Author Topic: Creative Ways to Kill a Character  (Read 10086 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Creative Ways to Kill a Character
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
Hmm... Does anyone know of a compilation of interesting ways to kill off one of your characters?  If nobody has a link handy, we should start one of our own :)
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Ways to Kill a Character
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »
Do you mean the actual death itself, or the reason behind the death?
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:25:56 AM »
I know that one of my friend's favorites was having people fall into extra-big lottery number tumblers filled with razor blades. Apparently, that's how people store them (the razor blades and the tumblers) when they aren't in use. When multiple characters in a book die this way, one would expect other characters to get quite unhinged, but I'm told that it's a fairly mundane cause of death nowadays. ;)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »
That is a very creative way of doing in a character, and creative is what I want.  Hmmm... what are some other creative ways?

Perhaps locking a character in a room filled with starving cats.  Only he doesn't know that they haven't been fed in days.  And then when he falls asleep...
~T.S. Eliot

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:25:38 AM »
Powdered glass in their food.  Read that one once... more creative than poison, certainly.
Caught in a stampede while on a free Safari trip.
Ate a carnivorous plant's seed which then took root in the intestines.
Bored to death.
An enemy modified a laser pointer and shone it in their eyes, thus frying the brain.

I'm sure I'll come up with more.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »
You could use the tried-and-true Wave-O-Babies. :P

Sandblasting to death hasn't been overused yet.

Tip your hat to a gangster by having a character accidentally encased in carbonite concrete.

Remove each of their bones until their organs collapse.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »
Nine inch nails hammered through the rectum pinning them to a wall.  Left until they either die from blood loss or infection.
~T.S. Eliot

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:08:36 AM »
That sounds even more awesome if you're talking about the band.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »
I watched one episode of "The Hunger" (weird series, but I'm a HUGE DB fan, so I watched it.) and the guy was an artist who numbed himself, then cut off his legs and one of his arms and then bleed to death.  It was supposed to be a "living for my art/pushing the boundries" type thing, and made a lot more sense in the episode, but it wasn't something that you see done every day.

I think an intresting way (that I might end up using just for the heck of it) is to have a character be drugged/spelled into being insane for a short amount of time, then while under this influnce convince them they have a split personality or are skitzo.  Then have the drugged/spelled character kill themselves in an effort to kill the other one (except, they think that they are killing the other.  So the thought process "if I kill myself they'll leave" never crosses their mind.  They really do think the other person is someone else and they are killing the other person, but instead are killing themselves.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
I think an intresting way (that I might end up using just for the heck of it) is to have a character be drugged/spelled into being insane for a short amount of time, then while under this influnce convince them they have a split personality or are skitzo.  Then have the drugged/spelled character kill themselves in an effort to kill the other one (except, they think that they are killing the other.  So the thought process "if I kill myself they'll leave" never crosses their mind.  They really do think the other person is someone else and they are killing the other person, but instead are killing themselves.)

Okay, that one kinda gives me a headache.  Speaking of headaches, what about a torture scene where they've put the character's head in a vice grip that slowly tightens, only the character is tough, and doesn't quite talk in time. . .
~T.S. Eliot

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
Put them in a tub of water and let them soak. Watch as all of their cells over-saturate one by one. This could take a while.

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »
I got one. Its called the burning. you hang someone by their wrists. Get a blowtorch, and slowly, over months, if not years,burn off miniscule amounts of flesh and bone, working your way up from the feet to the torso

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:45:21 AM »
Yay for necro!  And on such an appropriate topic.

What about a few drops of acid in the ear while the person's head is strapped to a plank?  Might take awhile, depending on the acidity. 
~T.S. Eliot

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
OOh! Use lye, so their head basically collapseson itself from the newfound lack of graymatter!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »
For the slow and fatal torture method, strap their arms to an object above them that rotates at about 1 degree per hour, and strap their legs to the ground. If they survive the loss of limbs, repeat this, attaching them closer to their midsection on the failed areas. So, if they lost their arms at the shoulders, either the head or upper torso is mounted to the rotator.

Better yet, just start with the head, but have it be super slow (1 degree/day). Be sure to explain and demonstrate before beginning "treatment". Also, keep them well fed!

Umm, I'm pretty sure that we're all on some watch list somewhere now if we weren't before.