. No such thing as a quota on practice.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »
Sorry, but I think you missed the point of my post.
Exhibit A:

Sorry, but I think you filled your quota on prompts. Keep writing them if they help you, but unless they build to something with story potential I don't know how helpful it will be for us to continue to critique them.
I was not suggesting that you stop practicing and doing prompts. Do them 24 hrs for the rest of your life if you want to. The sole quota I was talking about was in terms of submitting something for a critique. Write them, just wait to show them until you have something you see story potential in, than I can see our comments being more helpful. At least that is my opinion.

Carry on. :)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
It's useful to me. =)

And November is close enough.