Author Topic: Aug 31 - Erik Holmes - The Sword of Worlds - Chapter 14 & 15  (Read 2834 times)

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
Re: Aug 31 - Erik Holmes - The Sword of Worlds - Chapter 14 & 15
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
The main issue, I think, is that Ellie's actions lack urgency. Her friend is lying bleeding in the forest somewhere, or so she thinks, she has no idea how to help him, no idea how to even get back to him, and her wandering off in the first place didn't make much sense, either.

There's also the problem that some of the dialogue, especially the lines of the woman who takes Ellie in, feels a bit wooden. More like pure exposition than actual speech.

I did not, however, feel that any part of Kail's chapter was an infodump or filler, or anything of the sort. I fully agree with Raven, the exchange of the rings feels significant enough without any added explanation, and I think it works very well as a chapter of its own. I'd maybe even go so far as to say that there wasn't enough info being dumped. ;)

A final thought: if Bloodbath does get offed this early, it will make him appear to be something of a deus ex machina in retrospect. He came, he helped, he died so as not to upset the balance of the plot. That may be the time delay in between submissions speaking, though, it's hard to get a sense of how much time one would have spent reading up to this point.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 02:48:58 AM »
The main issue, I think, is that Ellie's actions lack urgency. Her friend is lying bleeding in the forest somewhere, or so she thinks, she has no idea how to help him, no idea how to even get back to him, and her wandering off in the first place didn't make much sense, either.

I've actually come to the conclusion that this is the weakest point in my novel so far. Ellie running off to get Kail help is pretty weak. I've been trying to think of other reasons for them to get separated but still need to work on it a bit.

I've thought about making the village a lot closer, like just an hour or two away. I could see that making more sense. Ellie thinks leaving him alone for two hours is better then not getting him help, but an hour into the journey gets attacked by the Draken.

When Bloodbath finds her, they go back for Kail, only to find him gone without a trace. They go to the village to see if he is there.

I think that might make a little more sense that the current flow of events.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 04:20:27 AM »
When Bloodbath finds her, they go back for Kail, only to find him gone without a trace. They go to the village to see if he is there.

Except Bloodbath would certainly know trollface's scent and where she lives. He'd probably be even less inclined to pay her a visit.

(Yeah, I can't remember her name off the top of my head, so trollface it is.)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 04:47:23 AM »
LOL, I thought of that, Trollface (Kajsa tells me shes going to kill you in your sleep btw) actually wouldn't leave a scent for Bloodbath to follow. It has to do with the things with the wind you've seen from her.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!