Poll

Which author is the most overated in the genre?

J.K. Rowling
J. R. R. Tolkien (choose this and Gollum will eat you)
Robert Jordan (LIES!!!)
Terry Goodkind
Orson Scott Card
Terry Brooks

Author Topic: Authors undeserving of their fame.....possibly  (Read 13737 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Authors undeserving of their fame.....possibly
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
you know, I had thought of picking up some of his works, now though, I wont. Does not help his cause that I thought "Legend of the Seeker" was awful. (Although a friend who turned me on to the Malazan series loves Legend. Go figure.)
I am currently looking for more books to read. Just finished Warbreaker and the Orson Scott Card twin Ender series'. Those books (including Warbreaker) did not take me nearly as long as I thought they would. Powered through all 9 books in about 10 days (with 3 days off in the middle).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
Thank you for mentioning the most over-rated (not worst) series in Sci-Fi!!!! (as mentioned before i refuse to recognize Meyer as an author and as such Twilight is not a series).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »
So, after all of my badmouthing of Terry Brooks (not to this person, thankfully), one of my friends excitedly showed me a picture of her meeting Brooks. Congratulations on meeting him! I'm not going to say anything about how much I hate his work!
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
The interview I read from him said, "I can't remember the last time I read a novel." Okay, so he's dyslexic, but come on... Don't claim your stuff is original when all you have is the belief that it is.

Because wow, if that were the case, I could totally sell my first book. Plenty of me believing it was original in there!

This is my main problem. It's like a writing group I went to, and I asked "So what does everyone read and get their influences from?" And people said they only read Dragonlance, or one guy said he hadn't read a novel in years--just books on writing. Understand the genre people. Understand the genre.

Which is why I like your review site so much, Steve. I need to read more, and you give a mountain of suggestions. I love it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
Yeah, between Nick and I, we have read a book or 2. We read the bad ones so you don't have to.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
I am not surprised that alot of them are athiests/agnostics, since, like you said, most religions think it is blasphemy when an author gets into magic and the like, and also, it makes sense that there would be more Mormons if they are more accepting of those types of books.

I was not using statistics for my find, more like: 5th author in a row thatI have read that was Mormon. I just thought that was odd. Especially sinces Mormons are a small percentage of the population, that we would find such a large percentage in the SF/fantasy writing field. Especially with more recent authors, not so much with older works.

There are a few potential reasons for this:

1.  Mormons tend to have more exposure in all respectable fields than they exist as a population.  Compare the number of Mormons who are doctors, lawyers, politicians, teachers, etc., and you'll always have higher percentages than their population base.

2.  For quite some time now (perhaps over 20 years) a course on Writing Science Fiction/Fantasy has been taught at BYU, encouraging Latter-day Saints which attend that university to explore the genre.  Generally, this course has been taught by published LDS Spec. Fic. authors (like Dave Wolverton and Brandon Sanderson).

3.  The Leading Edge is one of the better small-press Spec. Fic. magazines out there, and it's headquartered at BYU.  This gives many Latter-day Saints hands-on experience in getting involved with Sci-Fi/Fantasy publication, as well as providing a fairly natural place for them to submit their work to try to start their careers in the genre.

4.  LDS folks are much more likely to be multi-lingual than the average American, and this always helps with Fantasy.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
Darn it someone broke the Rowling Card tie... :(
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »
I personally thought Eragon was pretty decent. Yes, unorginal, but since it was written by a 15 year old, I'm willing to put that aside. It was an entertaining read. The other two however. You'd think he'd get better as he got older. You'd think he'd get more original. But no. No, he doesn't. If anything, he gets worse. That's saying something...

I agree with this. The biggest problem with Eragon is that someone published it (which is entirely not the kid's fault). I would never show my face to the world if someone published my first book.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 05:45:07 AM »
Are you kidding? I tip my hat off to all the multi-millonares i meet... no matter if they have just an organized set up for stealing your lunch money! Green is green!!!

Yay Card and Rowling are tied again!!!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »
Sorry, I just voted for Card.

Card, to me, is very uneven.  He has moments of sheer brilliance, but his series always seem to fizzle out.  Perhaps he should just write stand-alones.

Totally agree about his series, although I do think the Ender series is quite good. But the rest stink.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 02:45:12 AM »
No need to apoligize you are after all agreeing with me.... otherwise yes you should apoligize

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 07:50:52 AM »
Card, to me, is very uneven.  He has moments of sheer brilliance, but his series always seem to fizzle out.  Perhaps he should just write stand-alones.

That is exactly the same reason I voted for Card.

Loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, couldn't do any other book in that series.

Plus I tried some of his others, parts were amazing, but the rest were just crappy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 10:35:30 AM »
I had to vote for Rowling, for a couple of reasons.

1) Every other one of the authors I've read has given me ideas. Maybe their books weren't the best on the planet, but they at least kept me (mostly) intrigued. Sure, every series has its ups and downs (Goodkind and Jordan both kinda seemed to get lost in the miasma of plot they had, for example), but Rowling... I find it hard to call that literature. Flat characters against a drab environment with very little development at all. There was nothing there to "borrow" for my own writing at all, or even give me pointers into how to write better. And no, I don't consider looking at her writing and knowing what not to do as all that valuable.

2) I've never put down a book other than hers in my entire reading existence. I even read all of Goodkind's series, even though there were parts where it got a little tough. Unless a novel is really good, I just consider it a light read, look for things I can twist and use in my own writing, and move on. Rowling, on the other hand, got way too boring. I knew what was going to happen throughout each book, and finally just gave up. It's sad, really, that so many people cut their teeth on that drivel.

That said, holy Toledo, people seem to hate Twilight! I'm glad I haven't even bothered to pick it up. And I totally agree with everyone's impression of Eragon. Completely unoriginal. Even I have more sense than to rip off Star Wars, Pern, and Tolkien and shove it all into a book without changing much of anything. I probably would have voted for Paolini if he was an option.
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
If Meyers was on the poll 100% of us non-newbs would have voted for her but that would mean we recognized her as an author.... which i refuse to do

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
If Meyers was on the poll 100% of us non-newbs would have voted for her but that would mean we recognized her as an author.... which i refuse to do

Yeah, and wilson would have your head, too.

Though if both Paolini and Meyers were on there, I might have to think about it a bit...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.