Poll

Would you be willing to read and critique a fanfic?

Yes
3 (50%)
No
2 (33.3%)
We'll see how it goes
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 1373 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Quick question
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:48:57 AM »
I am currently working on a fanfic, and I was wondering if you of RE would be willing to accept it as my submission each week.

I normally wouldn't request this of my ffs, but the thing is I'm using this as a testing ground.  I wanted to work with characters who already have a background, and are fleshed out so that I don't have to worry about working that out (I never seem to have a problem in that end.)  Instead, I'm wanting to focus on the things I've been told I struggle with -- including conflict and giving concreate discriptions.  (I also figured it'd be a lot shorter then a full novel.  I don't want to get into one of those until AFTER November.  Nanowrimo takes too much effort and I don't want to abandon a project half way since I'll probably never get back to it if I do.)

I proably wouldn't really start submitting until after then anyways, but I wanted to know ahead of time.

Just a basic head up (in case it'd sway your vote), the fic is based around Labyrinth (and, no, that shouldn't surprise any of you.  :P), and involves Jareth as the mc, Sarah as a vp char, and then an o/c who I've tried to make sure is well fleshed out.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:30:17 AM »
Hmm. I've never even *heard* of this "Labyrinth", so I suppose I'd give it a shot. My main exposure to fanfic has been through video game mods, since I tend to avoid the written kind, but I suppose it can't be all bad.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »
I don't really see why not. I would, of course, be critiquing it as stand-alone fiction, having never seen the movie.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
Wait, WHAT?!  You speak blaphomies!  It's a CLASSIC!  David Bowie, Jennifer Connelly, Jim Henson, and just pure awesomeness all around.  (and if you don't want to pay it's on youtube.  But it's worth paying for.)

Just be prepaired for 80's cheese... I guess...
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:51:30 AM »
Do I really want to see David Bowie in a movie? My sources say no.  8)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »
He's a lot better of an actor then you might think.  I've had quite a few people (friends and not) who have seen him (in other things, such as the prestige) and been impressed with his skills.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
I don't watch a lot of movies. I won't say never, because that wouldn't be true, but the screen as a medium tends to not interest me too much.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
I've seen the movie rainbow! And yes I would critique a fan fic in a heartbeat... you know, w/e I get back to critiquing in general. I know as a group we try to give constructive criticsim even to things we may not pick up on a shelf, so if the excerise is to help you than I think it would be more than appropriate. :D
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.