Author Topic: 2009-2010 TV Shows  (Read 6672 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
2009-2010 TV Shows
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »
Wow, I'm interested in precious few shows this coming year, and two of them will be competing for time with two others (hello Hulu).

Monday: House, Lie to Me.
Monday (Winter): Chuck (will Hulu House), Day One (will at least check this out and Hulu Lie to Me)

Wednesday: Eastwick (Will try it, though it could go horribly wrong)

Thursday: FlashForward

That's it. Nothing else looks any good. (Well, may catch the Simpsons every once in a while.) And we don't get cable, so Stargate: Universe will have to wait for DVD.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-2010 TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »
Heh. I haven't watched TV since I went to college. Can't be bothered to keep the channels/schedules straight, can't match my schedule to theirs, can't stand commercials, CERTAINLY can't afford a DVR. Hulu would be TVs saving grace if:
a) It had more shows, and
b) The networks didn't pull the back catalog after a few weeks.

Seriously. I only watch TV on Hulu, and then only when I can, and usually that means I would miss some episodes because they pull the old ones too soon (I quit watching Heros and House for this reason).

Someday, there will be no "broadcast" cable TV. Internet streaming on-demand, with full back-catalog, will replace it. Even if it has to wait until either all of the old studios or all of their old executives are dead. Maybe then I'll be interested in TV again.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
I haven't looked at the new schedule, but the only show I really watch these days is Leverage on TNT (technically, on TNT.com since I don't have cable either).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:10:52 AM »
with a combination of DVR and Netflix, we are going to experiment on a lot of shows this year.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:35:09 PM »
I am curious as to how many people don't have cable and get their TV from the internet. We live in a place that gets no broadcast signal, (or didn't at least) so everyone has cable/satellite and look at us oddly when we say we don't have them.
Comments/opinions?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »
I have cable, but I wasn't given a choice in the matter. Provo housing, y'know? I don't actually use it, though. All my TV, when I watch anything, is through the Internet.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
I have some kind of extreme basic cable that includes local networks plus History, Discovery, and Travel. Aside from stuff like late night Mythbusters and No Reservations, all the TV I watch is online.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Dollhouse is quite good this season.  That's the only show that I'm really watching.  I have seen a few episodes of Psych on Hulu, but only because I was tired and wanted to laugh.  <shrug>
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »
I dont really do hulu much because only a few of the shows have closed captioning

I also stopped watching most Fox shows because the captioning gets all screwed up on almost all of the shows.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
We have been watching Stargate: Universe on Hulu, and are liking it so far, even though it's different from previous Stargate series. (But it does not have closed captioning. That seems lame.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
SG:U has been OK so far. It feels like Stargate Galactica, which could be good or bad. I feel like the story and characters all have potential, so I continue recording it on the DVR.  I really like the actor who plays Rusch. He was great in 28 Weeks Later, and this shows his skills. I do, however, feel that he is really similar to Baltar for BSG, only with no humor.

This is the challenge I see the show having; getting away from the BSG comparisons, and not getting stuck in the "We only have 12 hours on this planet, and we'll solve the issue 5 minutes before the gate closes" rut.

I'm patient, so I can wait a while to see where they go with it.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:40:02 AM »
Peter, try "The Middle" on ABC.  Surprisingly wholesome and kooky.  I usually dislike sitcoms, but this one is laugh-out-loud for me. 

If you have not watched "Journeyman" on Fancast, you are missing out.  It was so good and canceled after one season while the "Bionic Girl" (Woman?) and lots of other nonsense was renewed.

I know Castle is bad, but I watch it anyway.  I'm a girl!  It works for me as a guilty pleasure and I love Castle's relationship with his daughter and his eccentric mom.  I know, the drawn out sexual tension is as old a T.V. plot device as dirt, but a good romantic comedy is refreshing sometimes, as long as it stays outta the gutter.  Dollhouse is decidedly gutter for me.  But I am practically Victorian.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:56:24 AM »
We watched Journeyman when it was on and loved it. Are not in the mood for any sitcoms.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:35:07 AM »
It's probably not that funny if you don't have teenagers yet, anyway.  But the racist boss is so funny.  And the really eccentric eight-year-old.  And the parental dilemmas are written so well.  I don't even know why I started watching it because I also am never in the mood for sitcoms.  Except for Sunday nights at 8:30 PT now.  Heehee.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »
All that matters is that Chuck is back on in January.