Author Topic: Storm Leaders  (Read 9087 times)

mccullough

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Leaders
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
Anyone know why there is one person doing the two signings in Utah? I would think they would like to spread it out a little.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
I just asked Jason about that. It may be a mistake.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 12:48:12 AM »
If he was chosen for two locations on purpose, there must be a reason for it. Jason's on the list twice as well, but if you have ever visited DragonMount, you should know why.

Here's the list that was sent in the email (it's also posted at DM):

BYU Bookstore, Provo, UT (Oct 27, Midnight event)
Spencer P.
Nick A.
Sarah W.
Kayley H.
Jennifer M.
Ruth H.
Matt H.

Barnes & Noble, San Jose, CA
Mary M.
Chris F.
Chris W.
Nidya Z.
Scott E.
Paul M.
Jason D. (jwdenzel)

Bay Book Company, Half Moon Bay, CA
Patricia K. (mtbikemom)
Michael M.
Kyle H.
Robert C.
William K.
Jason D. (jwdenzel)
Matt H.

Borders, Chicago, IL
Brendan O.
Renae R.
Meesha M.
Peter B.
Brian G.
Gregory A. (AGrey)

Clarkston, GA
Jeffrey B.
Mike D.
Taylor Q.
Jim M.

Norcross Cultural Arts Center (Atlanta, GA)
Julia M.
Bob G.
Kenneth S.
Lisa B.
Jennifer L.
James L.

Charleston, SC
Tiffany F.
Mary F.
Amir Y.
Thomas W.
Kevin S.
Jennifer L.
James L.
Melissa C.
Bob K.
Wilson G.

Dallas, TX
Claire W.
Evan L.
Aubree P.
Rachel L.
James B.
Mike M.

New York, NY
Peter M.
Ted H.
Suzanne B.
Luis R.
Alec C.
Micheal G.
Leigh B.

Minneapolis, MN
Chad Q.
David W.
James D.
Joel P.
Phillip Z.

San Diego, CA
Greg L.
Heidi B.
Antony W.
Erin D.
Laura N.
Katie F.

Portland, OR
Kathy C.
Julie N.
Christopher B.
Stephen M.
Bethany P.
Jonathan K.

Salt Lake City, UT (Sam Weller's)
Jason B.
Jacob H. (Jakobus)
Stephanie R.
Kristy P.
Amie B.
Nichole L.
Matt H.

Scottsdale Public Library (Phoenix, AZ)
Matt W.
Ken F.
Maureen C.
Mahesh B.
Megan F.
Ted S.

Denver, CO
Janet H.
Brandon S.
Christopher S.
Josh V.
Joanna P.
Micah W.

Los Angeles, CA
Madigan M.
Gavin D.
Virginia O.
Nicole D.
Greg F.
Tess O.

Seattle, WA
Rebecca C.
Benjudah F.
John H.
Chris M.
Anna-Cajsa G.
Jared M.

Las Vegas, NV
Michael W.
Tranylle S.
Titus H. (sortitus)
Kim N. (madpimp)
Brandon W.

Dayton, OH
Melissa T.
Josh M.
Tim K.
Beth H.

Baltimore, MD
Susan M.
Matthew M.
Heather J.
Mike G.

Washington, DC
Lauren S.
Nathan D.
Joe D.
Steve R.
Carolyn H.

Boston, MA
Shannon B.
Jared K.
Nora M.
Peter K.
Andrew T.

Philadelphia, PA
Brian B.
Miriam B.
Jason O.
Paul G.
Pam H.

Lexington, KY
Ben G.
Shannan L.
Robert M.
Bradley S.
Mark W.

Toadstool, NH
Tim G.
Kevin D.
Connor L.
Meg L.
Ofer N.

I've highlighted the names of people on this forum (that I know of). I can highlight anyone who isn't highlighted that's on the forum or de-highlight anyone who doesn't want to be singled out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:21:15 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 03:28:08 AM »
Congrats to those who got it!

I guess I'll have to try again for Midnight Storm :-\

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 04:07:09 AM »
Ah. Having just finished the instruction manual, I can shed some light on the duplicated names issue.
Be aware that some fans have been invited by Tor to represent their websites at more than one event. So if you see Jason D., Leigh B., Jennifer L., or Matt H. at more than one of these events wearing their shirts, that's OK.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:17:54 AM by sortitus »
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »
I'm now going to spend the night crying myself to sleep!!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
Borders, Chicago, IL
Gregory A.

HIGHLIGHT ME, BABY! I'M IN!
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 12:44:05 AM »
I want to know why more of us weren't picked....by posting on the forum he uses it shows we like him significantly for reasons other than WoT... else we wouldn't spend, in some cases, obscene amount of time here. I think i just feel sour i didn't get picked.

P.S. my excuse is being honest ( on the why should Brandon and Harriet want to meet you I put I could string you along a story but simply there is no reason why they should want to meet a UTD freshman who can't even chase his dreams for fear of being a pauper.)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 01:14:05 AM »
Yeah, that question was a bit difficult. I just gave a background my WoT fandom and tipped my hat to Brandon by referencing Writing Excuses in the response. It wasn't particularly well written; I wrote my application late at night and got a bit emotional, but I kept it honest. I also suspect that there wasn't much competition for the Vegas signing. I really thought that I blew it with that answer. If I could do it again (wait, I do... next year!), I'd focus more on what makes me different as a person, not just as a fan. Typical job interview stuff (hasn't murdered anyone, likes long walks on the beach, has a tendency to ramble, etc.).

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »
I want to know why more of us weren't picked....by posting on the forum he uses it shows we like him significantly for reasons other than WoT... else we wouldn't spend, in some cases, obscene amount of time here. I think i just feel sour i didn't get picked.

P.S. my excuse is being honest ( on the why should Brandon and Harriet want to meet you I put I could string you along a story but simply there is no reason why they should want to meet a UTD freshman who can't even chase his dreams for fear of being a pauper.)

Hey there,

Look! I actually do lurk here on theses boards :D (And over at Reading Excuses when I can)

Thanks for this post.  I know it might sound strange coming from me, but I sincerely empathize with you over not being selected as a Storm Leader.  I know what its like to not be selected for something that I felt I'd be perfect for. :(

Choosing the Storm Leaders was, without a doubt, one of the hardest jobs Jenn and I have had in a long, long time.  I know that I specifically selected at least a couple of people who described themselves as die-hard Brandon fans who enjoyed MISTBORN and WARBREAKER as much as they do WoT.  The fact that you guys spend a lot of time on TWG is definitely in your favor.  But keep in mind that this is a Wheel of Time tour, and not a Brandon tour. (See the difference?) So while you might be a huge fan of Brandon's, there were a lot of die-hard WoT fans who also applied for these Storm Leader positions.  Jenn and I tried our best to choose SL's who came from both camps. 

If you did not get picked for this year, I encourage you to try again next year.  We'll be sure to include a method for you to tell us if you applied this first time around, and if so, that will be something in your favor.   And when you apply, be sure to mention that you are a frequent contributor to TWG!

Jason
These are not my stories. I just write them.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »
PS: Champion Kaz... Dallas was by far the most highly requested city that we had!  (Half Moon Bay, CA was the lowest if you want a hint for next year) ;-)

Kathana

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:34:41 PM »
I remember reading Kaz's application and liking his honesty enough that he went in my "To be considered" pile.

But yeah, Jason is right. This was incredibly difficult. There were FAR more qualified applicants than there were positions. If we could have picked all of you, we would have.

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 02:02:56 AM »
Jason, thanks for your insight. I guess I'm a little confused. In my application I wrote about being a fanboy of both authors. What should I include next year to warrant greater consideration?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »
I apoligize.... i have found most people prefer lies to honesty....and i applied in Dallas because it's the only one i could possibly make. Anyone know how many books we can get signed? I was thinking on bringing my Mistborn books with me along with TGS.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 04:53:51 AM »
I apoligize.... i have found most people prefer lies to honesty....and i applied in Dallas because it's the only one i could possibly make.

Not sure I agree that "most people prefer lies to honesty", but I get what you're trying to say.  My "tip" about Half Moon Bay having better odds was mostly a joke. If you applied to a specific event, that's the one you got. There are not "switch ups" later on.

Anyone know how many books we can get signed? I was thinking on bringing my Mistborn books with me along with TGS.

That will be up to the specific book seller hosting the event.  We'll try to gather that info and post it on Dragonmount.com

Jason, thanks for your insight. I guess I'm a little confused. In my application I wrote about being a fanboy of both authors. What should I include next year to warrant greater consideration?

Hi mccullough -- I don't have any specific advice. I honestly wish there was.  99% of the applications we received were "worthy".  We just looked for a good mix of people for each city. We looked for people with different levels of interest in the series (everyone is die hard, but some have been reading for 20 years and some for 1. Those are examples of two very different perspectives on the series, and we wanted to honor both). We selected people who had interesting jobs. We selected people who were aspiring writers. We selected stay at home moms. We selected teenagers in high school. Basically we tried to find a diverse group.  And sometimes... we just had to flip a coin. 

So for next year, just let us know what you're into, mention that you read every BS / WoT book the minute it gets posted, and mention that you're a contributor to this website's forums.

Oh - and send me cookies. haha. j/k

J