Author Topic: Alcatraz 3 *spoilers* (maybe)  (Read 6309 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Alcatraz 3 *spoilers* (maybe)
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:23:32 AM »
great book! very funny and clever, as always.  best line had to be when alcatraz commented on there being towers on every building and "seizing the throne".  Folsom's Talent was awesome. i can totally seem him surrounded by a whole bunch of Librarians, then putting on headphones and just taking them all out. so cool.  i'll be interested to see where the whole Lybrarian thing goes.  any guesses on who Alcatraz supposedly murders? my guess is Attica.

And is it weird that i was able to read the whole "frustrating part" in chapter 14 without any trouble at all?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Alcatraz 3 *spoilers* (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
*** Note: This post is chock full of spoilers. If you do not desire spoilers, do not read this post. ***

No. I read it perfectly too. My little sister really struggled with it, though, and I had to translate it for her. So I guess if it's weird, then I'm weird too.

I loved the book, as always. I don't know that I can choose a best line. I'm already trying to figure out if it's possible to work the line about "If the knights cut you off from their rock, you get exiled from their giant glass mushroom" into a conversation at all, let alone without looking like an idiot.

Who Alcatraz murders? Attica makes sense. After all, Attica is supposedly trying to give everyone Smedry Talents, which Alcatraz knows from the tomb is not a good idea. My guess would be that Alcatraz tries to stop him from whatever he's doing, and in so doing accidentally kills Attica.

My favorite part of the book was when Alcatraz marries Folsom to Himalaya, and she starts kicking the crap out of the Librarians. That was the one part of the book that I couldn't figure out before it actually happened, and was all the more awesome for it.

*** End Spoilers ***

For those of you avoiding spoilers, the book is great, go read it. 
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
**spoilers as well**

The book was amzing, as usual. I though had trouble reading chapter 14. One of my favorite parts had to be when Al and his mother see each other. Also when he see's her lying about him, that I thought was cool. The one problem I have is I can't imagine Shasta acting as she is to write the letter that she left at the end of book 2. Even worse I can't imagine Attica wrting the note he left on the packege in book 1. He acted through out the book like he didn't care what was going on with the war..that bugged me.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »
Another awesome entry in the Alcatraz series.   :)

I think my favorite bit had to be the joke:

"Why did the librarian slip and fall down?

Because she was looking through the library's nonfriction section."

Don't know why, but that bit cracked me up for a good 20 minutes.  ;D

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:37 AM »
i don't know about 20 minutes, but i agree, that was a good line :)
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »
Amazon could use some reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/043992555X
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
I would, but alas, I do not have the ability to post reviews on amazon...

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »
same here...wish i did
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:23:48 AM »
And why is that? Do you not have an amazon account?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:31:42 AM »
I believe that Amazon doesn't let u write a review unless u have purchased at least one book from them

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:35 AM »
That is correct.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
Hmmm... That's interesting. I never knew that.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »
I'll post a review when I get a chance. 'Twill be my first Amazon review.

It's funny. Brandon wrote Book 4 as a break from the WoT, and I read book 3 as a break from my WoT reread. (Ok, it wasn't *that* funny. I mean, I laughed. A little.)

This book took much longer to gain steam than the others (keeping in mind of course how very short they all are). After the explosion, things slowed way the heck down and didn't pick up again until the very end. The climax was far more satisfying, though. The line "I was a Smedry" had me laughing with glee as I realized what he was about to do.

For a while I thought Grandpa Smedry would turn out to be evil. I really didn't want him to, and I'm glad he didn't. He's my favorite character, by far. I mean, he's two parts Dr. Emmit Brown and one part Dumbledore, for crying out loud. I had Sir Leno pegged from his second appearance, though.

I don't really have a favorite line, but one of my favorite things was the Silimatic pig and all of the jokes it created. So classic.

Lastly, will there really be a book 5, or was that just Alcatraz being a tease?
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »
that's what i want to know too.  i think brandon is contracted for four, and a fifth book is a possibility if scholastic thinks its a good idea. so we need to do what Alcatraz says and buy his books!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
I was actually thinking the other day that it's entirely possible that we'll never actually see the scene where Alcatraz is tied to an altar (supposedly in book 5). I mean, I can totally see him at the end of the series being like, "Yeah, remember that line I started book 1 with? Yeah, that never actually happened." Or even having it happen in a chapter break or something like that. It would fit Alcatraz's sense of humor so far.

It would also have a bunch of unhappy readers, though.