Author Topic: Storm Leaders  (Read 9086 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Leaders
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 04:57:18 AM »
Address and what kind :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 05:05:56 AM »
Thanks Jason! I probably should have mentioned that I broke the rules while on my LDS mission in order to read A Crown of Swords the day it came out and that a friend and I went to four different stores after midnight for Knife of Dreams only to find out none of the stores in the area were putting their stock on the floor until the next day, let alone having a midnight party. :)

My biggest weakness was probably my brevity. I was warring with myself on how much to write because I did not want to add to the overwhelming reading you guys had to wade through.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 05:22:25 AM »
Thanks Jason! I probably should have mentioned that I broke the rules while on my LDS mission in order to read A Crown of Swords the day it came out and that a friend and I went to four different stores after midnight for Knife of Dreams only to find out none of the stores in the area were putting their stock on the floor until the next day, let alone having a midnight party. :)

LOL!  Awesome. Yeah. Tell us that sort of stuff.  Better yet, convince your local bookstore to HOST a midnight party and then tell us about it.   It's one thing to be a super fan, and another to be a super fan who makes stuff happen.  That's what we love in our Storm Leaders.

(Although we specifically chose more casual fans too cause they deserve to get perks too)

Good luck next year! No promises, but may the Force Source be with you.

J   
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »
If no one else made the list is it fair to declare this thread dead?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
If no one else made the list is it fair to declare this thread dead?

Still works as a place to talk about it all.

anyway, someone above was asking why some were picked over others?

when you fill out the application: think of it as a job, not a reward.

they're not picking the best fans, they're picking people who will help them run the signings.  I think that my two years in a bookstore, staffing multiple author signings at Loyola and Northwestern Universities is what made the difference.

anyway, good luck next year!
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I worked at the BYU Bookstore for three years and still have a relationship with several of the General Book staff. D'oh.
I guess that's what my point is, AGrey. You were rewarded for having a bookstore background, but that's not all they were looking for. Did you read Jason's post? They took FANS. CASUAL FANS. Hmm, interesting that. So, maybe not so much of a job interview, but how can one make one's self interesting to the powers that be.

If I am coming off as a touch bitter, I will admit I was a little at first. But I can appreciate the task of sifting through the applications and trying to find the best candidates is a difficult one. There isn't room for all. So the best the losers can do is learn from this year and try again next.

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
AGrey, I reread my last message and realized I responded a little harshly. Sorry about that. I agree with you that the organizers are looking for certain talents and skills, which is why you(deservedly) were selected. The point I disagreed with is that they were looking for the same in every candidate.

Anyway, best of luck at your signing. And may the Source be with you. (Sorry Jason, that's too good a line to pass up!) :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
By the way, if you live anywhere near Brandon, you do have the option of taking him (and Emily) out to eat sometime of your choosing. He accepts invitations like this with a reasonable frequency, especially if you can get a group of people together.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:22 AM »
AGrey, I reread my last message and realized I responded a little harshly.

actually, after posting my message and heading off to work, i realized that perhaps i should have been a little less gloaty with my post.

ah, well.  my bad.
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »
I apologize for being bitter earlier (to late to deny it isn't it....wait forget what i said i deny everything where is my lawyer!) it comes with a slight superiority complex (which I am working on and is gradually decreasing give 5 years :P) and bad luck for not being chosen for anything not work related (I get low wager jobs quickly and i interview well...probably better than i preform).... i can't ever remember being chosen for passing out cupcakes ect... little things build up and become frustrating

(if that made anyone pity me....you are wasting your time I'm a private person and it's a consepuence of my own actions and i only keep a small group of friends and never really hang out with aquaintances to make new friends)

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 05:49:36 AM »
Oh - and send me cookies. haha. j/k

If you're serious, I really do bake very good low-fat chocolate chip cookies... ;)  I think that this a really awesome thing you're doing for the fans and I just really hope to have a chance to participate during one of these releases.

I don't know if my favorite bookstore (Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego) would think they'd get enough traffic for a midnight release, but they've already been promoting the release in their emails.  I'll talk to them next time I stop by.

madpimp

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
Lurker here, but wanted to let Titus know that I'm on this board, too. (He's the leader in my group of storm leaders :) )

As far as the application goes, I honestly have no idea how I became a Storm Leader (aside from the fact that I've been reading WoT for 10 years).  However, I did read somewhere that if you are a leader this time around you can't be for the next 2 books, so I think everyone will have a better chance next time around if you care to try again!

-Kim N
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:19:06 PM by madpimp »

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »
Lurker here, but wanted to let Titus know that I'm on this board, too. (He's the leader in my group of storm leaders :) )
Not leader, silly. First among equals. We're a team, and I'm uhh... the only guy that some of the team's management will speak to. :P In the books, the only thing higher ranking than Tsorovan'm'hael is M'Hael (according to WoT Wiki), so we're all maxed. The M'Hael has to be Jason, who's either a forsaken just a dude who was forcibly made a forsaken's pawn by a circle of Blacks and myrddraal.
However, I did read somewhere that if you are a leader this time around you can't be for the next 2 books, so I think everyone will have a better chance next time around if you care to try again!
Aw, man! That would be way sad! I could totally understand, though.

Darkfriend power! Go us! And, in this case, the dark side literally does have cookies. Delicious oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. Oh, and some grasshopper cookies. I would die without those. (Oh no, my weakness is exposed!) *disappears to munch*
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie