Author Topic: A question about time.  (Read 3636 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: A question about time.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:20:31 AM »
It's very nice to be able to give a friend a precise time to meet though. I mean, "meet me at noon," can still cause a pretty massive wait for the first person to get there if you don't have clocks. Of course, if you don't care about most of your day being spent waiting, a less time-centric society is great.

I really would love to do away with the mad regimented time crap we all have to deal with, but it's so darn useful. :)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 01:21:34 AM »
I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that I think it's a product of our modern culture. :P

...Just something to consider, as most of us are writing in quasi-medieval settings.

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 04:41:04 AM »
soooooo... hours, minutes and seconds.  Got it.
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »
For myself, I use hours, and minutes if I have to. I try to avoid seconds, though. Barring any extraordinary fantasy environments, would the ordinary person in your culture think like that?

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

westwriter

• Level 3
  • Outnumbered by critics
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
Minutes and hours is all I needed.  Minutes are the primary element I had a question about.  I think the general consensus is to leave it as is.  Thanks for all the input everybody!
"I limit my writing to those few moments each day when my insanity goes on a smoking break."      greg