Author Topic: COVER ART  (Read 6322 times)

echigo109

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
COVER ART
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:06:20 AM »
why are all of the cover art for brandons books so girly. there good books, but as a boy i feel weird/ akward bying a book with a picture of a girl breathing a rainbow.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: COVER ART
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:05:28 AM »
To hide, buy online and take the dust jacket off when you read in public.

I really like the art on most of Brandon's books, especially Warbreaker. Besides, covers with girls on them will get you the ladies. Am I right? Ladies? Back me up on this! Please?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »
I thought Warbreaker's cover was awesome.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »
If more people did judge books by their cover then Warbreaker would be the #1 seller. It's cover art is amazing!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
The first Alcatraz book does not have any girls on it.

I like Brandon's covers. Though I have high hopes that Way of Kings will have his most awesome cover yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »
I understand what your saying but I also disagree. Warbreakers cover was great and the video showing the guy painting it was crazy. Not only that but the cover art for HoA was also amazing.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:14:49 AM »
why are all of the cover art for brandons books so girly. there good books, but as a boy i feel weird/ akward bying a book with a picture of a girl breathing a rainbow.

Because girly covers are awesome, duh. :D

And seriously, we as men need to get over our insecurities about being too interested in anything "girly". It's pretty hilarious how averse to pink many men are today given the fact that the gender associations of pink and blue actually swapped in the past- blue used to be considered a passive, feminine colour because it is a "cool" colour, while pink is "warm" and bright which led to its perception as a manly and virile colour. Funny how the more things change the more they stay the same, right?

Besides, she's breathing out a fragment of someone else's soul in order to give commands to an inanimate object. That's like being a magical hacker. It's so cool it shouldn't matter even if there's a unicorn jumping a rainbow in the background. :P

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »
Unfortunately the background is too dark to see the unicorn.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:31 AM »
i think i both agree and disagree at the same time... somehow. because i have seen the mock up of the other possible cover for this book i was a little disappointed with the one they chose. i think the other one is in the fan art thread somewhere and it showed Vasher instead of "mystery princess", Breathing, Nightblood strapped across his back, silhouetted (i know i most likely spelled that wrong) from behind by a multicolored light. that picture was awesome and i wish they had went with it (maybe for the sequel? please?), but i still like this cover. the mistborn covers r just awesome in my opinion. sure its a girl, but i have no problem with that. they all have the actiony feel to them
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 06:25:11 PM »

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
Considering more females read and buy fantasy than males, I'm not surprised at all. And considering females are the main PoV's of all his novels, it makes perfect sense to me. Also, an attractive looking girl on the cover will make a guy stop an look at the book. Simple marketing. Warbreaker is a beautiful cover, not only in art, but in terms of design as well. I am super stoked for his WoK covers.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:54:22 AM »
The cover chosen was better than the vasher sketch me thinks... and steve do chix really read more fantasy than guys? Wow that's a shock with the gender ratio on this forum seemingly (to myself atleast) having more males.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Kestrel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:55:39 AM »
Hon, no offense, but are you like twelve? You're really worried about buying a book because of its cover? On top of that, I don't even know what you're complaining about. Warbreaker's cover is stylish and gorgeous, and the hardcover Mistborn novels are absolutely stunning. Vibrant, unique, gorgeous, they're practically perfect--especially Hero of Ages. I wish more authors could manage such attractive covers, I can't stand the vast majority of fantasy novels that look like they belong on some 80s hair metal album cover, even if the inside content is fantastic.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
The cover chosen was better than the vasher sketch me thinks... and steve do chix really read more fantasy than guys? Wow that's a shock with the gender ratio on this forum seemingly (to myself atleast) having more males.

I talked about this at a meeting of Waldenbooks managers from around the country a while back. We all had the same observation: girls bought more fantasy--and novels in general--than guys.

And judging a book by it's cover? Absolutely. It happens all the time. Almost every person browsing the section of the bookstore will pick up a book based purely on the cover. That's why they have covers. Their sole purpose is to get you to pick up the book and read the back so you will consider buying it. Brandon's covers may be slightly feminine, but they successfully grab a browsers attention. I would argue about Elantris and Well of Ascension being girlie though. They aren't at all. All of his covers, in my opinion, are awesome (Hero of Ages is my least fav. by far though), but don't ever underestimate a fantasy buyers preference of covers. For example, I flat-out refuse to buy the new WoT in the US. The cover ruins the novel. This is why I bought the UK edition. When it comes, it will be the only edition I will recognize as legit.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/