Author Topic: Sept. 21 - westwriter- Heroes of the Necrowar- ch. 5  (Read 1284 times)

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
Sept. 21 - westwriter- Heroes of the Necrowar- ch. 5
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:30:49 AM »
Had to rewrite this chapter because I'm taking the story in a different direction.  Thanks for your observations and extremely harsh criticism...
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: Sept. 21 - westwriter- Heroes of the Necrowar- ch. 5
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
Impressions while reading:

Your first paragraph rocks!  Bravo!  I am hooked, more than hooked, glued to the page.

Some grammar mistakes, but nothing that can't be cleaned up in post.

Er... the constables know the pods will only last thirty minutes, and yet they are playing catch with the monsters... are they retarded or just completely irresponsible?  The catch scene is cool, and it can stay I guess, but you need to show the constables buckling down or something, realizing that the situation is more grim than they first supposed.

Dezkin crawled away from the twitching creature.  "They're called thralls.  Haldor raises soldiers from the dead and transforms them into those clawed things.  They're fragile, but I don't think they can be killed.  Their only purpose is to poison people with their bite  .Those things with the horns on their snouts are called vorns."

Okay, this is a really long and detailed explanation for the middle of a battle.  I would expect something more along the lines of "They're called thralls!  They poison people!"  At the very least, throw in a few exclamation points.  Shouting is appropriate when attacked by the undead.   You can quote me on that.

He stomped his foot and shook the ground, knocking Abby and Dezkin onto their backs.  Suddenly the forest came alive with thralls and vorns. 

This makes it sound like the monsters come from the forest, but then you say that he threw them back towards the town from where they came.  It's not clear what's going on.

Boy was he wrong.

Okay, what does this mean?

Alright, here's my critique:

I loved your descriptions.  I saw the battle in my head, and only a few minor things drew me out of the story as I noted above.  The battle makes much more sense now, and I feel the emotion and the power of what's going on.  Well done.  Other than what I noted above, my one and only critique is this: it's too short.  Well, not too short necessarily; I guess what I mean is that your ending isn't really an ending.  It feels like there should be more to the chapter.  There needs to be some sort of closure, or some sort of cliffhanger.  Here, we have Will walking around a building looking for his dad, and that's it.  It's a great chapter, it just needs finishing.

Again, very well done, a huge improvement over the first draft.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I will probably change the last sentence just a little to give a hint of what he sees.  That will lead to the rest of the battle and cleanup in the next chapter.  that's where Will's real journey will begin.
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:12:51 AM »
Realized that I haven't actually seen Greg around TWG for months, probably, but not until after the fact. So posting this anyway...

The line "it's a good day for crushing skulls" (one of the constables says it), while good for comedic value, seems a ilttle bit out of character, I guess. I know it's a throwaway line for a throwaway character, but it makes your constables sound like violent warmongers. Unless, of course, making them violent warmongers is a side effect of taking the combat pods. Now THAT would be interesting...

While I happen to think that the effect of the Defender pod is pretty cool, it bugs me a little bit that oh no, here's this Thrall running towards him, uhoh, and as a defense he just so HAPPENS to have this magic pod in his pants pocket 'cuz he grabbed the wrong colour earlier. Sure, it's an easily understandable mistake, but it's the sort of coincidence that tends to be noticeable in fiction. It should be pretty easy to fix, though. Maybe he runs out of darkvision pods in one of the earlier sequence because he realizes too late that he brought the wrong kind of pod. Or maybe he even just thinks to himself that he'll have to ration his darkvision pods because he has one less than he thought he did, or something. That way it at least suggests to the reader that you put some thought into it, and they don't think you're trying to save the day by pulling a magic bean out of your pocket.

I don't have much else to add, except to echo Cynic's comments--for the most part. I don't think that the chapter would suffer from a little more at the ending, necessarily, but it didn't strike me as particularly incomplete either.

That's about all I have at the moment. Sorry for the slightly skimpy critique.