Author Topic: Supernatural  (Read 3233 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Supernatural
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:17:22 AM »
I've been watching this show on and off for a couple years now, catching the odd episode when I can. A couple weeks ago, I decided to sit down and work my way through the first couple seasons.

I can officially say it; this show is AWESOME! It mixes superb acting with dark horror/action and some truly hilarious moments in a television vintage for the ages. Here's a description of the show stolen from cwtv.com, but it doesn't do it justice.
Twenty-three years ago, Sam Winchester (Jared Padalecki) and Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. Subsequently, their father John (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, "Grey's Anatomy") raised them to be soldiers. He taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it.

For most of season one, I was just enjoying the cool action scenes and great special effects and wondering about hints at a plot twist, but I was completely blown away by the season finale. Somehow while I wasn't looking they sneaked a theme in there. The show had stopped being good and became great.

I should warn you, it can get a bit raunchy at times. Also, keep in mind it is firmly in the horror genre. However, and this is coming from someone who doesn't watch horror movies, the pure SCARY aspect of it was well within my threshold.

Now go watch it already!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:45:53 AM »
Wow I can't think of a more offensive piece of tripe than "Supernatural", unless it's "Touched by an Angel".  Supernatural is just dangerous.  It desensitizes unprotected people to some of  the very real potential hazards to the psyche of unbelievers. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:08:09 AM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
Alright. Of course everyone has a right to their opinion. The Bible clearly affirms that there is a spiritual battle going on within our souls and that angels and demons do exist. And of course any time fiction about the supernatural world is presented, you must be careful. However, you need to remember it is FICTION.

Although the name sounds vaguely familiar I've never watched Touched by an Angel. Is that where people share their own experiences of meetings with angels? In that case, I would have to agree with you.

So far, Supernatural has not really been about the spiritual realm as much as it is about zombies and vampires, which I don't find any more offensive than watching Tom Hanks fight off the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
I watch this show for the pure popcorn value. I personally think the acting is average at best (though there are moments that surprise me), but I dig it. There are some awesome pop-culture one-liners that get me laughing, and I actually like their take on vampires more than most. I don't take the show seriously, and it's fiction, so I don't find anything in it offensive in the least.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »
Wow I can't think of a more offensive piece of tripe than "Supernatural", unless it's "Touched by an Angel".  Supernatural is just dangerous.  It desensitizes unprotected people to some of  the very real potential hazards to the psyche of unbelievers. 

Wow. I know everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but that statement is just out there. How in the world is it dangerous?

For the record, Reaves, I thoroughly enjoy the show. It is one of the best programs on television at the moment. Although now, it is drifting away from the general "Monster-of-the-week" episodes in favor of a more story-arc driven plot, but it is still good nonetheless.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:11:13 PM by CthulhuKefka »

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
Personally, I'm a fan of the show. I've never understood what people are so concerned about when it comes to religious things being in a television show or movie. It seems every time anyone goes near angels or demons the flame wars begin. My brother in law told us not to take our kids to The Golden Compass because it would convince them not to believe in Jesus. I told him that if our kids could be desensitized to the message of christianity by a movie that appeared to have people riding polar bears, we were all in a world of hurt. Just my two cents.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
The whole Golden Compass outcry was because the author is a militant atheist in England. It actually had nothing to do with the movie itself because most of those against it, knew nothing about it. I actually dont recommend the movie for kids because of a few graphic scenes (such as a polar bear getting his jaw ripped off in a fight.)